What's new

JColl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joey c.
Exactly, that galactica disc certainly didn't involve any Herculean effort, and star Wars can certainly mangage that.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Dave MJ said:
The negative most definitely survived beyond the 1997 SE versions. Several of the altered scenes were completely re-done with new CGI for the 2004 DVD version, so the negatives (or good copies of them) must have existed in 2004. Several original versions of shots are also featured on the DVD bonus disc along with numerous outtakes. I suppose Lucas could have ordered the negatives destroyed after the 2004 version, but that seems extremely unlikely. If nothing else there are probably the 1080p digital scans used to create the 2004 version.
Even though parts of the 1080p scans could be used for a Blu-ray release of the unaltered original versions, that would be inadequate for restoration, which as I said above would require a minimum 4k scan from the other film elements on the originals that are available.
Jari K said:
There's no way that Lucas "ordered" the negatives to be destroyed. That's absurd. The original version are "out there" (from the LD masters), so it's too late.
Lucas is a self-described 'hoarder'. He even kept the original effects negatives which were used for the '97 Special Edition. I doubt he's thrown anything away; it's probably hiding in the Lucasfilm vaults. Getting to it is the tricky part.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
He even kept the original effects negatives which were used for the '97 Special Edition.
In the ideal world we would get the uber megaset:
-Original versions
-97 Special Editions
-04 Special Editions
-3D versions

(lol)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I would actually really like a comprehensive box set that included all the major revisions of each film. For the origianl trilogy, that means the original versions, the '97 special editions, the '04 DVD versions, and the '11 Blu-ray versions.

Failing that, I'd be happy with even a basic, barebones Blu-ray release of the original versions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The only thing keeping a "Blade Runner 5 Disc Collector's Edition" version of Star Wars coming out would be the original director's wishes (whether he has a rider clause preventing Disney from doing it, or he's made it clear to Disney he wouldn't want them to do it and they're respecting his wishes).

Because if WB can do it for Blade Runner, whose sales will be a fraction of what an OOT would sell, then financially there's no reason for Disney not to do it. In fact, I argue it's the only way they can make money off of the original trilogy.

Let's look at this logically: with Lucas handing over the franchise to Disney he's done tinkering with the original trilogy. So really Disney has no cash cow with the original trilogy in terms of Special Edition versions - those are already out on Blu-Ray and 4K is many years away from becoming mass-market. So really the only thing that Disney can release that would generate public interest is the OOT. That's the only version of the films that are not out on HD that audiences will pay for.

Lucas has gone to the well too many times with SE versions. Even if he has another updated SE, do we really think people who have bought the SE OT BDs are going to upgrade for a few more CGI creatures inserted here and there, and some more slight dialogue changes? Or maybe Han shooting now a microsecond *ahead* of Greedo, as if that would appease the OOT fans? :D The only logical way Disney can make a decent amount of money off of the original trilogy is to sell the OOT in HD, as every other iteration is already out in HD, or if they do another minor set of tweaks SE version I would highly doubt that it sells a lot of units.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
arstechnica got one thing wrong, though: Warner owns the theatrical and video rights to the Clone Wars movie and TV series; Fox owns the video rights to the earlier 2D animated Clone Wars series produced by Genndy Tartakovsky for Cartoon Network. Other than that, the article is accurate.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Can someone explain to me how Fox owning the distribution rights to these films would any difference whatsoever to a future release? Lucasfilm decided what would be on the last Blu-ray and when it would be released, and they'll decide what will be on the next one and when it will be released. Why would it make a difference to Fox that Kathleen Kennedy is in charge now instead of George Lucas? What, they're going to say no to a release that would net them millions in revenue? It's not like they can put out their own versions!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Someone should ask J.J. Abrams about this. Meaning, that would he like to see the original trilogy on BD (unaltered). J.J., are you reading this? Help us out brotha.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Rumor has it GL took JJ to a hypnotist before he signed the SW7 contract. Anytime JJ reads or hears any hint of Original SW, his brain is programmed to send a message to his visual cortex that mimics a lens flare, but in reality it's actually a subliminally coded message to his Frontal lobes that erases that message from his short term memory while simultaneously a reinforcing message is sent to his Hypothalamus that makes him incredibly nauseous. Over time the Pavlovian effect is to condition JJ in a way him to make it physically impossible for him to be able to even conceive of such an idea much less be
involved in implementing such a plan.

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
The changes to the original trilogy are so substantial that the special editions are not even the same movies. From additional scenes, deleted scenes, changed scenes, color grading, music changing, Foley effects, you name it, film history almost demands that these films be returned to their original form as released. Just visit originaltrilogy.com and educate yourselves on the total transformation of these films by Lucas. It is truly amazing (and for me, not in a good way).

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Jari K said:
Someone should ask J.J. Abrams about this. Meaning, that would he like to see the original trilogy on BD (unaltered). J.J., are you reading this? Help us out brotha.
Hmm, is J.J. Abrams on the side of revisionist who don't mind alternative versions of sacred properties, or no?

Let me think: Is the director of Star Trek: Fire the Red Matter and Star Trek: Into Benedict Cumberbatch strongly against altering aspects of beloved franchises for new generations?

Hmmm...

Hmmmm....
But, to be serious, I was always under the impression that it was Fox, kowtowing to Lucas' desires, in not releasing the "OOT" (as we seem to be calling it now) as opposed to Fox just not giving a damn. The arstechnica article seems to imply that now, Fox would stand in the way of Disney releasing it, when it would seem to me that, under the current deal, it would actually be Disney that isn't about to just gift six restored films to Fox for them (Fox) to release. In other words, Disney probably has the means, but not the inclination. What I don't get is why Fox wouldn't want to do it themselves, as they could make piles of money between now and 2020. Although after 2020, I guess Fox would then be gifting five restored films to Disney, so maybe in the long term, it doesn't make sense for Fox.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
McCrutchy said:
I was always under the impression that it was Fox, kowtowing to Lucas' desires, in not releasing the "OOT" (as we seem to be calling it now) as opposed to Fox just not giving a damn. The arstechnica article seems to imply that now, Fox would stand in the way of Disney releasing it, when it would seem to me that, under the current deal, it would actually be Disney that isn't about to just gift six restored films to Fox for them (Fox) to release. In other words, Disney probably has the means, but not the inclination. What I don't get is why Fox wouldn't want to do it themselves, as they could make piles of money between now and 2020. Although after 2020, I guess Fox would then be gifting five restored films to Disney, so maybe in the long term, it doesn't make sense for Fox.
Fox can't release the originals by themselves. They have no control over the film elements - they're just the distributor. Lucasfilm (i.e. Disney) would have to do the restoration and then have Fox distribute it, something that seems pretty unlikely. Maybe once Disney controls distribution of everything but the first film, they'll be willing to cut a deal with Fox, but that's still several years away.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Worth said:
Fox can't release the originals by themselves. They have no control over the film elements - they're just the distributor. Lucasfilm (i.e. Disney) would have to do the restoration and then have Fox distribute it, something that seems pretty unlikely. Maybe once Disney controls distribution of everything but the first film, they'll be willing to cut a deal with Fox, but that's still several years away.
Yes, when Disney owns the rights to everything except episode IV I could see them making a deal with FOX so they could release complete trilogy sets.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Why would they wait until then? Why would Lucasfilm care about distributing through Fox now when they never have before? Especially when episode IV is never coming back to them anyway!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I still believe that Disney will try to make an offer to Fox for Episode IV that includes international rights and the Fox logo on VII-IX.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
EddieLarkin said:
Why would they wait until then? Why would Lucasfilm care about distributing through Fox now when they never have before? Especially when episode IV is never coming back to them anyway!
Because Lucasfilm used to be an independent entity. Now it's a subsidiary of Disney. Why would Disney help Fox to line its pockets when it can wait a few years and take the lion's share of the profits.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Hmm, is J.J. Abrams on the side of revisionist who don't mind alternative versions of sacred properties, or no?"Well, that's the question, isn't it? It would be interesting to hear his thoughts about the matter, but I guess he's so "close" to SW now that he has to please everybody. So his PR assistant would probably say: No comments.And they're not his films anyway.But just to make it clear one more time: Altering original films (Dir Cut, Unrated, Extended, etc etc) is not a problem (for me, at least). This is not the main issue here.The problem is that the "best" version of the original, unaltered trilogy is 480i non-anamorphic laserdisc master. Something is wrong when it's still the "best" version in 2014. It's not only wrong, it's also quite sad.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jari K said:
It would be interesting to hear his thoughts about the matter, but I guess he's so "close" to SW now that he has to please everybody. So his PR assistant would probably say: No comments.
Yeah, considering his age and the impact the movies had on him, I think it would be fair to assume that J.J. Abrams wants the original versions to be available but I'm sure he's friendly enough with George Lucas that he's not going to speak against the SEs in public.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
...he's not going to speak against the SEs in public.
I don't think he has to do that. And perhaps he actually prefers the current versions.

But I guess he could say something like: "While I prefer the current versions and truly see George's original vision, it would be nice to see those first versions after all these years in HD. That would be fun. Let's see what I can do when I talk to Kathleen and George."

I personally haven't seen the original trilogy in years (never on HD), since I've waited the "unaltered" versions on BD. My son is 3 years old now, so I have still time... He should see the "unaltered" versions first. I'm a pretty soft dad, but you have to draw the line somewhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks