What's new

ClassicFlix RARE TELEVISION Thread (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
so if a collector has quality prints they can be used to make a set?
There's having the elements to make the set and another to have the willingness to spend the time and money to restore and format to dvd or bd...with a series like this. Knowing the series is not profitable...a foundation or film society might do it, for historical archiving and offerings, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it becoming a reality.
oh boy clown GIF by Puddles Pity Party

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There's having the elements to make the set and another to have the willingness to spend the time and money to restore and format to dvd or bd...with a series like this. Knowing the series is not profitable...a foundation or film society might do it, for historical archiving and offerings, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it becoming a reality.
oh boy clown GIF by Puddles Pity Party
Recall all of the health and financial difficulties John Ellis went through to restore Steve Canyon. It's too much for a collector to do. And if you're just gonna slap them out there with no work being done at all, just send them to Alpha Video. That's all they ever did.

The work done on 21 Beacon Street is really great. I am totally fine with 16mm prints when handled properly. Really great job!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Lyle Better and Paul Birch starred in that series as attorneys who helped out the wrongly accused. Walden-Paisano produced the 26 episode series for NBC in 1957-58, rerun on ABC in 1960.
I watched a couple of episodes last night on the Alpha DVD. Interesting show. The Erle Stanley Gardner archives are at University of Texas. Maybe they have a set of prints. If not, I've no idea where the elements might have wound up. There was someone on ebay years ago who had a set of them on 16mm and was asking for some outrageous price for them.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
RACKET SQUAD is PD. The best material is owned by Paramount.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer
Thank you ----- saw a page of the book on the Hal Roach Studios and one page describes the shows Roach Jr had started and because he over extended so much money he had to bring in partnerships etc guess thats why their library is a mess - each series had different partners!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think we may want to steer further Irish/Sheena discussion back to this thread since this one should still be about what Classic Flix has released or might be releasing soon.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
We expect to make an official pre-order announcement for WORLD OF GIANTS soon, but check out a sneak peek of the upcoming Blu-ray cover below, as well as some previously posted clips in the meantime.

WOG_BD_800.jpg

"Restoration in progress" of the episode entitled "Chemical Story" with guest stars Peggie Castle and Gavin MacLeod.

Raw scan from first episode entitled "Special Agent".

ENJOY!

- David

mark-edk

Second Unit
Yes, you are correct. I had even assumed Joanna's character's name was Lola until I watched the show as that's what all references stated....
My copy of this set is arriving tomorrow; I've always wanted to see this series.
Another Mission:Impossible styled show I'd like to see on DVD is 'Masquerade'. Rod Taylor leads a team that each week is recruited from civilians with special expertise in the needed skills. So other than Rod, Kirstie Allie, and Greg Evigan, the team would change every week, a good opportunity for guest stars. Plus the show had a darn good theme:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My copy of this set is arriving tomorrow; I've always wanted to see this series.
Another Mission:Impossible styled show I'd like to see on DVD is 'Masquerade'. Rod Taylor leads a team that each week is recruited from civilians with special expertise in the needed skills. So other than Rod, Kirstie Allie, and Greg Evigan, the team would change every week, a good opportunity for guest stars. Plus the show had a darn good theme:

And this short-lived ABC series will have its 40th anniversary this year.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I noticed that every Sheena post including my initial suggestion one was moved to the other thread, so let me just from a bookkeeping standpoint note again that it is a PD title that could in the future be easier for Classic Flix to consider and doesn't require the obstacle of a studio to go through. I'll let that be the last word on that subject (for now!).

I finished "21 Beacon Street" last night. The last episode showed Joanna Barnes at her loveliest as she has to go undercover as a chorus girl at one point. The final shot also kind of slyly suggested that they knew this was the end of the line and that the show never had any chance of going beyond its summer run. It's the only episode without a next week's show teaser scene or a final tag after the credits by Dennis Morgan.

Enjoyable as it was, I doubt it could have worked long-term as a regular series because the show's biggest weakness is the limitation of a half hour format where you have to set up the premise, plan the "caper" and execute it. Also, whereas "Mission: Impossible" never needed a "final wrap-up" scene after things were accomplished, too often I found myself frustrated how an episode would never have a "wrap-up" with the client and would just end cold with the villain defeated or about to be defeated (meaning sometimes we didn't see the baddie get his comeuppance moment, only that we knew he'd been defeated) An hour format certainly would have helped the show "breathe" better.

We'll overlook the fact that some of the team's methods of breaking and entering (in one case lifting a gun from a private home to give to the police to check) would never pass muster with today's civil liberatrians. :)

Thanks to Classic Flix for rescuing this show from obscurity and bringing it to us!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I watched a couple episodes of 'Beacon Street' and the transfers really look better than I expected from 16mm. Also like the the commercials option.

Maybe it's common knowledge but until I looked it up I wasn't aware of the amazing, tragic story of the 'Beacon Street' writer who later wrote for 'Mission Impossible'.
Thanks for your purchase, and, yes, for 16mm prints the presentation is very nice. Both this series and O. HENRY (as well as the upcoming WORLD OF GIANTS) are all from 16. The raw scans on all the above are very rough but we're investing between 15 - 25 hours per episode to restore them and a little restoration can really go a long way on these 16's.

Regarding the sad and "stranger than fiction" story you mentioned, I've been in the business for 20 years and had never heard of it until we took on BEACON.

- David

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Hi David any updates on WOG Pre-Order and Release Date?

Thanks!
The warping issues on WOG, and coincidentally OUR TOWN (both originally penciled in for September releases), are the most severe we've ever had to deal with. Removing/mitigating warping is very time-consuming so we've had to put them off. We hope to announce them both soon for late October releases.

- David

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The warping issues on WOG, and coincidentally OUR TOWN (both originally penciled in for September releases), are the most severe we've ever had to deal with. Removing/mitigating warping is very time-consuming so we've had to put them off. We hope to announce them both soon for late October releases.

- David
Oh bummer. Thanks for the prompt response David!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks