What's new

Crystal Ball time once again! (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
CBS.

Okay, Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction are two that always get a lot of play.

My Three Sons is technically being continued by CBS, so is likely a no-go.

The Love Boat is fairly well stalled.

Oh, holy crap... Happy Days? That would be cool.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
CBS.

Okay, Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction are two that always get a lot of play.

My Three Sons is technically being continued by CBS, so is likely a no-go.

The Love Boat is fairly well stalled.

Oh, holy crap... Happy Days? That would be cool.
Happy Days is ABC.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I see a long-stalled series. Much requested here. Finally licensed out by the rights holder.

Adding CBS to those clues, I must confess I'm lost if it's a series that has been stalled. I'm sure it's something obvious, but it's not ringing a bell for me. I'm pretty sure it's not BH or PJ. Those don't meet all the criteria as best I can tell. Happy Days and Love Boat don't work either, unless I'm really missing something.

I'd love for it to be Trackdown or some older series, but most of the ones that would excite me have never even gotten off the starting block so they wouldn't count as being "stalled" out.

Gary "what was initially released and then stalled out because of 'rights'? " O.

P.S. Love American Style has been long stalled out but I'm not sure it was over rights, and I'm certainly not sure it's been "much requested". LOL

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Obviously not "One Step Beyond" which while stalled has too many PD episodes unless a deal were struck with someone to utilize the 35mm masters which isn't likely.

I would have to assume BH or PJ. Happy for those if that's what it is.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Obviously not "One Step Beyond" which while stalled has too many PD episodes unless a deal were struck with someone to utilize the 35mm masters which isn't likely.

I would have to assume BH or PJ. Happy for those if that's what it is.

I would love for it to be one of those, but I'm not optimistic.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Beverly Hillbillies makes sense because this is the 50th anniversary of Sharon Tate's death.

Happy Days turns 45 this year, so I wonder if they wouldn't rather wait on finishing that for its half-century anniversary or at least have it done by then.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi All,

I'm hoping against all odds that its my long awaited Holy Grail, Ben Casey.
Even though it was an ABC show its now owned by CBS and LONG OVERDUE.
Gary16 hinted at a MOD release of this show earlier today and Neil said he was going to make some calls, so.....

John

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hi All,

I'm hoping against all odds that its my long awaited Holy Grail, Ben Casey.
Even though it was an ABC show its now owned by CBS and LONG OVERDUE.
Gary16 hinted at a MOD release of this show earlier today and Neil said he was going to make some calls, so.....

John

I confirmed this via my crystal ball a couple of weeks back.

Gary “that one’s coming next month” O.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
The only things I can think of are One Step Beyond (the Official Season 1 studio release was a decade ago, and I don't think existing public domain collections necessarily count, in a case like this); The Love Boat (Season 2 DVD release was also a decade ago); Love American Style (the split 1st season was released 11 years ago); Happy Days (Season 6 was released almost 5 years ago); Petticoat Junction (the Season 3 release was 5 years ago)... or, maybe The Defenders (Shout's licensed Season 1 release was over 3 years ago).

I'm hoping for Seasons 2 & 3 (or Complete Series) of One Step Beyond (Official Release)... I'd think it would be the least problematic of the series I've listed, as far as rights issues go. Also, if CBS went ahead and remastered the remaining episodes they control in the intervening years (for potential HD broadcast and streaming), they would make for a cheaper, easier release.

Season 1 apparently sold poorly, but that was during a glut of newly-released classic TV on the market. Twilight Zone-style vintage sci-fi/horror/suspense anthologies usually do well, and it's the last famous one that isn't readily available complete in good form (apart from the remainder of Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hitchcock Hour, and those can be had as imports). It'll probably be something else, though.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I see a long-stalled series. Much requested here. Finally licensed out by the rights holder.

Neil:

Certainly stalled (although not sure if 3+ years qualifies as "long"), definitely much requested here, and season 1 was originally licensed out by CBS to Shout Factory, so here is my educated guess: The Defenders. Please say yes, please say yes! :D

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
If it's a show that CBS controls for home video now, but originally a paramount production, like Gary, I would suppose Love, American Style...a show I personally would be far less enthusiastic for, but the last time I saw it I was in high school and thought it very ordinary, if not silly. And even then, I only watched it at gunpoint, that is, with a girlfriend at her "urging". Maybe Love, American Style would be something that Time Life/Star Vista might want to license?

If the licensee is Shout! Factory, like Peter and Jack P, I would desperately love to see One Step Beyond remastered by CBS from 35mm film vault and licensed to Shout. And for CBS to do the transfers themselves for Shout and let them release the rest of The Defenders. Both One Step Beyond and The Defenders are in my CBS desperate to want camp...

Thanks to Gary for rekindling our hope about classic B+W TV on DVD...I'm ecstatic about Ben Casey coming from CBS MOD and the continuation of My Three Sons!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks