What's new
World Wide Stereo

Center Channel on TV Question (1 Viewer)

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone!

I have a question for you. About what weight would you say is the MAXIMUM WEIGHT of a center channel speaker, that you would place on TOP of a Hitachi 46F500 HiDef Rear projection CRT? I have heard horror stories of the framework of the TV beginning to bow in the top center over time. I want to be able to constantly upgrade my system and part of that is getting a larger, more dynamic center channel.

Suggestions?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I had a Polk CSi40 for 2 years that had started to bow the top of my Hitachi 51" rptv. I think it was around 24 lbs. I now have built an Adire 281 center that weighs over 40 lbs. and am NOT going to set it in the same place. Either make a shelf, or put a SUPER rigid brace across the top of the tv.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Ya, if you are really worried about it you could just put a board across the top of your tv. that ways the speaker weight will be spread out.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm going to put a few 4 ft. long shelving channels across the top of the tv, and secure them together. I'm getting black ones at Menards that look like these:

http://www.victorshelving.com/product5.htm[/url]

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator

I get that a lot. Just imagine how Dan Gallager, Henry Hill, Clark Kent and Ann Darrow feel. Funny you mentioned 'HEAT' because it does happen to be one of my favorite movies!

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
A good friend of mine had a neat idea. He is going to have a piece of glass cut into the shape of a squashed, rounded corner isosceles triangle. It will be placed on top of the TV with the largest plane facing the audience. Beneath each corner would be a rubber leg with the two corners closest to the front of the TV being the same height, and then the rear one being longer because of the sloping angle on the back of the TV. The speaker would then go right on top. The glass shelf now distributes the weight to three points far away from one another. It sounded brilliant but I don't know how he would get the legs done. He would definitely have to have a level before determining the length of the rear leg. I bet it would look SWEET though!

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
A good friend of mine had a neat idea. He is going to have a piece of glass cut into the shape of a squashed, rounded corner isosceles triangle. It will be placed on top of the TV with the largest plane facing the audience. Beneath each corner would be a rubber leg with the two corners closest to the front of the TV being the same height, and then the rear one being longer because of the sloping angle on the back of the TV. The speaker would then go right on top. The glass shelf now distributes the weight to three points far away from one another. It sounded brilliant but I don't know how he would get the legs done. He would definitely have to have a level before determining the length of the rear leg. I bet it would look SWEET though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks