What's new

CBS Series DVD's and possible Blu Revisits (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I didn't want to diss rail another thread with conversations that people were going to bring up many different titles, so this is a forum for that one.

With everything that's happened in 2020 and many people catching up on things that have sat on their shelves that haven't been watched. I'm slowly going through some of my back catalogue of TV programs, and of course have ordered the complete series of Mission Impossible. That got me looking at all the items that I own from CBS / Paramount. An honestly when they step up to the plate and do restorations and release seasons in HD, it's truly something to behold. all three seasons of the original Star Trek, plus the Roddenberry Vault, and even the Animated Series. James Clavell’s Shogun, The original Twilight Zone, The Honeymooners.

Where they seemed to have a few problems was when they tried to release single seasons have a couple of titles, the first two seasons of I Love Lucy, the first season of the Andy Griffith Show. Maybe it was the sticker shock of helping to pay for the restorations. the question remains with these have done better if they would have been sold as a complete package. I know that all three sets are well put together.

And with every one of the conglomerates coming up with its own exclusive streaming platform where they need HD content, a lot of older programs are getting looked at for restorations for rebroadcast. So back to my original posting in another thread, looking at CBS /Timeless release of the Life and Times of Grizzly Adams, I would hope that this could possibly be looked at for a full restoration and possible HD release.

it's family friendly, but what mostly pops out is that it was completely shot on location, and that's where the beauty lies, lifting the veil of 480 pixels of resolution to give this a pristine viewing would be breathtaking.

Cecret_Lake_Panorama_Albion_Basin_Alta_Utah_July_2009.jpg

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think it's pretty clear that the really long-running shows are likely out of the running. It's a miracle that they've managed to get the entirety of Gunsmoke out on DVD. To have it on BD would probably be out of the question. Ditto Hawaii Five-O or Perry Mason. Even Rawhide might be pushing it.

Separating out the Quinn Martin series, my top five choices that I think would/might be doable would be Beauty and the Beast, The Equalizer, Have Gun - Will Travel, The Twilight Zone (1980s), and The Wild Wild West.

Some one-season wonders I'd like to see are Kindred: The Embraced , Legend, Longstreet, The Magician. And 2016's BrainDead, which really should've been released on BD during this year's election season.

And then, of course, there are ones like The Defenders, which has music clearance issues.

For QM shows, the ones I'd really like to see (that are with CBS) on BD would be The Invaders, The Fugitive, and The Untouchables. It's unfortunate that 12 O'Clock High is with Fox, and therefore Disney, so that'll never happen.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I think it's pretty clear that the really long-running shows are likely out of the running. It's a miracle that they've managed to get the entirety of Gunsmoke out on DVD. To have it on BD would probably be out of the question. Ditto Hawaii Five-O or Perry Mason. Even Rawhide might be pushing it.

Rawhide like Mannix has had eight seasons so I have some strong doubts about CBS willing to release them.
Anyway, CBS pushes Mission: Impossible with its seven seasons.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And with every one of the conglomerates coming up with its own exclusive streaming platform where they need HD content, a lot of older programs are getting looked at for restorations for rebroadcast. So back to my original posting in another thread, looking at CBS /Timeless release of the Life and Times of Grizzly Adams, I would hope that this could possibly be looked at for a full restoration and possible HD release.

it's family friendly, but what mostly pops out is that it was completely shot on location, and that's where the beauty lies, lifting the veil of 480 pixels of resolution to give this a pristine viewing would be breathtaking.

Cecret_Lake_Panorama_Albion_Basin_Alta_Utah_July_2009.jpg

I would love to see The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams remastered and released on BD.
The DVD transfers are awful (plus they are edited). If any show deserves it, that would be the one, and like you say the scenic beauty alone would be worth the price tag.

It isn't the best show ever made, but it is so family friendly, and sweet. My earliest memories of TV was watching it replayed early Saturday Evenings on NBC followed by The Muppet Show.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Beavis and Butthead unabridged and uncensored.

with all the issues that TV series have with music rights and being tied up, that would be probably one of the hardest if not damn near impossible, things to ever get released. would I love to see it all again in it original format, no edits, obnoxious as hell, absolutely!!! sadly I believe this is one of those things, that those of US old enough, and had MTV, back when they still played videos, were able to experience for that one brief moment in time.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That would be great, but my top want would be Have Gun Will Travel restored on HD.

I’m watching the show for the first time now on DVD and it’s location photography offers a lot of HD potential.

My concern is that the complete series set goes for just $40 which is basically “liquidating existing stock” pricing and I’m not sure that there’s a market for the show at a price point that would make a release feasible. I think the next best hope would be something like what happened with Mission Impossible, where streaming and syndication licensing covered the cost of creating HD masters, and CBS/Paramount was willing to take a chance on pressing discs since the heavy lifting had already been done and paid for. The question is, is there any cable channel or streaming service willing to license the show at a price point that would allow for the creation of new masters?

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I’m watching the show for the first time now on DVD and it’s location photography offers a lot of HD potential.

My concern is that the complete series set goes for just $40 which is basically “liquidating existing stock” pricing and I’m not sure that there’s a market for the show at a price point that would make a release feasible.

Part of what doomed I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show on blu-ray is that CBS was initially trying to get $100+ for the season one blu-ray sets when at the same time the entire DVD series sets were going for well under that. As heretical as it may sound around here, occasionally you're simply going to say that you're content with the DVDs (especially at those price points). If CBS had put out complete series blu-ray sets for ILL and TAGS at or around the hundred dollar mark, you likely would have seen much stronger sales, but would have it been economically viable? With home media alone - probably not. With streaming and TV sales - maybe.

Last edited:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've said it before, but I'll say it again (and again). I'd be more than willing to triple-dip on the original Dallas on Blu-ray. Especially since I still can't find the Season 10 and 11 single-sided DVD sets that were put out just a couple of years ago!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Part of what doomed I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show on blu-ray is that CBS was initially trying to get $100+ for the season one blu-ray sets when at the same time the entire DVD series sets were going for well under that. As heretical as it may sound around here, occasionally you're simply going to say that you're content with the DVDs (especially at those price points). If CBS had put out complete series blu-ray sets for ILL and TAGS at or around the hundred dollar mark, you likely would have seen much stronger sales, but would have it been economically viable? With home media alone - probably not. With streaming and TV sales - maybe.

The release of "Mission Impossible" potentially opens a new door for CBS to release complete series on blu-ray at reasonable prices. Especially, when they can use existing HD masters struck several years back for the original DVD releases. Don't expect extras to be ported over or new masters to be made, just HD quality presentation. Also, it is probably unlikely they would attempt series that missed out on the previous go of remastering into HD or anything related to music rights issues. "The Fugitive" could be a good next release based on on the success of the show and lower number of seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks