What's new

International Check out these 4K Studio Canal releases in 2020 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not gonna lie. Flash Gordon is a Day 1 purchase for me. I love every cheesy minute of it.

Absolutely for me too. LOVE that film.

However, even more so, I am AMAZED that THE ELEPHANT MAN never saw a Blu-ray release domestically. Not it's coming out on 4k overseas and I am going to grab that day one.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Me too and a great soundtrack by Queen. Also like the look of the film.
It's such a colorful film that well-done HDR should look fantastic. I'm just a little concerned because the HDR work done on both The Fog and Escape from New York releases from Studio Canal, while okay, is far from the best HDR I've seen. Then again, both are really dark films (in the visual sense) and I imagine those are tough to pull off. Flash Gordon is anything but dark.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The recent StudioCanal 4K release og Angel Heart was very dark and their John Carpenter sets left a bit to be desired. Hope we don't have all sorts of HDR problems with these forthcoming titles. On the plus side, StudioCanal will probably release remastered blu-rays to go with and these have looked pretty decent.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My interpretation is that they are new 4k scans but as is often the case, they will release on blu ray. I didn't read it as if they would be 4k discs.

I understand where you are coming from, but it's really hard to say.

The article doesn't specifically address either 4k transfer for 4k or Blu-ray release.

If it puts you guys at ease I will change the direction of the thread title.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
“2019 re-releases included Kind Hearts And Coronets, Don’t Look Now, Universal Soldier, The Third Man and Jean Cocteau’s Le Testament D’Orphee.“

Wasn’t aware that The Third Man had received yet another 4K facelift, beyond the superb Blu-ray release of 2015.

Can anyone here please confirm that this is the case? I see that Studio Canal will be releasing The Third Man in Germany next week under a 70th anniversary banner. Had presumed this to be a rebrand of the 2015 release, but perhaps it is more.

Very much looking forward to the Ladykillers makeover in 4K.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Studio Canal have released quite a lot of catalog titles on UHD over the last year or so, so I think there's a good chance that some of the titles just announced for 2020 will be UHD. Flash Gordon's a no brainer for UHD, its a popular film.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Unless i'm mistaken these will be rereleases in 1080p and not 4k.
The way it reads doesn't lead me to believe the titles mentioned in the first paragraph are Blu-ray, but we all know how accurate online articles can be these days. ;) I shall stay hopeful until given reason not to be.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Though precise words are missing, I get a strong impression that it’s referring to UHD. If not, someone should be hung by their ankles for poor writing. You’d think that quick confirmation should be available from Studio Canal.

A brief write-up by Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits sounds unequivocally like UHD releases.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The article certainly reads as if the mentioned films will be 4K UHD releases. The author references SC's 4K "restoration" of "Apocalypse Now" and that was a 4K UHD Blu-ray release, not just a 4K scan with re-release on standard Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks