What's new

Denon 2900.....I sure love it (1 Viewer)

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Ha!

I've finally come up with a criticism of the DVD-2900! It doesn't have a digital input. If it did, then I could use it to playback the LPCM tracks on laser discs. Denon's marketing department should definitely have thought of that one!

Trevor :)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Calling all denon 2900 owners! Please post all your positive and negative aspects of your player. Anyone having any problems or setup issues? Anymore modd 2900's out there?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
No problems with mine. I recently did the firmware fix for pixel cropping and lock up, and it went off without a hitch. In the 2 weeks since I have done the firmware fix, no lock ups at all. ( I only had 1 lock up in 6 months of use before the upgrade)

All DVD-Rs I own have played perfectly.

The picture is the best I have seen on my set. I used to own a DVD-1600. The 1600 was stellar, but the 2900 edges it out slightly. The CUE is only noticeably on a handful of discs I own, most noticably on Roger Waters in the Flesh. Its hardly noticable on any animation discs I have.

In conclusion, its the best DVD I have ever owned. Im considering getting the 5900, though... ;)

Luis S

Supporting Actor

Finally! Maybe now this thread could get back to those of us who love this machine! Ive had mine for about 5 months or so. Ive never had a problem except with some slight lock up issue with Gone in Sixty Seconds (Nic Cage) Other than that this thing has been a dream come true :D

I applied the firmware fix also and though Im kinda unsure of what it did exactly the process was quick and easy. SACD and DVDA sound beautiful and movies look absolutely fantastic! This player is a real value amongst all the other players out there. Id recomend it to anyone looking to upgrade! :emoji_thumbsup:

Later,

Luis S

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Finally! Maybe now this thread could get back to those of us who love this machine!
Ya its about time.....
I have had no problems so far with my unit, but its still been under 200 hours of playing. I guess it would be a good idea to see if I can get a firm ware disc at least to have on hand. Will have to give Walter a call. Have you looked into this trevor?

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Bruce

Well, I saw people talking about a firmware fix and I tried sending an email to "Denon", including my player serial number (got the address from their website). I received a response from a seemingly legit fellow in New Jersey who requested my address for sending a CD. That was something like a couple weeks ago and I haven't received anything yet. I guess at some point I should check with him again, but I know these things can take time and I don't want to be a pest.

I used this email address: [email protected]

P.S. I don't know what the fix actually accomplishes, it just seems like a good idea to be up-to-date.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Bruce

I had to ship my processor off to be worked on again, and so I thought I would ward off the depression with 'Jurassic Park' one more time. I'm just relaxing in the semi-dark thinking this is certainly the best picture I've ever seen on any movie screen. Fall through depth, excellent detail, perfectly saturated colors -- that darned player is doing a truly wonderful job.

It really would be interesting to compare the video on your player to that of a 5900 and see how they come out. Judging from what I'm seeing here, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your unit came darn close, or maybe even ahead.

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,

I have a 2900 and was very pleased with the picture. I did the upgrade to the 5900, and was truly amazed by the difference. Mind you I have a 96" screen with a Runco projector--the differences are definitely not as apparent on my 36" Sony XBR800 direct view. I run the interlaced output to the Runco processor which scales it to 720P--this provides a noticeably better image on the big screen than the progressive 480P output which is passed through with no upconversion. The colors are so beautifully rendered, and the picture is just so involving I haven't been able to pull myself away from it to even compare the audio side yet.

I wish my Runco processor had a DVI input so I could check out the Denon's DVI output.

At any rate, the 2900 has nothing to apologize for, and if your modded 2900 is giving you a picture close to the 5900, well, that's pretty sweet!

Scott

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Seriously cool, Scott

I was just going to add a comment to my post saying that my window pane description was wrong, more like I'm the camera.

From what you are saying, it sounds like both players are doing a truly great job. Kind of makes you wonder how much better it can get for higher prices, doesn't it?

I don't know what kind of projector you have. I've always associated Runco with CRT, but I see they're doing DLP these days as well. If you are running CRT, then that must be especially nice.

P.S. I also use the interlaced output, taken from S-Video. It passes through a splitter with one feed to my same model Sony (nice set!), and the other feed through an S-Video amplifier for the run to the back of the room. I've an ESI VLS-2000 scalar set for max resolution and 720p for my Sharp XV-DW100U LCD projector (RGB connection). It's a 78" 16:9 screen, but any larger would be a little overwhelming at my viewing distance (about 12 1/2 ft, it's against the wall above the TV and they collide a little as it is). The projected picture detail leaves the Sony in the dust, but with the new player -- the picture is just insane.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I had a bad lock up on the Italian Job[2003],I guess I have to get that firmwarefix CD.
The BM has it's own quirks,but that had been reported here before.Other then that so far so good. knock knock

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Scott

Nice! It appears DLP has pretty much taken over these days, and Runco probably continues to be one of the highest quality projector manufacturers around. It seems like my unit was sort-of-a last hurrah for LCD, but Sharp did a super good job with it. Marvelous color, resolution, and everything else as far as I can tell. I've no criticisms except that I would have liked them to have kept the mechanical keystone adjustment from the prior model. The electronic version simply has too many side-effects to be useful. I had its predecessor located about halfway up the screen with perfect geometry, but this one must be positioned either just below or just above. For me, that means just below which moves the fan much closer -- still I only notice it when there is no movie to draw my attention.

Most of the time, I use the TV (use of the projector depends on material and mood). It does a great job with widescreen and also VHS and LD source material (it gets all my 4:3 viewing). The processing they built into it for upscaling and enhancing video quality is almost miraculous in my opinion. I run both VHS and LD through a good external comb filter and then let the TV work its magic on the resulting S-Video -- Sony did a good job.

When I got the DVD-2900 player, I was thinking in terms of the audio, not video. I already had a picture I was pleased with, and would have been comfortable staying with. Getting the audio I wanted triggered the mods, but while I expected a video benefit, this is way more than I could possibly have anticipated. Yes, I'm pleased!

Now, if I could only get my darned processor into proper working order (perhaps only another couple weeks out -- I hope). Then I would finally be able to listen to the player 6-channel output. Turns out, I probably won't even have my new stereo output cables to play with for another week -- aaaargh! Well, at least I have the player now.

Cheers -- Trevor :)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think 175 hours of repeat play on your dvd player will improve your sound?
Up to yesterday I was not to impressed with 2 channel music from a regular cd. The sound lacked bass and imaging and depth.....until the 175 hour of play. All of sudden I was hearing detail I never heard before, the depth was back with perfect imaging. I brought my wife into the picture and asked her, is it my imagination? or did this thing suddenly open up. To make a long story short, we spent 4 hours playing all our old music, and what experience! now my wife understands why this thing cost so much......this just made it all worth while.:D

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Nice, Bruce!

I missed all that excitement by waiting it out. I have a Taj Mahal CD which I always enjoyed and put that on Saturday. It was REALLY nice, arguably the best I've heard the recording. I'm under the impression that although 200 hours gets you most of the way there, there is still more to go. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple weeks, or even more, is needed. I just wish my missing pieces were here so I could do some more comparing (and enjoying). As it is, I'm pretty much stalled.

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,
No doubt on the min 200 hours. Walter did tell me to do this for 8 to 10 days. I read recently in HT mag that for some reason these sacd and dva machines(multi) do require extensive use for the sound to come together. I don't really understand why. I do understand speakers and a/v's, but a laser pickup device don't make any sense to me. The ht mag did not give a reason, just admitted that a break-in was required for the unit to come together.

I'm loving my 2900. I bought it as an audio player and the crystal clear video is a nice bonus. Having no noticeable layer change on any disc I've watched is great.

After working through the bass management with various setup discs, I'm quite please with the SACD and DVD-A performance although I prefer my Sony CA70ES CD player for redbook CDs. I find that the Sony produces more detail in the upper mids and treble.

Trevor, thanks for your review of Walter's mod.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Bruce

Yes, break-in has always been an issue with higher resolution equipment, since small changes are more audible with them. Most mass market equipment has relatively negligable break-in simply because it's less audible. As I understand it, it's due to the gradual polarizing and reforming of the dielectrics when placed under the stress of real operating voltages (both fixed and signal), and most electronic parts contain dielectric materials (including cables). This polarization process effects the shape and uniformity of the electro-magnetic fields as well as semiconductor lattice conductivity (with impurity ion migration), and consequently effects the charge propogation (ie current flow).

Speakers are much easier to understand because they are more mechanical and it makes intuitive sense the driver suspensions need to loosen up before they can sound right. However, even speakers have a polarization process (particularly the crossover network) and depending on the type of speaker, break-in can take a fair amount of time (electrostatic for example).

P.S. However, as you know, I am given to delusions. :D

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, William

You're entirely welcome. If I can provide any more information about the mods and/or sound, please ask and I'll do the best I can. Unfortunately, my current system status interferes with my listening goals with the player, but I hope that will turn around in a couple weeks (fingers and toes crossed).

Glad to hear you're enjoying your 2900. :emoji_thumbsup:

P.S. I've only done a little movie watching since installing the 2900, but I'm entirely oblivious to the layer change. Guess you're right -- it's seamless! Neat!

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,
My firmware disc is on the way, Walter spoke to the denon rep. Nice to deal with someone who takes care of you.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks