What's new

connectors? (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I want to make some component cables using RG6 with RCA connectors. I cannot find any connectors that go from RG6 cable to RCA males. Any idea of where I can find these? I tried parts express but didn't see them there.

Thanks,
Glenn

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well all this depends if you're going to solder the connections in which case you'd want a cable with a copper outer shield or braid to facilitate that or you plan on crimping. At PartsExpress you can start your search here. Canare crimp-on connectors enjoy a nice reputation and can be found at a number of places such as here. In all cases, it pays to double check with a phone call that the connector you plan on using is suitable for the cable you have in mind. Additional tools are also recommended such as strippers, crimpers, etc. which will add to the overall costs. However if you've got a few friends you can pool your resources together and make some cables a bit cheaper.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

Thanks for the links. Those appear to be just what I am looking for. :)

Glenn

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I have used these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...oduct_ID=15422
With Belden 1694A cable with good results. Currently using said combination as my subwoofer cable and my DVD component cable. BTW, I found that crimp die 360-690 works well on these connectors, if you don't already have a crimper.

You can also go with standard F connectors and then use F-RCA adapters (also found at partsexpress, as well as RadioShack, etc).

Enjoy :)
-- Dave

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
David,

how would those PE Crimp On Connectors work w/ Belden 7710A or Canare V3-3CFB cable?

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Stephen,
I don't have any first hand experience, so this is largely a guess, but here's what I've found:
Code:

1694A 7710A V3-3CFB V3-5CFB 
 type: RG6/U RG6/U ???? RG6? 
 conductor diameter: 18AWG 18AWG 22AWG 18AWG 
 insulation diameter: .18" .18" ??? ??? 
 outer jacket diam.: .275" .257" .173" .256"

It looks like 7710A is close enough that those connectors will work. Although they might not be as tight a connection to the outer jacket. The Kings 2065-10-9 75 Ohm BNC that Belden recommends for 7710A is also listed on the page for 1694A, which is also a good sign.
V3-3CFB is definately out, as it's even smaller than RG59. V3-5CFB looks pretty close on paper, but I believe others have reported that you really need the special Canare connectors for all Canare cable. If you ask around in this or the DIY forum I'm sure someone will be able to give a more definate answer.
It does look like the Vx-xCFB cables have a bare copper outer braid, so you might have good luck with soldering on some RCA instead of crimping. Much bigger selection of solder than crimp type RCAs around.

-- Dave

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I ordered some of those and they arrived today. I will be making some cables this weekend. I'm using quad RG6 for the cables.
What specific cable are you using? I'd have to imagine that RG6-QS will be pretty stiff stuff for most uses. Let us know your thoughts on it once it's complete :)

BTW, a quick tip: If you don't want to bother buying (and using) heat-shrink tubing, you can use colored electrical tape for identification purposes. When I was making my first set of cables I picked a variety pack from RadioShack for a few dollars. I also used some standard plastic tie-wraps every few inches to keep the cables together.

-- Dave

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this crimper from Craftsman will work with the PE crimp on RCAs? If so, i think i might start making some cables.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dave,

No brand name as far as I know. I have some regular RG6 and the quad RG6. I will look at trying either or both of them. I will check and see what cable it is, if it has any markings on it or the roll.

Glenn

>>What specific cable are you using? I'd have to imagine that RG6-QS will be pretty stiff stuff for most uses. Let us know your thoughts on it once it's complete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks