What's new

Denon 2900.....I sure love it (1 Viewer)

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Attention all DVD-2900 owners!

I ran into a setup issue on another site that leads me to ask this question:

Does anybody know how to use the internal pink noise generators to correctly set the analog output levels?

I know what seems logical to me (exactly the same way one would do it with a processor or receiver), but this hasn't worked properly for me. Two examples:

1) For SACD, setting output levels equal with a meter doesn't provide the correct bass channel level (two low with a real signal). (Yes, I know about the FILTER OFF setting -- but that doesn't resolve the noise generator question.)

2) For DTS, setting output levels equal with a meter provides low settings for surround as well as bass channels compared to decoding the digital signal in my processor.

IS there a correct way to use those noise generators?

Thanks -- Trevor :frowning:

Trevor,

I'm going to suggest that you get a setup disc and set your levels according to it. For example, I have the Chesky Ultimate Surround Sampler and Setup disc. If I remember correctly, to use the test tones in the 2900, you need to realize that the subwoofer level is about 10 dB lower than the other channels. Drop all the speaker levels to about -8 dB and see how close you are.

The advantage of using a setup disc is because the 2900, your pre/pro, amps and speakers are being used in a "real world" scenario as opposed to a "simulation". With the Chesky disc, you can see if there is difference between the unit playing DVD-A and Dolby Digital. The 2900 will play a DVD-A disc by default but you can set it as a video only player and force it to play the DD track. Set your levels with the DVD-A first, then try the DD. You can then chose to make adjustments going from DVD-A and SACD to DVD-Video or use the digital output and let your pre/pro do the DD and DTS decoding.

My 2900 is set with the mains, center and surrounds at -4 and -5 dB and the sub is set to 0 dB. I also use the 2900's DACs for DD and DTS playback. Good luck.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Also if you use the Radio Schack meter,don't forgett to calculate the avarage 3db offset.Meaning,it should show 3 db less for the sub,then for the mains when you calibrate.

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,
It has been over 225 hours. What do you think, turn if off now so the thing just don't ware out?
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
William and Lewis,

Thanks for your inputs. Using a source disc rather than the internal reference sounds like a good work-around. I'll have to keep my eye open. (I had settled for doing it by ear using comparison to the processor.)

Come to think of it, I do have Video Essentials, perhaps I can manage something with that.

Hi, Bruce

I shut down repeat mode after the "official" 200hrs. Now I'm just leaving it to normal usage, and at the moment, that probably averages about three hours a day. I'd be using it more, but as I'm still waiting for my stereo output cables to arrive, and the multi-channel inputs on my processor to be repaired (they just received it Thursday), I just can't get into Denon music listening. Fortunately, the digital output is just fine for movies. Maybe in another week or two?

Trevor :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I've finally come up with a criticism of the DVD-2900!
If you play DVD-As as well then you'll find another soon.No, it isn't the sound quality, it's the way it loads them.My old Panasonic played the MC tracks [my prefference]automatically if I hit play instead of "close" when the drawer was open and disc in place.The denon will always brings up the menu first,so you have to turn on your tv.I know that half the problem is the format or the way it was authored,but it seems that the 2900 makes this even worse.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Lewis

I saw one person mention that simply pressing "enter" was usually enough to fire off the track with DVD_A. I saw another person mention they bought a tiny TV display that simply sat above (or near) the player that would only be turned on when navigating music disc menus. I got the impression it was pretty cheap, though I don't know what's actually available out there.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I saw one person mention that simply pressing "enter" was usually enough to fire off the track with DVD_A
It depends on the disc.Trust me I've tried all the "tricks" with not much success,and if you preffer the stereo track,you even "more for the ride" then.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
I see,

Well, I know I'm currently more impressed with SACD than DVD_A. Though that is in part because the Denon has the front panel control to step through SACD tracks (rather than having to use the video menu). That was actually a purchase criterion for me. (The other reason is that SACD seems to have more interesting titles.)

I'm thinking buying a 5" or so LCD TV/monitor to sit on the player is not a bad idea. I was looking at a couple last night for under $200 discounted. I have a harder time finding DVD_A titles, but I've rounded up two or three. I definitely don't like having to turn on the TV to select music tracks, but I understand that is typical for players.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Trevor,

I'm thinking buying a 5" or so LCD TV/monitor to sit on the player is not a bad idea. I was looking at a couple last night for under $200 discounted.
I would appreciate more details on what brands / models you were looking at. This topic does not get much press on this forum.

Thanks.

Doug

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Doug

Well, the specific models I looked at were:

LCDDigital LCD-36 5.6"
LCDDigital LCD-501N 5"

TVone TV-205 5"

These are all portable LCD units that weight slightly over 2 pounds and run on batteries or adapters. There are other brands like Audiovox that may have models as well, trouble is, it doesn't seem easy to find review information. Still, I guess when one is paying under $200, one shouldn't expect too much, and they are probably way better than the minimum needed for the task.

From what I saw, if you are looking for major brands (Sony, Sharp, etc) you can expect many more dollars and less convenient sizes.

Mac

Agent
This may have already been asked, but should I use the 2900 for audio DVD playback(DD or DTS) or should I use my Denon AVR 3802. If I use the 2900, would I get DTS ES and DD EX? Was wondering which provided the best playback? I sure do love my 2900 -- it rplaced my Pioneer 47a, which was great, but I was not impressed with the SACD playback--it is amazing how much better the 2900 is than the Pioneer at SACD. I watched the Hulk a couple nights ago and I could not believe my eyes--it was so much better than the Pioneer--and that player was pretty highly regarded for video performance. I also watched Lord of the Rings again to get ready for the Two Towers and it was like a revelation--that much better then the Pioneer!! THanks for all the great info on the 2900--you guys made by make the upgrade.

Mac

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Mac

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new player. I don't know anything about the AVR-3802, but I can say the six channel output from the player when decoding DD and DTS is limited to 5.1 channels -- that is, there is no decoded rear center. Of course, if a rear center is matrixed into the rear surrounds, the information won't have been discarded, it just won't be decoded. (You would need an additional external processor to decode the center from the rears.)

Outside of the rear center, I would suggest listening to a given selection with each (player and processor) and deciding which you feel sounds the best. However, any time you require a rear center, you would be limited to your processor.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
I'm thinking buying a 5" or so LCD TV/monitor to sit on the player is not a bad idea. I was looking at a couple last night for under $200 discounted. I have a harder time finding DVD_A titles, but I've rounded up two or three. I definitely don't like having to turn on the TV to select music tracks, but I understand that is typical for players.
Well, if all you're using it for is to see DVD-A menus, $200 is rather a lot for a 5" TV. You can get a 5" B&W TV with a footprint of less than one cubic foot, for $30 at Best Buy or Circuit City.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Steve

Sounds very practical and no doubt appropriate for the specific task (as long as the CRT weight doesn't bother the player cover). I guess I don't mind paying more like $150 for something really light that I consider more flexible, but that's just me.

Thanks for the suggestion -- Trevor :)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mac,
For sure use your denon 2900 for dvd a, sacd(it would be the only way) and reg cd. To do this properly you have to use the analog outputs on your player. Like trevor said, it is unlikely your a/v will have 6.1 in analog. I personally use my digital out for all movies. My a/v does an excellent job in 6.1, if I were to use the denon 2900 I would only get 5.1. When you use your a/v's analog input, you will by pass all digital output, which means you can set the test tones for movies on your a.v, and set the tones for sacd and dvd a from your dvd player resulting in two different settings.(using denons internal tones analog out) Have fun and play around with your system to you have it set that sounds best to you!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I would definitelly use the AVR-3802 for all digital movie soundtracks[DD/DTS],and yes that's the only way you gonna get EX/ES decoding too.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Sounds very practical and no doubt appropriate for the specific task (as long as the CRT weight doesn't bother the player cover). I guess I don't mind paying more like $150 for something really light that I consider more flexible, but that's just me.
Such small CRT TVs weight less than 6 lbs -- no strain on any component I've put mine on top of -- and are quite easily portable.

This one is very similar to the one I bought:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....6&type=product

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Trevor,
I also prefer the LCD solution, although I envision it resting on a table next to my seat (and I don't have the table yet). To me, there's a definite aesthetic advantage to LCD that's worth the $ premium, especially when one has a nicely decorated dedicated room (and one spends more on an upgraded power cord or interconnect :rolleyes:). In addition to universal player menu navigation, I would also use it to preview TV channels before firing up (or not firing up) the proj; otherwise, I think I could get by with a couple of remote macros to change groups and SACD 2ch/mch.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks