Crystal Ball time once again!

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen without the approval of Mike Judge and a metric ton of cash for music rights, assuming every artist who said yes back then is still on board for a theoretical release of this kind. Personally, I always liked the animated shorts better without the music videos which seemed to have no connection to the main story whatsoever, and I found it more satisfying to watch the compilations released on video than the show as it aired on MTV.
What would be hilarious is if Winger agrees to license their music with the Beavis and Butthead commentary mocking them.

:drum:

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
I'd be lying if I said that I'm not disappointed about the selection not being "Petticoat Junction. Oh well. At least the best seasons were released (I'm so risking the fury of the Mike Minor fans right now). That said, I did enjoy going through a cheap PD DVD set of "One Step Beyond" a few years back so I might be interested in doing an upgrade.
Petticoat Junction is a pipe dream. The later seasons are loaded to the gills with music. They are never going to be released intact. If they ever do see a commercial release, they'll be what we used to call BBB. Butchered Beyond Belief. I am perfectly happy to have them recorded complete and uncut from their many airings on TV Land Canada.

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
Completely agree with your wish that the release would have been Petticoat Junction instead (although I knew it wouldn’t be that). And I completely disagree about the best seasons already having been released, but certainly not because of Mike Minor, but rather because of the lovely Meredith MacRae. I feel like that 4th season was best, and that the show had finally hit on the right combo of actresses to compliment one another as the Bradley girls.

Gary “I can only dream about how great the series would have been if Meredith, Lori, and Linda had been together from day one” O.
While its rare for me to disagree with you about anything, to me the first 2 seasons were the best. I love Riley and Woodell in the roles and as with most shows, its freshest in the earliest episodes. Plus those 2 seemed more like naive country bumpkins with obvious physical attributes while McRae and Saunders were also beautiful, they just seemed to be more like Hollywood glamour girls, which they were. McRae especially screamed Malibu, not Hooterville.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
I'd pick up season 4 of Petticoat Junction - but that'd be it. Once Meredith MacRae joined the cast I pretty much lost interest so that 4th season is of lesser interest. When it comes right down to it I'm happy with the 3 seasons I have as those are my absolute favorites of the series.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Trent
The only shows I care about at this point are:

The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Step by Step
Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper
Amen

I’d like to see these shows completed.

Reactions: Flashgear

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Arthur
While its rare for me to disagree with you about anything, to me the first 2 seasons were the best. I love Riley and Woodell in the roles and as with most shows, its freshest in the earliest episodes. Plus those 2 seemed more like naive country bumpkins with obvious physical attributes while McRae and Saunders were also beautiful, they just seemed to be more like Hollywood glamour girls, which they were. McRae especially screamed Maliblu, not Hooterville.
That's interesting because I've long thought the opposite concerning Saunders and Woodell. Woodell struck me more as a sophisticated debutante while Saunders seemed more like a country girl.

Gary OS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
That's interesting because I've long thought the opposite concerning Saunders and Woodell. Woodell struck me more as a sophisticated debutante while Saunders seemed more like a country girl.
These last few posts just prove the timeless thoughts that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and “there’s no accounting for tastes.”

Gary “the only shock is that Neil disagreed with me” O. :laugh:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Petticoat Junction isn't a "must have" for me, although I'd certainly be willing to support it. I think a huge majority of the episodes are available to stream on YouTube in decent enough fashion, and I have the two shows I want in my collection-the crossovers with Granny and Miss Jane and they're unedited.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
dan olson
Would a show like Julia ever get its Crystal Ball moment? It was not an insignificant show by any means, with a bit of 'Courtship of Eddie's Father' flavour plus being a major vehicle starring an African-American woman. The divine Dianne Carroll could take my pulse any day!

Professor Echo

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Glen
I hate these guessing games, because I get my hopes up for certain things, and then it turns out to be something I couldn't care less about. I don't know why you just can't tell us what it is, but there's a lot I don't know; I'll just add this to the very long list.
So many posts and threads are cut and dried, predictable and dull. I for one greatly enjoy the "guessing games" and eagerly peruse post after post, page after page, building up the clues and trying my best to deduce the correct answer. It's so much more fun than just coming right out with it and then enduring endless comments of why or why it is or isn't someone's favorite. At least for awhile we all have some hope that a favorite might be on its way and as the saying goes, sometimes in life it is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

So whether it's Gary's crystal ball or Neil's, I think the mysteries are sometimes more enjoyable than the solutions.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
Would a show like Julia ever get its Crystal Ball moment? It was not an insignificant show by any means, with a bit of 'Courtship of Eddie's Father' flavour plus being a major vehicle starring an African-American woman. The divine Dianne Carroll could take my pulse any day!
Disney owns it because of the Fox merger. Your guess as to when it will ever be seen again is as good as it mine.

Petticoat Junction is a pipe dream. The later seasons are loaded to the gills with music. They are never going to be released intact. If they ever do see a commercial release, they'll be what we used to call BBB. Butchered Beyond Belief. I am perfectly happy to have them recorded complete and uncut from their many airings on TV Land Canada.
Now that just begs the question of how Canadian cable can get uncut US shows when we can't in the US.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Disney owns it because of the Fox merger. Your guess as to when it will ever be seen again is as good as it mine.

Now that just begs the question of how Canadian cable can get uncut US shows when we can't in the US.
I believe TV Bland was showing Petticoat Junction unedited here in the US as well, at least for a time. If I remember correctly, the CBS Syndication Bible only shows network versions available and no mention of syndicated ones.

Reactions: MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
Ah, I see. That managed to escape getting cut. I guess they really think they can make more money from it in TV reruns.

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
Music rights don't affect tv reruns. So they would have to have many songs cut out for DVD release not TV reruns and having to cut many songs is why the series is stalled. They know the backlash it would get after they released a few other shows with cut or replaced music.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
Different rules on how many commercials are allowed to be shown.
Indeed. The US used to limit commercial time, but only in prime time. In the early 1990s it was painful to see stations showing glorified 30-minute commercials instead of old reruns, and hilariously embarrassing to see how many used-to-bes got roped into them.

Nevertheless, I have managed to come across cut Canadian broadcasts now and then. I once found a Beta tape with original CBC broadcast of The Golden Girls (no credits, so can't comment on logos) that omitted the last minute of act 1, the opposite of how the Norman Lear shows used to have the first minute of act 1 cut out of every episode systematically when they hit reruns in the US.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
Indeed. The US used to limit commercial time, but only in prime time. In the early 1990s it was painful to see stations showing glorified 30-minute commercials instead of old reruns, and hilariously embarrassing to see how many used-to-bes got roped into them.
The lovely "infomercial" that stations love and viewers hate.

The FCC still has restrictions on the amount of commercial time in children's programming.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
Stations paid hundreds of thousands per episode for network hits that didn't deliver the same ratings in reruns. They didn't count on VCRs: presumably anyone who liked a show enough to watch it more than once now had the means to do so.

Last edited:

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Reaction score
I believe TV Bland was showing Petticoat Junction unedited here in the US as well, at least for a time. If I remember correctly, the CBS Syndication Bible only shows network versions available and no mention of syndicated ones.
I recorded them from Me-TV a few years ago. They were unedited, but they were time sped.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMartin58