What's new

Multiple HDMI switch converter for older Plasma TV with no HDMI connection (1 Viewer)

MEO73

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hi, so I have an older Panasonic plasma TV that still functions beautifully and looks fantastic. The TV has neither HDMI or optical out ports, however. Currently, I have an X Box 1 connected to it via an HDMI to Component converter. I have the X Box connected to a separate soundbar via an optical out. My kid uses it as a gaming screen and for YouTube and Disney. It works great. However, we recently added a Nintendo Switch and are considering a PS5. To allow the Switch to function, I have to unplug the X Box and Plug in the Nintendo for video and use an analogue connection from the Switch to the soundbar for audio. I would like to use the soundbar (a Sony ST HT5000), which has several HDMI ports and an optical port and 3.5mm analog port, as a switcher (among the X Box, Nintendo, and PS5), but I am assuming that is impossible. I am wondering whether there is multi-input HDMI to Component converter that can be used as a switching device--or am I asking for too much? Eventually I will upgrade the TV, but it still looks and performs fine for its current use. Any solutions?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would think your solution is an hdmi switch, like a 4 in 1 out model, then feed the output of that to the component converter.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If you are using this for gaming, the switch and converter could cause enough of a delay to slow down your gaming response time. Just something to think about....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Plus, not that you asked, but you have no idea how much TVs have improved. No pre-hdmi plasma can touch even a low end QLED that's available today.

MEO73

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Yep. I know. I have an 8K LG OLED--which is why I'm trying to do the kid tv on the cheap!

MEO73

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I would think your solution is an hdmi switch, like a 4 in 1 out model, then feed the output of that to the component converter.
Not sure I follow you: do you mean 4 HDMI out to the converter, then the converter to the TV component RGB?

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi, so I have an older Panasonic plasma TV that still functions beautifully and looks fantastic. The TV has neither HDMI or optical out ports, however. Currently, I have an X Box 1 connected to it via an HDMI to Component converter. I have the X Box connected to a separate soundbar via an optical out. My kid uses it as a gaming screen and for YouTube and Disney. It works great. However, we recently added a Nintendo Switch and are considering a PS5. To allow the Switch to function, I have to unplug the X Box and Plug in the Nintendo for video and use an analogue connection from the Switch to the soundbar for audio. I would like to use the soundbar (a Sony ST HT5000), which has several HDMI ports and an optical port and 3.5mm analog port, as a switcher (among the X Box, Nintendo, and PS5), but I am assuming that is impossible. I am wondering whether there is multi-input HDMI to Component converter that can be used as a switching device--or am I asking for too much? Eventually I will upgrade the TV, but it still looks and performs fine for its current use. Any solutions?
Check Amazon. And see what they have?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have been diligently looking for those. The versions I have unearthed have either been discontinued or are currently sold out. If you are aware of any, I'd be much obliged!
I came across an HDMI to Component converter while sorting out my closet and put it up for sale in the Hardware Classified section here on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks