Different director for 4th Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Nice trailer. I think the movie is shaping up well. I can't wait to see the final cut!

JonZ

Lead Actor
Reaction score
"I'll disappoint you because I'm just a tiny, tiny little part in the next one. I'm just embers in the fire. But if I do Harry Potter five, I'm featured in five. And, oh, they'll have to pay me big bucks for that."

Which is my problem wth getting big names for films like this.
Was there a scheduling conflict?Or he wanted too much for such a small part? I dont know the details. A couple days filming would be all they needed for his part in Goblet.

Anyway, this looks great!

Vickie_M

Producer
Reaction score
Fiennes and Newell were dedicated to going as human as possible with Voldemort's look. I think what we see here is a pretty good indication of that philosophy. Fits in relatively well with my mental imagine is that I see that and instantly think: "That's Voldemort!"
Amazing that they would do something that subtle with CGI then. That looks like it could easily have been done with prosthetics, but I swear, Feinnes had no prosthethics on his face, only green dots on his nose and forehead. He was bald too.

TheLongshot

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jason
Five will be interesting, since there are a bunch of old characters who come back in some form. I'm going to be interested who they decide to bring back...

Jason

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Greg
Neville's been there all along, but he's been downplayed. I hope his scenes from OOTP make it.

Qui-Gon John

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Co
I was just completely sold on Columbus's vision, which came very close to matching what I saw in my mind's eye when reading the books, and Cuaron's version came as a bit of a shock. I know some thought Columbus was too close to the source and thought his approach was too by rote and dry.
I too prefer Columbus' take on it. It's sad but true, the exact people who saw Columbus' movies first and thought it was "too close to the source" or whatever, would have been the ones screaming if the first 2 movies were quite different from the book.

Matt Stone

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't have a problem with Columbus staying "too close to the source" in the first two films, and I thought his style (or lack there off) matched the books well. That being said, Cuaron's style knocked my socks off. Whether it felt like the book or not, his vision worked better on film than Columbus's. IMO of course.

todd s

Lead Actor
Reaction score
My one small nitpick between Columbus' and Cuaron's versions is Hogwarts. The some of the outdoor sets were completely different. (ie-Hagrid's hut). Nothing major, but it takes a little something away.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Reaction score
LOL, just for the record...and I don't truly want to offend anyone, but...

I *hated* Columbus' direction of the first two films and loved Cuaron's POA.

I thought Cuaron's depiction of the passing of the school year (which was mainly visual, BTW, go back and look) was beautifully, even poetically, accomplished.

I find the first two HP movies very hard going indeed except for the wonderful casts and some of the art direction. I don't mind if other folks prefer the Chris Columbus HPs but the SS and CoS are just too lead footed for me to love, no matter how "faithful" they may be. (I don't like CC's other films either and was disappointed he was originally chosen to helm HP.)

Since I'm a big fan of the books, and have been since they came out, I'll be very interested to see what Newell has done with HP IV. The trailer is fab.

I'm not one for literal film adaptations - I think they often result in quite wooden and "uncinematic" movies. Page and screen are two different languages and a film must, by its vey nature, be a different thing from a book. There is no way a director can please every reader - in the end, it comes dfown to one person's vision.

The key for me is whether the filmmakers preserve the spirit and integrity of the original literature, which I think, Cuaron did. I quite liked his additions. In some instances, I think he even (gasp! choke!) improved on the book. Even if POA wasn't "literally" as faithful as SS and CoS, it's the only Potter movie so far that gives me the same *feeling* watching it that I have while reading the books. My only complaints (and they're mild ones at that) are that I hoped for more background on the Marauder's Map and James Potter etc.

I was sad Richard Harris passed away and thought he was fine as Dumbledore but I'm quite pleased by Michael Gambon in the role. I think he will only get better as the films progress - he's a wonderful actor. The best choice IMO, for Dumbledore would have been John Hurt, who of course already has a part in the Potter films.

I find it best not to worry about what I can't change, and I don't fret overmuch about the inevitable changes. I will watch GoF on its own terms. Of course, being inly human, I'll compare it to the other HP films but I'm pretty confident Newell has built on the strengths Cuaron infused into the series.

Vickie_M

Producer
Reaction score
There's another trailer that's just been released too. Go to http://www.veritaserum.com/ scroll down to "Another new GOF trailer airs in UK" and look at Update 3. You can get a high-definition version. It has a lot of scenes that the new American trailer doesn't have. Wheras the American trailer starts out with some comedic scenes, this one is dark from the get go.

Claire, you're going to LOVE the movie! Newell has definitely built on Cuaron's strengths.

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Greg
That's an astoundingly good trailer. I can't wait to see the one just prior on the big screen before Corpse Bride.

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
That is another great trailer. Must be adding up to a great movie

Just beautiful,
Chuck

Brook K

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Thought both trailers were excellent (except for a couple of overly silly things like Harry's spit take) but I can only hope I'm happier with this movie than the previous 3.

My problem is with the scripts rather than the directors visual interpretations. Because of the necessity of introducing everything, SS was forced to spend lots of time on the characters and thus it is my favorite. The other two, while fine in their pre-Hogwarts moments, both suffer from becoming "the greatest hits of the action scenes from the books". Once we get to the school everything seems to go into fast forward and POA especially loses much of the fine development and flavor of the book.

todd s

Lead Actor
Reaction score
One of the things I like about Azkaban. Was that we saw more of what life is like for Wizards outside of Hogwarts. In both London and Hogsmead.

Ray H

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ray
The newer trailer is even cooler than the new trailer! Hopefully there will be a higher resolution version available soon.

My question is whose voice is that talking to Harry? Saying, "You're the boy who lived!" and whatnot. Was that Madeye? If so, he sounds kinda strange.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
I was wondering how they were going to make the Quidditch World Cup grandiose considering how grandiose they made school Quidditch, but that certainly captures it - wow!

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
I believe it is Sirius Black who says "You're the boy who lived".

Love the international theatrical trailer!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
degroof