What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Single season spy show? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have discovered streaming. ;) So I'm rewatching some old shows, and some I never did see back then.

There was a recent spy show, maybe 10 to 15 years ago. One season I think. A cable TV channel TNT or A&E or USA or something, but not paid like HBO or Showtime. International setting.

Not as much action as most shows, but more of a slow burn, and kind of cerebral. I tried Googling, but I couldn't find it.

There's Rubicon, which I don't think is it, because it had a more mundane name I think. I did dig up Treadstone, which I liked, but it's not that one.

I remember an explosion being a key moment in that only season.

??

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I have discovered streaming. ;) So I'm rewatching some old shows, and some I never did see back then.

There was a recent spy show, maybe 10 to 15 years ago. One season I think. A cable TV channel TNT or A&E or USA or something, but not paid like HBO or Showtime. International setting.

Not as much action as most shows, but more of a slow burn, and kind of cerebral. I tried Googling, but I couldn't find it.

There's Rubicon, which I don't think is it, because it had a more mundane name I think. I did dig up Treadstone, which I liked, but it's not that one.

I remember an explosion being a key moment in that only season.

??
One jumping to my brain with a mundane name is "Traveler" staring Aaron Stanford, but it didn't really have an international setting.

Any other basic info you can think of? Male star? Young? Old?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Traveler looks interesting, it it's not that. In my head, I see Scott Foley as the male star, but it's not him. White guy, wavey hair, 35-45 or so. Crap. It's right there, but it isn't. I really liked the show, because it was a little more sophisticated than what we usually get, and so when it was canceled, I think I purposefully made an effort to forget it, because I was so pissed. Ha, and now I want to remember what it was ... I have a friend who we were watching it at the same time, but she can't remember it either. No, not the Unit. That was a good show too.

What brought this up, was I have a buddy, and he got Sandbaggers, and that is a really cool show. Sophisticated, so it got me thinking about this one again. US though, not British. I've been through a few top 50 or 75 or 11 spy shows lists, and I still haven't found it. Came and went with not much of a ripple. But I remember it. What I might have to do, is to go through all the cable channels it might have been on, and look that way. More of a brute force attempt. AMC maybe, but not the Americans. But while that show was on, I think.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Traveler looks interesting, it it's not that. In my head, I see Scott Foley as the male star, but it's not him. White guy, wavey hair, 35-45 or so. Crap. It's right there, but it isn't. I really liked the show, because it was a little more sophisticated than what we usually get, and so when it was canceled, I think I purposefully made an effort to forget it, because I was so pissed. Ha, and now I want to remember what it was ... I have a friend who we were watching it at the same time, but she can't remember it either. No, not the Unit. That was a good show too.
Human Target? That was a spy show but more action-y than cerebral. Killer soundtrack by Bear McCreary. I was sad when the show got cancelled after two seasons.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
... It was Rubicon. :) Somehow the name didn't register with what I thought it was:

This.

"Creator Jason Horwitch conceived the show based on conspiracy films of the 1970s such as All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor, and The Parallax View inspired by their slow-paced action and complex stories"

Not a lot of action, slow burn, but complex stories. Food for the brain. :) I watched the 1st two episodes last night. Delicious.

You know, I remember being aware of Low Winter Sun too, so now I'll have to put that one, Human Target, and Traveler on my list too! 👍👍👍

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Human Target? That was a spy show but more action-y than cerebral. Killer soundtrack by Bear McCreary. I was sad when the show got cancelled after two seasons.

I really enjoyed Human Target. Unfortunately, only season 1 was released on Blu-ray (AFAIK). The second season was not quite as good as the first, but it was still pretty good. It was another good Fox show that got moved around on the schedule (like Firefly) and was never shown at a set time (probably due to Fox showing football games).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I really enjoyed Human Target. Unfortunately, only season 1 was released on Blu-ray (AFAIK). The second season was not quite as good as the first, but it was still pretty good. It was another good Fox show that got moved around on the schedule (like Firefly) and was never shown at a set time (probably due to Fox showing football games).

It was certainly better than the previous Human Target series from the early 90s. Made by the same production company that made the John Wesley Shipp version of The Flash. Starred Rick Springfield as Christopher Chance. As I said, not as good as the more recent iteration, but I enjoyed it at the time. I'm sure I have it recorded on Betamax tapes somewhere...

A one-season spy show I would kill to have on disc is also from the early 1990s: Under Cover, about a husband-&-wife spy team (Anthony Denison and Linda Purl), their junior protégés (John Slattery and Kasi Lemmons) and another grizzled veteran spy, N.F.N. Flynn (John Rhys-Davies; the N.F.N. stands for "No First Name"). It was made by some of the same folks behind China Beach.

Its 2-hour pilot aired on 1991 01 07, with the first episode (Part 1 of a 2-parter) airing five days later. Then reality had the last laugh. As Wikipedia puts it: "Although well received by critics and launched with a high-rated made-for-TV movie, Under Cover was adversely affected by the outbreak of the 1991 Persian Gulf War. A two-part episode had been produced involving the Del'Amicos infiltrating Iraq in the wake of its invasion of Kuwait, and culminated with an American military strike on the country. The night the second episode was scheduled to air, real-life hostilities erupted."

Needless to say, Part 2 was cancelled. Four more episodes -- none having anything to do with the Middle East -- aired over the next few weeks, but eventually the show was cancelled with six unaired episodes. Later in the summer, two "movies" aired, the first being the 2-parter that was interrupted (now under the title "Before the Storm" :huh: ), and the second being the first two of the six unaired episodes. Again, I'm sure I have the eps that aired recorded on Betamax tapes somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks