What's new

The Servant 4K UHD StudioCanal (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
StudioCanal's UK release of The Servant in a 4K UHD box is probably the best-looking UHD I've seen projected so far. Even better than their UHDs of black and white classics Breathless, The Elephant Man and La Haine. The black and white deep-focus photography by Douglas Slocombe is absolutely stunning. The detail revealed by the 4K picture projected onto a 130 inch screen is so good, fine facial hairs are visible on the actors and actresses. An enormous improvement on the blu-ray released in 2013 - which didn't look bad then, but now looks washed-out and blurry in comparison.

StudioCanal hasn't provided a single sentence on the booklet or disc, as to who did the restoration, but it looks like it was performed by Silver Salt - who did last year's stellar The Ladykillers restoration. The film itself is a classic - one of the key inspirations for the Oscar winner for best picture in 2020: Bong Joon Ho's Parasite.

StudioCanal has provided both the 1.66:1 and 1:75:1 aspect ratio versions - the difference is minimal and the 1:75:1 didn't seem distractingly cropped. I've uploaded a couple of screenshots from a scene for comparison.

Absolutely a must-buy for connoisseurs of classic films!

IMG_5824.jpg
IMG_5826.jpg

dmac

Insider
Real Name
David Mackenzie
You are correct, the restoration work was done at Silver Salt. Compression and authoring done at Fidelity in Motion.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
You are correct, the restoration work was done at Silver Salt. Compression and authoring done at Fidelity in Motion.
This was my choice for the best UHD of 2021. A reference-quality example of what 4K UHD can achieve. Excellent work (again), David!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks