Denon AVR 3802 shuts down?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Bossman, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Peter Bossman

Peter Bossman Auditioning

Hello all,

My Denon AVR 3802 has a tendency to shut down when I'm playing a movie at >65dB.

I have to admit that where it's located doesn't allow much room for "breathing".

Could it be that it's just overheating and going into a protection mode?

Due to the lack of space, would it be OK to put a fan on top of the unit to help cool it? Should it blow in or pull out? Would it be better just to put one behind it and blow over?

It sucks watching Lord of the Rings and having the receiver quit everytime the action gets good.

Thanks.
    Pete

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Peter,

Something doesn't sound right. I know alot of people here on this board with 3802's that don't have fans. How old is the receiver. How hot does the receiver get when it turns off?

Loose speakers connections are usually the number 1 cause for receiver shutdowns. Try to avoid using bare wire, and instead use banana connections. Much easier and gets a better connection.

Let us know.

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Do you have 4 ohm speakers? Also check the size of the speaker wire and as was posted all your connections. Read my post on hooking up speakers in the basics forum. There was one 3802 about 7 months ago that was doing this on this forum and his crossovers were defective on his speakers. It burned his amp to a golden brown. Denon still replaced it, but please check your system out. You need good ventilation. Mine is exposed on the top of my TV bridge over my 61" RPTV.
    As the Greg said "somethings not right".

5. Lee Daza

Lee Daza Agent

If the receiver is in an enclosure and the space above it is at least 1-2 inches you could try one of these from Radio Shack, mounted with sticky tape above your receiver with the exhaust pointing toward the back(assuming that's where the ventilation is). You would have to power it via a 12V source but these puppies move some serious air and are relatively quiet.

6. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Ive actually seen a (very) old PC power supply powering two small (60mm maybe?) fans behind an amp... should work on older power supplys that dont have extra little circuits that only allow them to power up when connected to a motherboard, etc.... If you have a very old PC, you can rip the PS out and use it for your fan.

Hope everything works out with your 3802

7. Jack Van

Jack Van Auditioning

I have a Denon 3802 driving 7 speakers from B&W including the bigger 604-S2. This receiver does run pretty hot when going all out and does need some air atop and aside to keep things cool.
    Actually I was quite surprised to know how hot it does run. However please note that no matter what I have thrown at it, including Lord of The Rings and We were Soldiers, the only thing that gave out in the end was me. I was shell shocked to be sure.
    I highly recommend this unit.

8. Brian_McC

Brian_McC Auditioning

I am having the same problem. Had the unit cranked up for the first time tonight, having watched a number of movies at lower volume in the past. System cut out, and getting the flashing light of the protection circuit up front. Have tried to give it time, and have tried to reset "factory settings" using the power-down/power-up thing with the Auto and PCM buttons pushed, to no avail. Any further suggestions?

BRM

9. Earl Simpson

If you have 8 ohm speakers and you are sure everything is hooked up right plus your speakers are ok, then at this point we may have a bad batch of Denons. Maybe. How loud do you crank it up and do you have a sub?

10. Brian_McC

Brian_McC Auditioning

I am running Polk Lsi's, front, center, and sides, which are nominally 4 ohms. I am have an SVS PCi sub. I was standing in front of the screen, and turning it up with the remote, so I have no idea on quantifying "how loud".

BRM

11. Earl Simpson

If there is any way you can test it on 8 ohm speakers, you could eliminate the speakers as the problem. Some 4 ohm speakers are lower than 4 ohms. And some have bad crossovers. Look at the level on your sound/volume display. + 12 is too loud. -19 for theatre is almost too loud for me. I would guess it is your speakers, but it still could be a bad batch of Denons. Try varying your speaker selection from small to large and large to small and see if there is a difference.

Are you running any rear speakers? If not, be sure that they are deselected in the menu.

12. Brian_McC

Brian_McC Auditioning

I have tried to reset it without any speakers attached, and it still failed to restart. As a result, I shipped the receiver back today. Any suggestions, besides "turn it down", to prevent this from happening again? Other tests that I should run with the new receiver to see if there is something in the wiring or the speakers that caused this? Open to suggestions.

Thanks,

BRM

13. Earl Simpson

Brian, You did right to send it back. However, I would not turn on a rcvr without all the speakers hooked up to every amp on the rcvr and those speakers selected in the menu. Be sure to hook your 7speakers + sub up first and select all 7 in the menu. If it does it again ( hope not), your Denon may not like the low ohms on your speakers. If you are running 5 or 6 speakers, be sure you have them set up in the menu correctly.

You could do a wire continuity check. Take your ohm meter and check your wires for each speaker for breaks and shorts. You should get zero ohms with them disconnected and infinite ohms with them twisted together at one end. Then check all your speakers on another cheap amp two at a time.

14. Brian_McC

Brian_McC Auditioning

Very helpful. Thanks. Is there any point to using a "line cleanser", if I have the term correct? Something that makes the current more uniform. Could that have been the problem, or am I best spending my time looking elsewhere?

BRM

15. Earl Simpson

I don't think that's your problem. I use a surge protector on all my stuff for surges. You have a different problem, and lets hope a new rcvr fixes it. A surge protector just drains off excess volts to the ground or neutral. A line conditioner would be ok, but I don't think it is necessary and it could hurt if it is not big enough to handle your rcvr.

16. Earl Simpson

Brian, here is another option. Not a good one, but it will work. Try wiring two speakers in series ( see my basics post on wiring speakers) for each of your front channels, if you have the problem again. This will let you know that these speakers have too low of an ohmage. If it works with two in series on each channel and you have deselected all the channels that you do not have speakers set up for, then you have three options = put two speakers on certain channels and buy some 8 ohm for the rest, get another rcvr = sony 5es/onkyo 898/hk 520/Yamaha 2200, or use the 3802 as a pre-pro. I love my 3802, but I do have 8 ohm speakers.
    I'm salivating after the 5800 and 5803. Once you get the bug, you have it forever.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]