What's new

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Josh Steinberg said:
I'm actually a little surprised that "Star Wars" (any version) isn't shown in repertory more often, but maybe Fox makes it nearly impossible for it to be shown...Is there anyone in the know who might be able to comment on the Fox/Lucasfilm policy on letting theaters screen the film? Clearly they don't want the original, unaltered version shown but it is surprising to me that no versions of it are shown at really any time around here. Considering so many of its contemporaries are shown regularly in repertory here, it seems like it's something other than lack of audience interest that's keeping it from being shown.
The TIFF Lightbox, the Canadian Cinematheque, tried to get a print as part of a series on the best or most influential films a little while ago, and couldn't obtain a copy of any version - and they have serious connections. It's the only film out of over a hundred they couldn't obtain.

Clearly, it's not something Fox and/or Lucasfilm want widely circulating.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm sure we're going to hear about some interesting goodies on the Batman set. At the very least, I think we can expect some commentaries from Adam West and Burt Ward on key episodes, and a round of fresh interviews with anyone they can get their mitts on.

Re The Abyss, Bill Hunt didn't actually say that James Cameron was going to be there. (I believe Cameron is dealing with his Avatar sequels in New Zealand at this time.) Hunt's column said he was hoping that Fox would make an announcement about The Abyss and True Lies given that this is an anniversary year. It's possible that they may do so. If they don't, I wouldn't wait for either to happen this year. We'll know within the week one way or the other.

Regarding Star Wars and Lucasfilm, I only expect those guys to talk about their animated TV series plans, with maybe a couple of teases about what we may see in Episode VII when it hits theaters in late 2015 or spring 2016. I tend to doubt that they're going to volunteer information about Blu-ray bonus features that may not be available for another couple of years. But I'm still hoping that someone will ask the Lucasfilm reps that question in a direct fashion. And I'm hoping that someone will ask those reps what the Reliance people are talking about on their website. If the answer comes back as "I don't know about that" or "This is the first I'm hearing of it", then It would support our reasoning that Reliance is just posting a portfolio of their past projects.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"But I'm still hoping that someone will ask the Lucasfilm reps that question in a direct fashion."At the very least they could shoot the rumors down. I hope guys like Bill Hunt can do some digging. :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would think the earliest and most appropriate time for a re-release of the original trilogy with fresh new 4K scans would be 2017.

I cannot see them passing on the 40th anniversary, something good will happen around about then, it would take three years just to get everything perfect from the old CGI effects to the lightsaber consistency and all the versions of each film.

Unless of course they go cheap, very possible, in which case they will be out next year.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Frankly, based on past experience, I would not expect them to spend a large amount on the original trilogy. To their mind, they already have them the way they want them. If we're talking about the original theatrical versions, I wouldn't anticipate anything more rigorous than a new scan of whatever they have and a minimal amount of time and effort taken to deal with color timing and basics.

I do think you could see individual Blus of each movie being marketed to coincide with either the theatrical release or home video release of Episode VII. Which would put such a release somewhere in 2016. And that's where we're likely to see the original versions pop up again. That's assuming that my belief about those versions being on a 2nd Blu-ray disc in each movie's package is correct.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Kevin EK said:
If we're talking about the original theatrical versions, I wouldn't anticipate anything more rigorous than a new scan of whatever they have and a minimal amount of time and effort taken to deal with color timing and basics.
I wouldn't mind something like that.. At all!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
Frankly, based on past experience, I would not expect them to spend a large amount on the original trilogy. To their mind, they already have them the way they want them. If we're talking about the original theatrical versions, I wouldn't anticipate anything more rigorous than a new scan of whatever they have and a minimal amount of time and effort taken to deal with color timing and basics.
Past experience from Disney or George Lucas? I think Disney is different than Lucas in that if they do release the originals, they will be done at 4K (for the next format as well) and will require sufficient work to look good. You're not going to be able to release these unless the proper work is done on them for Blu-ray. In other words, I think it's an either/or situation: either Disney will do them right as they have done with many of their classics, or they will not release them at all.

I could see the originals being thoroughly restored and coming to IMAX presentations as a build up for the new movie in Dec 2015. I also think they will tie all of this in with the new movie since Ford, Fisher, and Hamill will be in it. It's all going to be about the original Star Wars type of theme if you will.

Of course, there is always the chance they will just restore the SE versions.

Either way, I hope these movies get restored as the current Blus are rather disappointing compared to classics which have actually been 4K sourced.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
I'm sure we're going to hear about some interesting goodies on the Batman set. At the very least, I think we can expect some commentaries from Adam West and Burt Ward on key episodes, and a round of fresh interviews with anyone they can get their mitts on.

Re The Abyss, Bill Hunt didn't actually say that James Cameron was going to be there. (I believe Cameron is dealing with his Avatar sequels in New Zealand at this time.) Hunt's column said he was hoping that Fox would make an announcement about The Abyss and True Lies given that this is an anniversary year. It's possible that they may do so. If they don't, I wouldn't wait for either to happen this year. We'll know within the week one way or the other.

Regarding Star Wars and Lucasfilm, I only expect those guys to talk about their animated TV series plans, with maybe a couple of teases about what we may see in Episode VII when it hits theaters in late 2015 or spring 2016. I tend to doubt that they're going to volunteer information about Blu-ray bonus features that may not be available for another couple of years. But I'm still hoping that someone will ask the Lucasfilm reps that question in a direct fashion. And I'm hoping that someone will ask those reps what the Reliance people are talking about on their website. If the answer comes back as "I don't know about that" or "This is the first I'm hearing of it", then It would support our reasoning that Reliance is just posting a portfolio of their past projects.
I am not sure why a Reliance employee would have "Star Wars 4K Blu-ray" as a resume credential (dated after 2011) if something wasn't being done. They still might not want to say anything at the convention yet either.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Dave, Reliance may not have done more than some preliminary work on a project, and that project may not have been completed. We don't know what they've done. Given that the site In question is loaded with portfolio material from past projects, including the Bond movies from 8 years ago, I would not rely on that site as a statement of current work.

I agree with you that if there's a 4K project going on, it will be of the Lucas-approved editions and not the original theatrical versions. I also agree with you that Lucasfilm will want to have people thinking about the original trilogy as a build-up toward Episode VII. But they can do that just as easily by re-releasing the most recent versions of those movies.

Again, this doesn't mean that you won't see the original versions in HD attached as special bonuses to new Blu-ray releases. It just means that they're not likely to spend a lot of time and money on them.

As for what gets said about 4K work at Comic Con, the key is whether the Lucasfilm people have any knowledge of it. If the response comes back that they don't know what the questioner is talking about, then this rumor blows away as the speculation that it is. If the response comes back of "I can't comment on current projects relating to the original versions of the original trilogy", then you'd have confirmation that work is indeed being done. And again, the questioner must be careful to ask specifically about the original 1977, 1980 and 1983 versions of these movies. Just asking about the original trilogy will not get you anywhere but the potential that they're doing some further work on what we saw in 2011 on Blu-ray already. Further, the questioner needs to ask about the 3D conversions and whether Reliance was and/or is involved in that part of the work, as they are attesting in their own papers.

Keep in mind that Lucasfilm isn't going to be secretive about a home video release they want millions of people to buy. They'll be the first ones to trumpet it. I agree that they may keep a lid on special features (like having the original versions in HD) but even then Lucasfilm has tended to tease that kind of thing, as they did with the "sizzle reel" of the deleted material we saw included in 2011.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
lukejosephchung said:
Comic Con doesn't start officially until Wednesday, July 24th...the details of the "Batman"(1966-68)TV series blu-ray/DVD box sets are being revealed that day and there's also buzz from The Digital Bits that James Cameron will announce street dates for anniversary blu-rays of both "The Abyss" & "True Lies"...this would be the ideal forum for LucasFilm/Disney to announce blu-ray remasters of the original trilogy cuts...
I'll be at Comic Con on Friday (July 25). I'm sure any announcements will be public by then, but I'll snoop around at Lucasfilm/Disney while I'm there. :)

I REALLY hope we DO get announcements for 'The Abyss' and 'True Lies'. I can't wait to show those Blu-rays in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater!

Mark

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
As for what gets said about 4K work at Comic Con, the key is whether the Lucasfilm people have any knowledge of it. If the response comes back that they don't know what the questioner is talking about, then this rumor blows away as the speculation that it is. If the response comes back of "I can't comment on current projects relating to the original versions of the original trilogy", then you'd have confirmation that work is indeed being done.
Looking at the Star Wars Comic Con panel schedule ( http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-and-more-at-san-diego-comic-con-2014 ) it seems like it's almost all licensees and the Rebels TV show so I don't know if any of those folks would even be privy to any potential information. Even if you ask people at the LFL booth, are people who would know that info really going to be working the convention floor?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Travis, that just bears out what I was saying before - they'll want to push the animated stuff for TV, which is all they're intending to discuss.
But the guys at the LFL booth are there to promote Star Wars releases. If they don't know right off the top of their heads, they should be able to make a phone call and ask the question while you stand by. And if nobody knows the answer, then it just confirms that this is simply unfounded internet speculation again. Believe me, if there is a major push to do big Blu-ray releases of the original trilogy, and a major push to spend lots of money on the original theatrical cuts, Lucasfilm will want to push that big time. They wouldn't spend all that money and then try to keep it a secret. They'd want people to buy it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Wouldn't mind seeing the original untouched Star Wars trilogy with a 4K transfer but at least a pristine 1080p transfer in DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD would be nice. It can wait as I am very happy with Blu-ray but it would be nice to feed my UHD TV some 4k material. :D

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I confess being a little confused here. Are you guys thinking Lucasfilm is preparing 4k Blu-rays? I thought we were talking about regular Blu-rays and a possibility of them coming from 4k sources.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
This does all seem weird. If it's true that a new 4K restoration was done, it seems that Reliance (as well as an ex-Reliance employee via their online resume!) really jumped the gun and revealed this before Lucasfilm and Disney were ready.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"really jumped the gun and revealed this before Lucasfilm and Disney were ready."Which is why this rumor doesn't sound true. I hope that I'm wrong, though.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Rumors about this have swirled like crazy since the Disney buyout. As I want this more than pretty much anything in the entire world and as an OOT fan, I've been burned way too many times, this sounds way too good to be true, and I'm skeptical.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mike - gotta change your handle to Hanwastheonlyonewhoshot1138, because Greedo never got a shot off. That's how much of a badass Han was :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks