Crystal Ball time once again!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
True, but Season 4 came out just under a year ago (Oct. 2, 2018). So I wouldn't call that one long-stalled, though it would be nice to see a Season 5 release before the end of the year.
Oops, my bad... I was using DVD/Film Aficionado as a quick reference guide, forgetting that they've fallen behind lately on listing some classic TV releases (and I don't collect Love Boat personally, so that's a blind spot).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Please let it be either "Petticoat Junction" or "The Beverly Hillbillies"!
My bad back would go dancing in the streets if it was the rest, or even S6, of The Beverly Hillbillies complete and uncut. It just had an anniversary yesterday-57 years.

Joe Lugoff

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joe
I see a long-stalled series. Much requested here. Finally licensed out by the rights holder.
"Stalled" implies something that has had releases and then stopped, as opposed to something that's never been released at all.

But "finally licensed out by the rights holder" implies something that's never been released.

Are you sure "stalled" is the correct word?

I hate these guessing games, because I get my hopes up for certain things, and then it turns out to be something I couldn't care less about. I don't know why you just can't tell us what it is, but there's a lot I don't know; I'll just add this to the very long list.

Reactions: MartinP.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
The short lived Fast Times at Ridgemont High spinoff tv show ?

(IIRC, it was on during spring 1986 on CBS).

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
"Stalled" implies something that has had releases and then stopped, as opposed to something that's never been released at all.

But "finally licensed out by the rights holder" implies something that's never been released.

I hate these guessing games, because I get my hopes up for certain things, and then it turns out to be something I couldn't care less about. I don't know why you just can't tell us what it is, but there's a lot I don't know; I'll just add this to the very long list.
With "finally licensed out", I believe that takes into account CBS's unwillingness to license anything out for the longest time outside of, what, the handful of titles VEI got, and the couple Shout had.

They've never been ones to let stuff go like Uni, Fox, and Sony have, and almost never anything major or often requested.

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well, I'm not crazy about these guessing games, either, but I understand that Neil might not be at liberty to say further at this point. Also, knowing him, it's likely not a show from the '80s and beyond, as he's not usually interested in anything past the '70s. If it's a show that's been stalled for a while and is talked about often here on the HTF, it could be Petticoat Junction...although if Gary O, and others think that's unlikely, then it's probably a long shot. No other guesses here, but whatever it is, if it's a classic TV release, it's bound to make some fans here happy, and that's a good thing.

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
howard hughes
I wonder what has caused this sudden impetus on the part of CBS to start digging through the vaults to give us these classics, hopefully this is not just a blip and that the pattern continues for a few years.

By the way I hope it's the Defenders.

Last edited:

Gary OS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
But I don't think The Defenders checks off all the boxes, does it? Was that show stalled because of rights? I don't think so. I remember the discussion being it was stalled simply due to sales.

Gary "as I said earlier, it's hard to get a handle on any typical CBS property that actually checks all the boxes" O.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
The only show on my "Stalled" list that gets all the checks is The Donna Reed Show. It's been stalled some time, presumably due to issues with the rights holders, and has been discussed as needing to continue fairly regularly on HTF.

It's from Screen Gems and originally aired on ABC, who apparently shared production credits. IMDB shows the current distributor to be Sony Pictures Television, not CBS, but...

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score

English is my first language so I'm aware of the difference.

Gary OS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
English is my first language so I'm aware of the difference.
When Neil first mentioned a stalled show possibly being released yesterday, my mind thought of things like:

Benson
Love American Style
Ozzie & Harriet
White Shadow
Happy Days
Archie Bunker’s Place
Rookies
Donna Reed Show

Gary “English is a great language, and I especially like acrostics done in it” O.

David Weicker

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
I may have missed something, but why has Petticoat Junction been ruled out?

It had releases, but the last one was over five years ago (fits the definition of ‘stalled’).

Speculation over why later seasons were not forthcoming was due to music used/performed (‘rights issues’)

Has several threads discussing it, and it’s non-appearance (would imply ‘much requested’)

It was released by Paramount (essentially CBS).

If a another company releases it (Shout, Mill Creek, VEI) that would mean ‘licensed’

Peter M Fitzgerald

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Obviously not "One Step Beyond" which while stalled has too many PD episodes unless a deal were struck with someone to utilize the 35mm masters which isn't likely.

I would have to assume BH or PJ. Happy for those if that's what it is.
Not so obviously!!
Hmmm, interesting... color me guardedly optimistic! :cool:

Reactions: Flashgear

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claytonthsn