What's new

Apple USB Super Drive Story (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I upgraded to a new I Mac 2 weeks ago. When I bought my last one in 2011, it came with a physical media drive and a SD card reader as well as USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I knew Apple had stopped including physical media drives in the last 5-6 years and converted to usb C and thunderbolt. So I found the Apple USB super Drive. I purchased it even though some of the Reviews said it only works with Mac books and only when directly connected to a USB port. I had purchased a non Apple USB C connector with multiple ports I plugged the Drive into the usb on the connector and it wasn’t being read. So today I purchased an actual Apple USB C to USB adapter. I plugged the drive into that and it works. Moral of the Story, use Apple on Apple connectors

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just be aware, those drives won't take any abuse and aren't very reliable. If you really need an optical drive for more than occasional use, I suggest getting a full size external one with an AC powered enclosure.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just be aware, those drives won't take any abuse and aren't very reliable. If you really need an optical drive for more than occasional use, I suggest getting a full size external one with an AC powered enclosure.
My main use will be burning Music CDs when I purchase through the Apple store. In regards to full size drives is there one I should particularly look into?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I suggest getting an external one if you will be doing much burning at all. I've been out of the loop on that topic for a few years now, so I don't know what's what with them these days. I used to burn and rip so much I have a stack of four drives, which are rarely ever turned on anymore.

I'd probably just choose one from OWC. You just don't want a "slim" drive. There are three full size options, and might as well just go with the top one for $150 and keep it until optical no longer exists.

EDIT: If you really only want to burn CDs, the $79 one should be all you need.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
So I found the Apple USB super Drive. I purchased it even though some of the Reviews said it only works with Mac books and only when directly connected to a USB port.
According to Apple, the drive is compatible "with Mac models from 2008 and later that don't have a built-in optical drive." 2008 would have been when the first MacBook Air came out. The 3.0 pound weight of that machine came, in part, from not having a built-in optical drive – and at first, the USB SuperDrive was an accessory specifically for the MacBook Air.

If I recall correctly, there was speculation that that drive draws more power than a device can count on getting from a standard USB-A port. There may also have also been some sort of secret handshake or custom IDE-to-USB bridge firmware involved (see ArsTechnica article).

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb-superdrive

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/06/macbook-air-superdrive-modified-for-use-with-any-machine/

Last edited:

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I suggest getting an external one if you will be doing much burning at all. I've been out of the loop on that topic for a few years now, so I don't know what's what with them these days. I used to burn and rip so much I have a stack of four drives, which are rarely ever turned on anymore.

I'd probably just choose one from OWC. You just don't want a "slim" drive. There are three full size options, and might as well just go with the top one for $150 and keep it until optical no longer exists.

EDIT: If you really only want to burn CDs, the $79 one should be all you need.

I second John on this. I'm using the $150 model and it's built like a tank. It'll run all day. However, if you're sure that ll you want is DVD and CD, then the $80 model will be sufficient.

Just avoid the "slim" models. They aren't as durable.

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek
The Superdrive I got has been working for almost a decade. It never gave me trouble except when I connected it to the multi-port splitter. I have to admit that I use it less since I now put all photos and video on iCloud.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks