What's new

International Check out these 4K Studio Canal releases in 2020 (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If Flash is a UHD disc, I'm in. Like day one, watching the night it comes in the mail, turn the phone off and ignore the world. I love it that much.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
When I read 4k Re-Releases, I understand it to be 4k Re-Releases.
No mention whatsoever of Blu-ray or DVD.
I tend to take things literally when they are presented that way ;)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
On November 9th Studio Canal will release on 4k and Blu-ray The Ladykillers. Great news and when the price comes down i will get it.

TheLadykillers_CE.jpg

• UHD, Blu-ray and DVD
  • The feature in both 1.37:1 and 1.66:1 aspect ratios
  • ‘Those Glorious Ealing Films’ CD soundtrack (with music from The Ladykillers, Passport to Pimlico, Kind Hearts & Coronets and more)
  • 64-page booklet
  • 6 Pop Art artcards
  • NEW documentary ‘Investigating the Ladykillers’ featuring new and archive interviews including Reece Shearsmith, The Guardian’s Catherine Shoard, Stuart Maconie, Ronald Harwood, Allan Scott and Terence Davies
  • NEW ‘Colour in The Ladykillers’: new interview with Professor Keith Johnston
  • ‘Forever Ealing’ documentary narrated by Michael Balcon’s grandson Daniel Day-Lewis
  • Lobby Cards gallery
  • Behind-the-scenes gallery
  • Audio commentary with author and film scholar Philip Kemp
  • King’s Cross locations featurette with Alan Dein
  • Excerpt from BBC Omnibus ‘Made in Ealing’ (1986) featuring interviews with Alexander Mackendrick and William Rose.
  • Audio interview with Assistant Director Tom Pevsner
  • Audio interview with Unit Production Manager David Peers
  • Peter Sellers spoof trailer from the set of The Ladykillers
  • Trailer

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Did try to order the 4K disc of The Ladykillers from Amazon UK but received a message they won't ship to the US. Website Zavvi US has it for sale $52.49 plus $4.99 delivery.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Following a discussion on my FB page, people who know the record on Ealing and Aspect Ratios can confirm they jumped in early from 1954 for 1.66 as a masked ratio and DPs shot for that while protecting for 1.37. By 1955 When this was released they were shooting for 1.75 projection in the UK with polssible maximum option to 1.85. John Hodson who has seen it projected with 1.75 confirms it looks dead rIght. In another aspect of cluelessness. The copy for the Disc press release talks about a three strip Technicolor 35 print. The statement lends itself to ambiguity as if the final print was a three strip , not from a three strip source.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Too many labels opt for 1.66:1 if they have no accurate record of the original intended aspect ratio. The idea that 1.66:1 was the standard ratio for the majority of early widescreen films in the U.K. is very difficult to shift. Did StudioCanal not learn anything from their own release of The Dam Busters which they got right at 1.75:1? I suppose we should be thankful that at least they didn't release it again in only the Academy ratio.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Too many labels opt for 1.66:1 if they have no accurate record of the original intended aspect ratio. The idea that 1.66:1 was the standard ratio for the majority of early widescreen films in the U.K. is very difficult to shift. Did StudioCanal not learn anything from their own release of The Dam Busters which they got right at 1.75:1? I suppose we should be thankful that at least they didn't release it again in only the Academy ratio.
And yet, because Studio Canal released The Dam Busters in both ratios, Film Movement in the USA picked up the wrong one (1.37) for their release. Had that not been provided as a choice...

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
They merely have to do some minimal research 0f the sort movie scholars do daily. Like production and release records for projection.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Did try to order the 4K disc of The Ladykillers from Amazon UK but received a message they won't ship to the US. Website Zavvi US has it for sale $52.49 plus $4.99 delivery.
Once it’s actually on sale (rather than preorder) it may be easier to obtain from Amazon UK. I’ve seen this happen with titles I’ve wanted since the pandemic.

Doff Hat

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Following a discussion on my FB page, people who know the record on Ealing and Aspect Ratios can confirm they jumped in early from 1954 for 1.66 as a masked ratio and DPs shot for that while protecting for 1.37. By 1955 When this was released they were shooting for 1.75 projection in the UK with polssible maximum option to 1.85. John Hodson who has seen it projected with 1.75 confirms it looks dead rIght. In another aspect of cluelessness. The copy for the Disc press release talks about a three strip Technicolor 35 print. The statement lends itself to ambiguity as if the final print was a three strip , not from a three strip source.
Excuse me David and Douglas, but how would I go about displaying the 1.75:1 ratio from this forthcoming Ladykillers release? Will I be able to use the common-top approach on the 1.66:1 version, or will I need to crop from the 1.37:1 version. I see from that 1955 BFPA report that filming may have started before the common-top and 1.66:1 tolerance recommendation came in, so is it known to be tolerable at 1.66:1 with 1.75:1 and 1.85:1 sharing the same top?

I notice my R2 1.66:1 Ladykillers DVD also has cropping on the left (and a tiny bit on the right) compared to the screen captures of the 1.37:1 BD (2010). Any reason why that is? I thought it was supposed to have common width with the 1.37:1, for matting top and bottom.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Tim the 1.75 should be masked from the full 1.37 open matte. SO sh9uld the 1.66 they've gone with for this. Hopefully they have, without cropping on sides.

Doff Hat

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Thanks David. So if I've read you correctly, I'll need to somehow vertically centre crop the 1.75 from the open matte 1.37, masking top and bottom equally, rather than just masking off the bottom of the (hopefully correct) 1.66. I expect I'll toy around with it whenever I get the disc. If I have that wrong, I'll try centre cropping the 1.37 to 1.66 and then mask some more off the bottom to get 1.75, using 1.66 common-top.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Here's some great pictures from behind the scenes

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks