What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Depressing story about Gabriel Yared's rejected Troy score... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Well, this certainly isn't the first time a well-respected composer has been replaced. One of the scoring greats, John Barry, has probably set a record in recent years for replaced scores. Jerry Goldsmith has certainly had quite a few replaced too, including Timeline last year.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Indeed. But it's the manner in which the issue was allegedly handled (Petersen allegedly not even speaking to Yared about the decision), in addition to the fact that it happened at all, that's odious to me.

Speaking of Barry, a side anecdote: I'm reminded of comments Costner makes on the MGM Dances SE. He acknowledges now that--unbeknownst to him at the time--Barry was probably offended by Costner's having asked him to re-write some of the cues.

Snooty on Barry's part to resent being asked to re-write something? Perhaps. Admirably mensch-like for Costner to acknowledge that he was a little naive and green in the way he treated his Oscar-winning composer at the time? You betcha.

-p

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not a huge fan of Costner's films ('cept for The Postman even if it was an hour too long) but he's always come across as a good guy as a person.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Well, I don't really know if this is different than the other times a composer has been replaced other than it may be the first time the composer has spoken out about the circumstances. Most of the time a rejected score is noted in Film Score Monthly without a comment from those involved. I doubt it's ever wine and roses when someone is told that all of their creative effort will be for naught and never appear on the screen. Offhand I can't think of a time a composer whose score has been rejected by a director has ever worked with that director again.

BobV

Second Unit
I read the article having no opinion of this composer, nor any substantial opinion of any other composer other than I enjoy movie scores tremendously (and do have a long background in music)... I think this 'Gabriel Yared' did get the short end of the stick. His score was rejected after months of collaboration with the director with no hints of disatisfaction, in fact much the opposite (if what is written is true). The track that was used to 'shop' the score was also not a finished mix, but a rushed edit of monitor mixes. This would definitely affect the overall feel of the score and 'fixing' the score to more accomodate the illicited comments of 'overpowering' and 'too big' would probably have been possible. The comments of 'too old' and 'dated' though, I think, would be very hard to change as those accusations are more to the 'heart' of the music, than it's certain mix. On that issue, I would then say that the director probably did have the right to toss the score aside for another try at it. Although one has to wonder if the comments of a few are really viable enough to do that, but that gets into the other subject test screening.

It could have been handled a bit better, but in my opinion, in the end its the director's call, even if it hurts.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'll have to offer the obvious agree to disagree concession. Just because the end (the firing of a composer) "hurts" and is de rigueur in the biz doesn't mean that the means (the way the firing is handled) can't be done in a respectful, appropriate, professional fashion.

Wolfgang's been directing for over 30 years, almost 20 of those in Hollywood since 1981's Das Boot. He ought to have developed the politesse necessary to make tough decisions on his films and still maintain relationships with talent. An Oscar-winning composer (and, as an aside, its worth mentioning that Wolfie--unlike Yared--hasn't won an Oscar) shouldn't have to take to the Internet to complain about how he was treated on a major Hollywood film by its director.

-p

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Eh, who cares, judging from the trailer this unreleased score is probably being done a favor by not being associated with this yawn of a movie.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ooh, I follow a thread-fart. Cool!

I think it's awful that a piece of music can essentially be LOST before it's even released. I'd love to see a line of 'alternate/unused score' DVDs. Yared's a fine composer in my book, and I'd be very interested in hearing the score that was unacceptable for this movie.

And what's it say about Horner that he can step in and toss out a full score in like two months? :D

Michael Holmes

Auditioning
Well, I'm pretty sure most of you have already heard segments of Yared's rejected score (GabrielYared dotcom if you haven't yet - "News", "The Score for Troy"), so we might as well try to take it another step and get this soundtrack the commercial release it deserves!

And what better way than... a petition!

Yeah, it's lame, but if you think about it, it could be that last-minute encouragement the Brothers Warner need to seriously consider giving Yared's score some kind of release.

Anyways, here's the link - spread the word and let's scrape up a fair amount of sigs!

petitiononline.com/gyared/petition.html (Sorry, can't post HTML)

If someone could post a direct link, that would be great!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So instead of Yared's score they just imported the annoying chanting chick who did Gladiator? You know--the "oooo-oooo-ooooo" chick. ;) :D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Carlo, I know you put smileys behind your comments, but the female vocalist James Horner used for Troy--not to mention his whole damn score for the picture--is so much less impressive and memorable than the work of Hans Zimmer and "the annoying chanting chick who did Gladiator" (I'll assume you're being facetious and know her name is Lisa Gerrard) that I have to comment in protest. :)

-p

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Bummer that Yared's site no longer has the original score. Hopefully it will see the light of day. Anyone have any working links to the music?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks