Question for UK BENQ PE7700 owners

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David Payne, Jun 24, 2006.

1. David Payne

David Payne Stunt Coordinator

I've just bought my PE7700. I was under the impression that the projector doesn't have RGB inputs, aside from the RGBHV BNC connectors used for PC input. So, I accepted that I'd have to make do with S-Video until the day I upgrade my DVD player. (My player only provides SCART RGB and has no other component output). But, reading through the manual, I noticed it mentions that the RCA plugs accept RGB as well! I phoned BENQ to confirm this, but the guy I spoke to was a complete moron. I could see I was in for a long call straight away, as he spoke v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. Anyway, I asked him if this was true and what kind of RGB modes they accept. He told me it was completely true, and they accept ALL kinds of RGB! I asked the question again to make sure he understood what I asked, since I couldn't see how it could accept RGB types where the sync is on a different line (such as SCART RGB). He just kept repeating the same thing over and over again, I don't think he had any real knowledge of the projector or RGB types (he was one of those people who insist there's no such thing as SCART RGB, and SCART is only every used for composite video). His reasoning was, "Well if it says it accepts RGB in the manual, then it must mean all kinds" - which I found very naive. And I think he kept confusing the BNC RGBHV connectors with the component RCA plugs. In short, he was an idiot, and I can't trust what he says.

Anyway, rant over. I had to get that off my chest. I have some questions for UK PE7700 owners (because I'm guessing there might be subtle differences between models in different countries). First, are all BENQ technical advisers so stupid and uninformed? Second, has anyone else got the component RCA plugs to accept RGB signals? If so, which kinds? I'm guessing it's either RGsB or RsGsBs. If it works, I might just see if I can get a converter to turn my SCART RGB into one of those formats (not that there's much wrong with the S-Video connection I'm currently using).

2. David Payne

David Payne Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?