What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Deadwood 2nd Season (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx for the info gordon. that's...uhh...quite an interesting website you linked to. :laugh:

man, i didn't even know... :D :eek:

CharlesD

Screenwriter

As Al said in the first episode of Season Two "Welcome to Fucking Deadwood". :)

Watch the DVDs of Season one, and you'll get up to speed with who's who and why they do what. Plus you'll see Jane's buddy Wild Bill Hickock & his card playing companion "the coward Jack McCall" who is played by the same actor who plays "Mr. W".

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator

You've stumbled upon what I think is the greatest part of this show: the dialogue. It's simply brilliant. They speak in tongues--poetic, eloquent, obscenity laced tongues as if Shakespeare had been born in 1845 and combined his language with the crude speak of the time. The entire series has been like this (although, I will say that Season 2 has gone a bit further with it than Season 1 did). I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you watch the first season. It is incredible television.

If you think Al's blowjob soliloquy in ep2 of Season 2 (not to mention his clean-cut poetic denouement at the end) were grand, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you watch episode 11 in the first season, which has Al chugging whiskey from a bottle the entire hour, and concludes with another amazing blowjob soliiloquy. Ian McShane shows in this very scene WHY he deserved the Golden Globe he received, and any other award he may have gotten. He gives on this show what I think is probably the greatest television performance I've ever seen. It's amazing work.

In fact, part of the reason this dialogue works so well is that the actors delivering it are absolutely impeccable. Not just Ian McShane, but everyone on the cast. My favorites are Robin Weigart (who plays Calamity Jane--absolutely amazing performance), Ray McKinnon (who played Reverend Smith in the first season--words can't describe this man, you must see Season 1 to understand how good he is), the amazing Brad Dourif (who creates an incredible character in Doc Cochran), etc, etc. I could go on for pretty much every member of the cast.

Anyway, Phil, I've sort of gone off on a tangent, but I must insist that you rent/buy/Netflix/whatever the first season DVD set. Brilliant show that should be seen by all!

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Phil- HBO is running the first three episodes of Season 2 on Friday night. Tape/tivo, and rent/buy/Netflix Season 1, and you're all caught up.

Cast 'cheat sheet' I did for a friend on another board who was confused by all the names, similar clothes, and mustaches:

Credits order, Season 1
Seth Bullock (Timothy Olyphant). You know who he is.
Al Swearengen (Ian McShane). Runs the Gem.
Alma Garret (Molly Parker). The woman whose husband... the claim...
(then they run in alphabetical order, starting here...)
Ellsworth (Jim Beaver). The prospector.
Amos 'Doc' Cochran (Brad Dourif). The doctor.
Sol Star (John Hawkes). Seth's partner.
Trixie (Paula Malcolmson). The whore that Al most 'cares' for... and Sol cares for her.
Tom Nuttal (Leon Rippy). Owns the other bar (forgot the name of it... is it 'The Ruby'?).
E.B. Farnum (William Sanderson). The hotel guy, Al's toady. Has a couple brothers named Daryl, of course.
Calamity Jane (Robin Weigert). Bill's friend.
(then they go into a 'second tier' alphabetical for the following - )
Dan Dority (W. Earl Brown). Al's main guy.
Charlie Utter (Dawton Callie). Bill's friend.
'With' (episodes 3-5) or 'And' (6-on)
Cy Tolliver (Powers Boothe). Owner of the Bella Union (joins the cast in the third episode).
'And'
Keith Carradine (Wild Bill Hickock). Leaves the cast in the fifth episode.
--
'Recurring' in Season 1, but promoted up to 'main cast' in Season 2:
Joanie Stubbs (Kim Dickens). Cy Tolliver's #1 whore, and 'girlfriend'(?). Now on her own.
A.W. Merrick (Jeffrey Jones). The reporter.
Johnny Burns (Sean Bridgers). Works for Al. Stupid guy.
Silus Adams (Titus Welliver). Works for Al.
Sophia Metz (Bree Seanna Wall). The little girl whose family got killed, now with Alma.
--
New to Season 2 (but referenced in 1).
Martha Bullock (Anna Gunn). Seth's wife.
William Bullock (Josh Eriksson). Seth's son (or brother's son, if you prefer...).
--
New to Season 2 (but played Jack McCall, Bill's killer, in 1).
Francis Wolcott (Garret Dillahunt). Advance Man for George Hearst, father of W.R Hearst... Joined cast in third episode.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
Tom Nuttal's Bar is called " the No. 10 " (number Ten)

You forgot :

Mr. WU (Keone Young)
Maddie ( Alice Kringe)
Leon (Larry Cedar)
Con Stapleton (Peter Jason)
Jewel ( Geri Jewell )
Miss Isringhausen (Sarah Paulson)

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
The #10. Thank you. That had been bothering me (but I don't go 'aha!', either- I didn't remember that...).

Oh, I know I didn't list everybody... just everybody who appears in the opening credits.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
According to Keone Young (who, along with W. Earl Brown, posts on the HBO Deadwood discussion forums) Deadwood has been officialy picked up for a third season.

No surpise really, but good to know for sure :)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
This is a great list! Thanks for posting it. That really does help. Great to see Ian McShane in action. I loved his "Lovejoy" series for BBC...though I honestly can't think of a character further from that than who is he is playing now. Great casting choice. Wild Bill got the axe again, huh? So are they playing some of this "historical" and some of it purely fantasy? Other than Jane are there other historical figures? Too cool! Gotta get all of these eps, then...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Phil, If I rememeber correctly...Al, Seth and Sol are all real characters from Deadwood.

Stephen-R

Agent

I thought the Doc made that tool. Hmm...what did he use for lube? Anything? Bear grease? Spit? I shudder to think.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
That scene was painfully convincing. I wonder if women felt the same way us men did about seeing that scene.

Am I correct in saying that medically they still don't have any real treatment for kidney stones aside from just letting them "pass through"?

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
I had a kidney stone a couple years ago. I don't recommend it. :)

If the stone is too big to pass, they use a laser to break it up into smaller bits and then you piss gravel for a week or so.

As to how they get the laser in there, it's very similar to the procedure Al had with considerably more anesthesia.

Now that that unpleasantness is out of the way....

Love Deadwood! Currently my favorite show.

LewB

Screenwriter

My father had one years ago. He was in his 70's at the time. He was treated with a technique called lithotripsy.
They give some kind of blocking anesthesia and put you into a big tub of water. The device then shoots sound waves thru the water at the stone. The sound waves bust up the stone and you then pass them. He was out of the hospital the next day. Not bad for a 70 year old whose health wasn't the greatest to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks