What's new

Code 3 Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
This one slipped under the radar but MPI has released the complete Code 3 syndicated series from the 50s. I used to watch this show in the late 60s in New York on WPIX as part of a 2-hour block with M Squad, Racket Squad and Mike Hammer. Pretty cool show. The route to DVD has been a long one. Originally, I spoke with UCLA on behalf of Timeless regarding some of the material they had which was public domain. Rather than bringing the shows to my Timeless contact, they went to Infinity (aka Falcon Group). Infinity released another of my suggestions, Man With a Camera and that bombed. They had already paid for the 35mm transfers of Code 3 but didn't release it and they spent the next decade and a half trying to recoup their costs by licensing the show to other entities until finally the found a taker with MPI.

The only reason that the 35mm prints and negatives exist is thanks to the woman who ran syndication at Republic Pictures. They syndicated both Code 3 and Racket Squad for Hal Roach Studios. When their contracts expired, Hal Roach was long out of business and rather than dump the elements in the garbage, they were donated to UCLA and thus preserved. Unfortunately, no one seems to be in any hurry to do anything with the pristine elements of the 98 Racket Squad episodes any time soon but at least they survive.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
This one slipped under the radar but MPI has released the complete Code 3 syndicated series from the 50s. I used to watch this show in the late 60s in New York on WPIX as part of a 2-hour block with M Squad, Racket Squad and Mike Hammer. Pretty cool show. The route to DVD has been a long one. Originally, I spoke with UCLA on behalf of Timeless regarding some of the material they had which was public domain. Rather than bringing the shows to my Timeless contact, they went to Infinity (aka Falcon Group). Infinity released another of my suggestions, Man With a Camera and that bombed. They had already paid for the 35mm transfers of Code 3 but didn't release it and they spent the next decade and a half trying to recoup their costs by licensing the show to other entities until finally the found a taker with MPI.

The only reason that the 35mm prints and negatives exist is thanks to the woman who ran syndication at Republic Pictures. They syndicated both Code 3 and Racket Squad for Hal Roach Studios. When their contracts expired, Hal Roach was long out of business and rather than dump the elements in the garbage, they were donated to UCLA and thus preserved. Unfortunately, no one seems to be in any hurry to do anything with the pristine elements of the 98 Racket Squad episodes any time soon but at least they survive.
Neil, thanks very much for all your informative posts. this one no exception.

Randall first broke the news about it here, and posted screen caps here.

I've really been enjoying it. Hoping someone releases Racket Squad!

Tom.W

Second Unit
Unfortunately, no one seems to be in any hurry to do anything with the pristine elements of the 98 Racket Squad episodes any time soon but at least they survive.

Racket Squad is currently airing on the internet channel Retro247, along with several other interesting shows like Lock Up, on Wednesday nights @ 9:00pm EDT. Of course, they're edited for commercials and the pq on some shows like Lock Up is almost unwatchable. Some episodes are aired straight from the Alpha sources.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Racket Squad is currently airing on the internet channel Retro247, along with several other interesting shows like Lock Up, on Wednesday nights @ 9:00pm EDT. Of course, they're edited for commercials and the pq on some shows like Lock Up is almost unwatchable. Some episodes are aired straight from the Alpha sources.

Like many 50s shows which have fallen into public domain, that's all we'll ever see are the same episodes which are floating around from old beat up 16mm prints. Its a shame as I really enjoyed Racket Squad as a kid.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Like many 50s shows which have fallen into public domain, that's all we'll ever see are the same episodes which are floating around from old beat up 16mm prints. Its a shame as I really enjoyed Racket Squad as a kid.
Racket Squad was an excellent gritty show. I still hope that someday we will see a release. Meanwhile, Reed Hadley’s other show Public Defender is pretty good too, and the complete series has been released by Classic Flix.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Racket Squad was an excellent gritty show. I still hope that someday we will see a release. Meanwhile, Reed Hadley’s other show Public Defender is pretty good too, and the complete series has been released by Classic Flix.
Just wondering if Classic Flix might be interested in Racket Squad, since they released Public Defender and since releasable elements exist.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if Classic Flix might be interested in Racket Squad, since they released Public Defender and since releasable elements exist.
Unfortunately, the hierarchy that was in place at UCLA 10-15 years ago no longer exists and it has become prohibitively expense to access elements in their archives. Back when they were providing access to shows like Man With a Camera, Mr. Peepers, The Goldbergs and Code 3, it was far more cost effective for companies to make deals with them. That's no longer the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks