Convert Component to RGB sync

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brent E, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Brent E

Brent E Auditioning

I am working on my first HT project. I have some electronics background, primarily in pro-audio, but I am lost in the video world. I have a Progressive Scan DVD player with Component, S video, and Video outputs. I have an Electrohome 3501 projector with RGB V & H sync inputs. I believe I need some sort of device to convert the signal. What are my options? The projector will display 1280 X 1024 pixels (1020 TV lines).

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I could tell you to go spend USD $1000. and buy a "Lumagen Vision" de-interlacer-scaler unit and it will solve the problem.

Aside from that, the first thing you need is a 31.5 KHz double NTSC "colorspace transcoder" that converts the progresssive component video from your DVD player into RGBHV if neither the player nor the projector has a selection to match the other.

Next you need to find out what other A x B pixels the projector will accept, even though the projector may or may not convert all inputs to 1280 x 1024. Most data grade projectors accept 640 x 480 which theoretically works almost* perfectly with 480p component video.

* by "almost" I mean there may be idiosyncrasies such as timing errors in the horizontal retrace requiring tweaking,

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm