What's new

Need Help with Denon AVR-2312CI Receiver: Front Speakers Intermittently Cut Out – Any Advice? (1 Viewer)

iKokomo

Grip
Real Name
Carl Oak
Occasionally and seemingly at random, while using my Denon AVR-2312CI , I hear a clicking sound (similar to the sound it makes when turning on or switching channels), and the front left and right speakers stop functioning. After some time, also randomly, I hear the same clicking sound again, and the unit starts working properly.

Simply toggling the power on and off doesn't resolve the issue; I have to wait for a while before the front left and right speakers come back to life.

The problem is quite sporadic. Sometimes, I can go for weeks without any issues, but on other occasions, it may happen five or six times during a single viewing session. I attempted a full reset of the unit, which appeared to resolve the problem for a couple of weeks before it resurfaced.

In terms of my setup, I have a 5.1 speaker configuration connected to the unit.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It sounds like it's going into protection mode. The first thing to look for is any stray wires on the affected connections, at both ends. Unfortunately, that's probably not what's causing it though.

Does it happen when you are playing something loud, or there's a lot of bass? If so, do you have subwoofer(s) and if so, what is the crossover to them set at? Try setting it higher.

The fact is, that's a 12 year old receiver, and it could just be worn out.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I know this is an older thread, but I have that exact same receiver and still use it today. It's no different today than it was new. This receiver is bullet proof.

You're hearing relays and I'd say it's a protection relay. Likely because of the speakers. Whether it's an external wiring 'shunt' or short, it could periodically trigger it. Check wiring to receiver, check wiring on speakers, then maybe even check wiring inside of speakers. Maybe a bad speaker coil causing it.

If wiring is ok, try another set of speakers and see if that helps. Otherwise it could be a rare issue with this younger 12 year receiver released in 2011. My 2003 release year Denon AVR-3803 is still going strong as well. My previous Pioneer receiver only gave up after ~27 years of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks