What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

ClassicFlix RARE TELEVISION Thread (1 Viewer)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Hi David- I know it’s been mentioned in passing but is there any possibility that Classicflix would/could ever release either or both of Ann Sothern’s series? It’s been almost 40 years, but Nick at Nite had beautiful transfers.

The other series I’d love to see would be Topper- could this ever be an option?
Of course we would love to do one or all of them, but it always comes down to rights holders and material—which right now neither are on the radar.

Also, at this time we have enough potential TV series' to keep us busy for at least 18 months too, so it isn't likely those would happen soon unless a fantastic deal somehow fell in our lap.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Of course we would love to do one or all of them, but it always comes down to rights holders and material—which right now neither are on the radar.

Also, at this time we have enough potential TV series' to keep us busy for at least 18 months too, so it isn't likely those would happen soon unless a fantastic deal somehow fell in our lap.

- David
Appreciate the reply, David!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hi David- I know it’s been mentioned in passing but is there any possibility that Classicflix would/could ever release either or both of Ann Sothern’s series? It’s been almost 40 years, but Nick at Nite had beautiful transfers.

The other series I’d love to see would be Topper- could this ever be an option?
We have all of the Susies and Ann Sotherns uncut from Nick. Would much rather get other series.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
We have all of the Susies and Ann Sotherns uncut from Nick. Would much rather get other series.
IMG_1339.jpeg

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Any possibility for Wichita Town starring Joel McCrea and his son Jody McCrea? Walter Mirisch passed away this past February and maybe his estate might be willing to grant the licensing rights to that series.

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
But those of us who don't have all of them would certainly appreciate their release.
Except neither is PD. They were sold to Metromedia which got bought out by Fox, who didn't have a clue about the shows they inherited in the deal. Now Disney owns them so you can pretty much forget about it unfortunately.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hi David,
Thanks for all of the love that you are showing all of us!! Just got he shipping notice for 21 Beacon Street, I'm looking forward to that series.
I did want to ask you about a series not really being shown the love...the color Cisco Kid series. Most of these were running along side of the Lone Ranger, Roy Rodgers and others in the theaters during the weekend Kids Matinees back in the day. When they appeared on TV, I only saw them in black & white because that is the kind of tv I had at the time. Today I see them on streaming apps but they look tired and faded/washed out.

Is there any hope these might find a place in your future lineup?

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Any possibility for Wichita Town starring Joel McCrea and his son Jody McCrea? Walter Mirisch passed away this past February and maybe his estate might be willing to grant the licensing rights to that series.
We've tried for several years to get this one, but have not been able to get to first base.

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Hi David,
Thanks for all of the love that you are showing all of us!! Just got he shipping notice for 21 Beacon Street, I'm looking forward to that series.
I did want to ask you about a series not really being shown the love...the color Cisco Kid series. Most of these were running along side of the Lone Ranger, Roy Rodgers and others in the theaters during the weekend Kids Matinees back in the day. When they appeared on TV, I only saw them in black & white because that is the kind of tv I had at the time. Today I see them on streaming apps but they look tired and faded/washed out.

Is there any hope these might find a place in your future lineup?
I wouldn't rule anything out, but it's not likely unless a good deal with decent materials presents itself.

- David

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

I don’t know that CF wants this to become a wishlist thread and so I haven’t listed any titles I’d like for them to offer up, but I too would love to see both of Ann’s shows released someday.

I didn’t have Nick at Nite in the mid/late-80s when they were rerun and don’t remember seeing them once I had it in the 90s, but I saw them a few times when out of town and staying in hotels that carried the channel. Seemed like fun shows that I would enjoy finally viewing in their entirety.

At this point, CF is probably the only company that might have any interest in these series and therefore the last hope. Still, whatever shows they want (and are able) to release I’m sure will be worth purchasing.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
A REPOST FROM EARLIER IN THIS THREAD:

Just a suggestion...I hope I don't come across as a killjoy (and I'm not a moderator, just speaking for myself), but as a fellow fan, I share you guy's yearnings (B+W TV is my favorite era), but I think we should let up a little on a barrage of obscure or well known never-on-disc vintage TV show requests in this dedicated thread...just to give ClassicFlix a break on having to answer each and every show inquiry, although David has been very informative and helpful, but we should look forward to whatever info he chooses to volunteer here, when and if he feels like it...we know that David of ClassicFlix reads Gary-O's 'B+W TV on DVD is Slowly Coming to an end' thread...you guys do you, but that ongoing and lengthy thread might be a better approach in posting wants and suggestions for ClassicFlix?

I'm very much looking forward to getting 21 Beacon Street, and subsequent ClassicFlix Rare Television releases!

This suggestion is very much appreciated, and while we have our plate full for at least the next year or so with definite and likely TV releases, please do continue mentioning PD and non-studio releases (no WB, Paramount, MGM or Universal).

Why PD and non-studios? The studios are basically closed to us at this time and while we seek out titles constantly, we are only doing 21 BEACON STREET and the next two RARE TELEVISION releases because of fan suggestions. Specifically,

1) A fan of Dennis Morgan casually mentioned 21 BEACON STREET (PD) to me and I investigated it and 6 months later, we announced it for release.
2) Our next RARE TELEVISION release (PD) was mentioned on this very forum! I won't say where or when as it might give it away, but I am grateful for the mention as it spurred us to pursue it.
3) The next RARE TELEVSION release after that will be the 1960s sitcom that I have previously mentioned. It is owned by the family of the original producer. We came to know about it because a friend of that producer emailed me and gave me the family contact information and suggested I reach out to them.
4) Because of the mention of #2 above on this forum, we have several more PD TV shows we have access to because they are housed at the same place as #2.

So please keep the suggestions coming. I may not always answer every single suggestion, but I will be checking this thread regularly, as well as other TV related threads on HTF.

Thanks!

- David

Tom.W

Second Unit
I didn’t have Nick at Nite in the mid/late-80s when they were rerun and don’t remember seeing them once I had it in the 90s, but I saw them a few times when out of town and staying in hotels that carried the channel. Seemed like fun shows that I would enjoy finally viewing in their entirety.
For anyone who has Prime, there are several episodes of Private Secretary (Susie) available for viewing there. At one time, the Ann Sothern Show was also up there. I didn't see it now though.

I haven't looked into the status of The Man and the Challenge with George Nader, so I'm not asking David to pursue it, as it's probably not PD. At least one episode was floating around some years back. A very interesting show.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
May I suggest to David, "Don't Call Me Charlie", which yielded 26 episodes, but only 18 aired on NBC in 1962-63. Josh Peine, John Hubbard, Linda Lawson, and Alan Napier starred in the series about a veterinarian from Iowa entering the army.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Just placed my order for both 21 Beacon Street and the 3rd volume of The O. Henry Playhouse.

So that’s 2 more complete series added to my collection. (I’d purchased the previous 2 Playhouse volumes a few weeks ago.) Obscure gems that would not have even been on my radar as possibilities if not for the great work CF is now doing bringing these TV treasures to light.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks