What's new

DTS-X/Atmos Speaker placement (1 Viewer)

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Hey folks. I have a Yamaha receiver that supports Atmos and DTS-X. And just bought a new 70” TV that should be able to transmit a DTSX and/or Atmos signal via HDMI arc. So new it’s still in the box. I have yet to experience Atmos or DTSX sound via lack of not having a device that offers it. Just got my son a PS5 for Xmas so that offers it as well when watching BluRay.

So on to the point. I have a 5.2 setup right now consisting of and in-wall center channel (3-way, dual 5.25 with tweeter), sitting approximately 45 inches from the floor to center of cone, centered below the TV. The 2 in-wall fronts that are approx 71 inches floor to center of cone (2-way, 8inch woofers w/tweeter), on each side of the tv. And 2 in-ceiling surround speakers (8inch w/tweeters), placed in the ceiling evenly spaced a few feet behind the listening location. I ran the wiring in the wall from the banana plugs into the attic with the plan to add 2 more of the same in-ceiling speakers to accommodate 7.2. And Atmos/DTS-X, as I am under the impression that Atmos requires at least two up or down firing speakers. I have the two rears down firing but really the ceiling is the only place I can add 2 more speakers anyway. 😂

My question is where do I put these last 2 speakers? Close to the fronts? Centered in between fronts and rears? Same width as the fronts and rears or out wider? Or does it even matter? I can give more details on the room layout and provide pics if needed. Just don’t wanna give too much useless information out of the gate if it’s unnecessary. Thanks in advance guys/gals.

I know my knowledge in Home Audio pales in comparison to what a lot of those in here know. So excuse any comments or assumptions I may have had that are completely inaccurate.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It’s not possible to have any speakers on the side walls? That‘s really where the first pair of surround speakers should be.

Which receiver did you get?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't an ATMOS set up require LCR, side and back surrounds and front and back height speakers? Leaving the subwoofer out just to focus on the surround field speakers.

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
It’s not possible to have any speakers on the side walls? That‘s really where the first pair of surround speakers should be.

Which receiver did you get?
It’s not possible. Unfortunately. There are windows on the side walls.

I got the Yamaha RX-V683BL

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Wouldn't an ATMOS set up require LCR, side and back surrounds and front and back height speakers? Leaving the subwoofer out just to focus on the surround field speakers.
Not entirely sure. That’s why I am here. 😂 I was under the impression the down/up firing was sufficient. But I wanted to check in with someone who could better explain all the little details. I could do down firing from the ceiling and have them wherever necessary in the ceiling. Only have the joist to worry about.

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Well a few choice words and I found this. I am a little thrown by the “Atmos enabled speakers”. Is there a specific type of speaker to get or does the receiver enable it?

Attachments

• 6C1F7AFD-D845-4DDC-B7ED-C51548BC12A0.jpeg
    6C1F7AFD-D845-4DDC-B7ED-C51548BC12A0.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 414

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Any speaker works. You plug the speakers into the presence terminals for yamaha. And enable it in the reciever settings and ensure you have the correct speaker placement.

You can't have ceiling surround speakers that isn't for Dolby atmos anywhere near the ceiling. You will see that all speaker placement guides will have those side and rear channels around ear level.

To experience Dolby atmos properly, having near ear level side speakers is critical to the experience.

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Any speaker works. You plug the speakers into the presence terminals for yamaha. And enable it in the reciever settings and ensure you have the correct speaker placement.

You can't have ceiling surround speakers that isn't for Dolby atmos anywhere near the ceiling. You will see that all speaker placement guides will have those side and rear channels around ear level.

To experience Dolby atmos properly, having near ear level side speakers is critical to the experience.
Damn. 😕

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's really best that you have at least a pair of side surround speakers, but worst case, if you can only have them overhead, I'd probably connect those as Atmos and let the receiver's processor work out the details. It will try to matrix in the effect of anything that's missing. After all, Atmos soundtracks have a base of 7.1.4 "bed" channels, and not many people even have a 7.1.4 setup.

My point being, if you have three speakers in the front, 2 or 4 overhead speakers, and no side speakers, I would configure those overheads as Atmos and not activate any surround channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks