What's new

Denon 3802 - Shuts Down :( (1 Viewer)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I just brought home a brand new Denon 3802 Receiver, hooked it all up, set up the inputs, the test tones, everything is ready to go.
Set to the Satellite input, watch HD-Showtime and HD-HBO for a few minutes, no problems.
Got out the DTS Twister, put it in, selected DTS, pressed play, then click, the receiver turned off, the standby light flashing. Turned the receiver back on, then a couple seconds later, click back off.
Read the manual, claims the shut-down will occur if the speaker terminals are short circuited. Well, unless connecting speakers got more complex since the last time I've wired a receiver, I merely just put the raw wire (about 1/2 inch long) into the hole and clamped it down, no wire hanging out the other end or anything.
Just for kicks, I unplugged all the speaker wire from the back and the unit still shuts down, so I'm pretty sure I just got a lemon. I may restrip the speaker wire for kicks, but I'm 99% sure it won't do anything. I do have banana plugs that I was using with my old Onkyo 838 receiver, but Denon plugs are wider apart and don't fit.
Anyway, that's my sad story. Back to the store later today I guess. They don't keep this in stock at the store, but hopefully they'll be able to get a hold of one within a couple-three days.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What make and model speakers do you have hooked to it?
Are they 8 ohm, 6 ohm, 4 ohm? This kind of receiver may have a tough time with low impedence speakers.
Just a thought.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The speakers are Definite Technology BP10s for the Fronts, CLR1000 for the center, and BP2's for the rear. I'm not sure of the ohms, the webpage says "compatible with 4-8 ohms".
[Edited last by PerryD on August 04, 2001 at 01:38 PM]

PerryD

Supporting Actor
For those interested, I returned my defective 3802 and swapped it for their demo unit (they could have ordered another for me but it would have taken a couple days). I actually thought it was a good idea at this point to get their demo unit since I know it works. My wife thought I should have gotten a discount, but it was my choice.
Anyway, the new unit works great. Watched a couple movies, one DTS and one Dolby Digital with no problems.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Glad it worked out. Must have been a bum power supply.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Chip E

Screenwriter
Perry, like Dan said...prolly just a bum unit. Hell, i plucked down $2900.00 plus tax for a B&K 307 a couple months back and it was bad...sound drops all over the place. If it makes you or your wife feel any better, that demo 3802 CAN'T be any more than two weeks old, can it? Ain't no biggie, same warranty.. Good luck pal, let us know how everything goes..
- Chip
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks