What's new

I am looking for a Good, Beginner smaller form-factor cassette deck. (1 Viewer)

iKokomo

Grip
Real Name
Carl Oak
I just got a bunch of free cassettes and I would love to be able to play them.

I have a vintage/basic Realistic STA-76 I got from a thrift store and I would like to be able to plug a cassette deck into it. The issue is, we live in a small"ish" place and space is key (as well as money, haha).

I have done some searching on eBay and/or Reverb for some units and found some small/compact ones by Sony and Teac (the late 90s) (Sony TC-TX373, TEAC R-H500). The issue is that all of them are from either England (230 Volts) or Japan (100 Volts).

Are there any of these more compact, yet reputable brands that will work in the US (120V) without a need for a step-down or step-up transformer?

I am open to any other suggestions for tape decks as well.

Thank you very much!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You probably have your work cut out for you there, Carl. Those mini cassette decks were never big sellers. Complicating things, they were often integrated into a lager compact stereo system – i.e. not a stand-alone unit.

Searching ebay for “mini cassette deck” gets a few hits from Denon, some of which are fairly inexpensive.

If you’re really set on a small player, a Walkman-type unit might also be an option.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks