What's new

Denon 2900.....I sure love it (1 Viewer)

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Steve

I took a look at your link and for $30, I would think it's the perfect solution for a lot of people. (Perhaps we'll get Best Buy some business! :) )

I've decided to go the LCD approach because (much like Doug) the price is a small increment compared to the rest of the system, plus I've never played with LCD video and I'm curious (my PC monitors are all CRT), plus I would like color for previewing (or as a carry-with TV), plus I still recall how little cover flex was required to interfere with the mechanism on my previous DVD player -- definitely not as sturdy as the Denon.

Still, those are my excuses for not being sensible. :)

Trevor

P.S. I placed an order last night, so it'll be interesting to see what actually arrives and whether I need to put-together a tripod or whatever for it.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Trevor,
P.S. I placed an order last night, so it'll be interesting to see what actually arrives and whether I need to put-together a tripod or whatever for it.
Which one you getting? One of the sites where I saw the listing of the LCDDigital LCD-36 states that it comes with some sort of stand. However, the photo did not show it, and another site made no mention of it.

Doug

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya, Doug

I ordered an LCD-36 (every .6" counts, right?). The description of factory accessories does include a stand, though I'm never sure what to expect until it arrives. Should be mid next week.

In case anyone's interested, here's the description:

LCDDigital 5.6-inch TFT LCD Color TV/Monitor

Specifications:
Reception frequencies: 55.25MHz-83.25MHz
Display element: color TFT-LCD
Screen size: 5.6 inches
Pixels: 960 (H) x 234 (V)
Audio output: 150mW (max)
Speaker: 3.2 cm round type
Back light: high luminance fluorescent light tube
Connections: external antenna, external power(DC 12V), audio/video input socket
Power supply: 3-way power supply system
Batteries: rechargeable batteries pack
AC: AC adapter
Car battery: car adapter
Power consumption: approximately 6 watts
Model No: LCD36
Dimensions: 7 in. x 5 in. x 1 in.

Accessories include:
Batteries pack, Antenna adapter, AC adapter, Earphones, Stand, Car adapter, AV adapter

Trevor :)

Iain.R

Auditioning
Hello all
This is my first post on this site which I came across whilst surfing. It's good to see a forum like this as there appears to be loads of useful tips and information available. I bought my DVD2900 about 2 weeks ago and I have been blown away by the quality of this machine. I used to own a Pioneer 636 which I thought was pretty good but the Denon leaves it in the shade I have bought a few sacd's and one DVD-A which is Fleetwood Mac's say you will. I am going to see them live in Birmingham next week and really looking forward to it now. I think I prefer the sound of sacd at this stage but until I buy some more dvd-a's I will not pass judgement. The picture quality is truly amazing with this player and I have spent hours watching some of my favorite movies. Anyway, I won't ramble on but will let you know abut an sacd I played last night which was amazing. It is Bruce Springsteen live in New York and all I can say is if you like his music then get the sacd as it is like being at the concert.
Bye for now

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
This 2900 and 5900 DVD players are getting more popular everyday. I wonder if there's any point to compare the video quality to Panasonic RP82?

I used to have this RP82 and I love the video quality, but now I run out of component connections so I put the RP82 in another room. I understand the price difference between the Panny and Denon is huge but I wonder how much better difference am I going to see?

I have 34XBR800 Sony HDTV and I'm looking for a nice DVD player that plays SACD and DVD-A well. Of course, the regular CD is important too. These Denons have burr brown DACs, right?

Thanks,

Simon

Iain.R

Auditioning
HI

Yes the 2900 apparently has twin Denon specified Burr Brown DAC's.Your best bet is to audition it. Any good HiFi/AV dealer should do that for you.
I have been very impressed with the perfomance of mine so far.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Each channel has it's own DAC and they are Burr-Brown's latest and greatest (custom specified by Denon). The same DAC's are used in the 5900. If you are in the US, and want especially good two channel sound, check into the DVD-2900 with mods available here (also lists the 2900 feature set):

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/mod_denon.html

I use the video with a 36XBR800 and the picture quality is excellent.

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,

You replied to my post at AVS last night "htsource". Can't use that name here when I registered :frowning:

Anyway, I looked at the site for the mod and I wonder what the final price would be to get it shipped to Canada. I'm not looking forward for the duty and shipping/handling charges that they charge.

But a lot of positive posts on these 2 Denons, I think I can't go wrong.

Oh, does the 2900 have DVI input?

Thanks,

Simon

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Simon

I didn't realize you were the same person. I responded to your questions at some length on the other forum and would direct you there, but I see they are down right now.

I'm guessing you mean DVI output or connection, not an actual input (video comes FROM the player, not TO it). If you need to use DVI with your TV, then you will have to go with the 5900. If either component or S-Video is OK, then the 2900 works very well. I use S-Video myself and the picture is superb.

P.S. Regarding the price in Canada. Contact Walter at Underwood Hifi (phone or email) and explain you are in Canada. Since the actual modding is performed in Canada, he may be able to help with your situation.

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Trevor,

Yes, I'm referring to DVI output. I'm out of component connection now and I can give up the DVI for gaming if I end up with the 5900.

There's a local store that has both players, I'll check them out in the next few days. I just picked up a Pioneer 80GB HD-DVD recorder from them.

Thanks again for your information,

Simon

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
If you live in canada, Walter at Underwood Hifi can ship a modd unit to you in two days, you dont pay gst or pst, and shipping is around $30.00, very good deal....but you are charge in usa funds.

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,...
As Simon mentioned, I too have an RP82 that I love to death for movies. I have been stressing for over a year now hearing all the good info about Denon's audio, and have wanted to step up to a better player, but haven't been willing to loose PQ in the process. I demo'd one well recomended player last fall. It went back the next day. Acording to almost all the postings and recomendations I have read to date, without taking an equity loan on the house, the 2900 sure looks to have the best of both worlds. Has anybody done a side by side, or owned both in order to comment about the video sections of these two players?
Thank you GRCRY,...>>>--->

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Kevin,

I have both an RP82 and a Denon 2900 sending 480p to my 65" Toshiba RPTV. The RP82 was my main DVD player for about 4 months, then I got the Denon 2900, mainly for its universal capabilities.

I recently had an opportunity to do a short A/B with The Matrix Reloaded since I had two copies in my house. I tried to sync each player and got pretty close. My impression is that both players offer a great picture and I could easily live with either, although for reasons that I can't really articulate and which aren't particularly scientific I've always preferred the Denon. I think that one reason may be purely mental. The Denon player is just so much better constructed and feels so solid that I am just drawn to it. Over time I've also gotten used to the remote and think it fits my hand much better than the Pannie's. Then there is the DVD-A/SACD capability, which I think sounds better in comparison to my Pioneer DV-45A. I have never hooked up the Pannie for DVD-A.

The only differences I could really see were in the shadows, with the Denon producing deeper blacks but maintaining all of the details. In comparison, the picture appeared slightly brighter on the Panny. With the Denon, Link's face had more texture, even in the shadows. With the Pannie, his face was a bit smoother, and the shadows weren't as deep. These differences, however, are likely the type thing that could change depending on calibration or tweaking of some DVD player settings, and were only noticeable when going back and forth between the two. In other words, had I only watched the RP82, I would have never thought, man, I'm missing texture on Link's face. I have not had my TV ISF calibrated, but I did the best I could with VE and Avia, but as played through the Denon. I'm not sure whether recalibrating through the RP82 would change things much, but it might. Otherwise, I didn't see much different. Or at least, both players seemed to be doing things right. I didn't notice any jaggies, no combing. Both pictures were sharp. Details were there. For instance, the texture and patterns on Agent Smith's coat and tie in the courtyard fight. Neither DVD player was doing anything that jumped out as wrong. To the extent that the colors and balance were different, those were differences that I think were due more to calibration.

In other words, the pictures were comparable. To the extent that I have a favorite, I generally prefer the Denon, but not because it is better in any way I can quantify. I just prefer the picture. I certainly don't feel as though I've lost any picture quality by moving to the Denon. I'm not sure, though, that picture quality alone would justify moving to the Denon. It does have higher spec'ed parts, but I'd still call it more of a lateral move in temrs of video quality, rather than a drastic step up. Throw in the better build quality and its universal player capabilities, and I think it pulls ahead. Get a 2900 and keep the RP82 and you have the best of both worlds for 480p, and you have a player for those DVDs that cause problems for the 2900 because of the alt-flag issue.

Hope that helps.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Doug

My baby LCD TV/monitor has arrived. It's kind of nifty, though I don't think I would want to go smaller than 5.6" diagonal, small print starts getting hard to read (no doubt a 5" CRT type would be fine). It comes with two stands. One is built into the TV with a hinge at the top and swings out like an easel. The other consists of one bracket that engages the back of the TV, and another with a two-way swivel that thumb-screws into the first and rests against a flat surface (includes dual-sided adhesive pad if needed). I'm using the swivel stand placed on top of the player.

You never need to touch the TV. The remote control does everything, including the instant power on/off (which is all you need after set up). The picture is darned good with fine color quality and remote adjustable brightness, color, contrast, and hue. The TV includes a battery pack that attaches to the back and requires 8 rechargable AA cells for 12V (not supplied). I watched some movie material and was very impressed with it. I also tried a couple of DVD_A's and it did the job perfectly (also player setup adjustments).

So, yes, it's a little fancier than the task really requires, but it does do a nice job.

Cheers -- Trevor :)

P.S. There are adapters for mono audio in, composite video in, and TV-RF in. There's also a pair of ear phones, a car cigar lighter 12V adapter, and a good sized wall wart.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Thanks for the feedback, Trevor. As I said before, If I do get a side table next to my seat, I would place such a monitor on that. I envision running a (long) composite cable and the power cord (with extension) under my sofa to the table. I assume the size would be plenty for menu viewing from 1-2 feet away. BTW, how far away are you from the monitor? Also, I assume all the accessories you mention come standard with the unit.

Thanks.

Doug

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Doug

Everything I mentioned was included in the base package (plus a manual that although incomplete, should be sufficient). I would say my viewing distance is about 1-1/2 to 2 ft. You have to use a little imagination with the accessories, but the quality appears very good. (Only the battery pack seems a little chinzy, but still adequate.)

You'll have to get that table so you'll have an excuse for a nifty new toy. I wouldn't mind hooking up the internal speaker, but I don't have an appropriate output to use. I may run an extension to the TV-RF input just for grins.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Yo, Bruce

I finally received my CD firmware updates. I retried a couple days ago by telephone and finally got in touch with somebody that sent me the two CD's. Turns out it only applies to Serial Number 3048404741 and lower -- the first production run (which included mine). Later runs had the updates factory installed, so your 2900 probably doesn't need it.

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Turns out it only applies to Serial Number 3048404741 and lower -- the first production run. Later runs had the updates factory installed, so your 2900 probably doesn't need it.
Trevor,
Walter had denon send me the disc, but the denon rep said I should not need it. I guess I will have it on hand. My unit was purchased directly new from walter. I have had no problems at all so far, all around cool machine to own! Impressive with my friends!

JosephLe

Auditioning
Hi,Trevo and Bruce
I bough my Denon 2900 three months ago from the local Good guys store.Sure I love Denon 2900's performance compare to my old JVC XV-D723 in both world video and audio.DVD-A's just wornderful, much more detail and dynamics,solid bass I never heard from my SVS 26-46 before..
My only complain now 's my Denon 2900 locks up on couple SACD like "Dark side of the moon" "Trail of Dream"...Guess my player has the firmware problem as you guy mention in this thread (my player's serial No lower than 3048404741). I call Denon customer service but the Rep who answer me had no idea what I'm talking about,I had same answer when I got back to the sale guy form Good Guys. I'm a newbie to the HTFR,greatly appreciate with any help from you to resolve this problem.
Joseph

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Question for owners:
Has anyone tried playing DVD+R on it? Sound & Vision, in their review stated it played DVD-R.
I am very close to buying it based on its ability to play DVD+R(all of our home movies are on DVD+R).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks