What's new

CBS Series DVD's and possible Blu Revisits (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I think it's pretty clear that the really long-running shows are likely out of the running. It's a miracle that they've managed to get the entirety of Gunsmoke out on DVD. To have it on BD would probably be out of the question. Ditto Hawaii Five-O or Perry Mason. Even Rawhide might be pushing it.

Separating out the Quinn Martin series, my top five choices that I think would/might be doable would be Beauty and the Beast, The Equalizer, Have Gun - Will Travel, The Twilight Zone (1980s), and The Wild Wild West.

Some one-season wonders I'd like to see are Kindred: The Embraced , Legend, Longstreet, The Magician. And 2016's BrainDead, which really should've been released on BD during this year's election season.

And then, of course, there are ones like The Defenders, which has music clearance issues.

For QM shows, the ones I'd really like to see (that are with CBS) on BD would be The Invaders, The Fugitive, and The Untouchables. It's unfortunate that 12 O'Clock High is with Fox, and therefore Disney, so that'll never happen.

well if we were to take into account redistribution (syndication packages and CBS All Access) in account along with anything I would think that Twilight Zone 80's version would need a good looking over, shot on film so it should look a hell of a lot better than it does, sort of like mud strained through pantyhose's on VHS. IMO, it's a better and closer representation of the classic original run of Twilight Zone, than the current iteration that is using that title, sure it throws in pop culture references and try's to pay homage, but pales in comparison.

Where as the 80's version was the twilight Zone... it would just be nice to see it presented that way, and hell they could go all out on it , much like the original, look at everyone who was associated with it, writers, directors, actors, it's a veritable who's who of , up and coming, and veterans who did justice to the spirit of the original, just my two cents.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
With David L. Lander's passing a few days ago, Paramount needs to put together a long overdue proper release for Laverne & Shirley. As Cindy Williams, Eddie Mekka, and Michael McKean aren't getting any younger so wise up and use them before you lose them.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know Ive said this before. But, I'll take a re release of Gomer Pyle USMC un cut for 100 and anMGM Blu Ray of Mister Ed for the daily double assuming the rights have reverted to MGM from Shout .. My season 4 of Mister Ed (Which aired on CBS) is great but I just pulled it to watch and the Sound is degraded in Home Sweet Trailer

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I know Ive said this before. But, I'll take a re release of Gomer Pyle USMC un cut for 100 and anMGM Blu Ray of Mister Ed for the daily double assuming the rights have reverted to MGM from Shout .. My season 4 of Mister Ed (Which aired on CBS) is great but I just pulled it to watch and the Sound is degraded in Home Sweet Trailer

Shout has pretty much all of MGM's big post 1986 library which I would assume would also included the TV series from Filmways/Orion Pictures as well.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I have not been able to find anywhere to ask about this tv show so I will try here . Why is Yes, dear 2000-2006 not available in any form ? Its hideous on youtube . No one airs it to watch and no dvds other then a promo of 2 episodes on ebay . I think it's the funniest comedy of the last 20 years .

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

I also liked the show it was paired with on CBS, 2002-2006, Still Standing. I thought that show was hilarious as well. That one also is not available and doesn't air anywhere. I was just remembering it recently and wanting to see it again.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was just remembering it recently and wanting to see it again.

That's the frustration of wanting physical discs on one's shelf, instead of depending on TV/cable syndication or streaming platforms. There are a number of series that seem to have just disappeared because they just aren't seen as profitable to the studios. I've been keeping my eye out for a copy of the DVD set of VR.5. I suppose I'll just have to pull out my SVHS tapes and hope they still play.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
^^^

I also liked the show it was paired with on CBS, 2002-2006, Still Standing. I thought that show was hilarious as well. That one also is not available and doesn't air anywhere. I was just remembering it recently and wanting to see it again.
Yes me too . wow , I was going to list that one too . Nice !

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
well if we were to take into account redistribution (syndication packages and CBS All Access) in account along with anything I would think that Twilight Zone 80's version would need a good looking over, shot on film so it should look a hell of a lot better than it does, sort of like mud strained through pantyhose's on VHS. IMO, it's a better and closer representation of the classic original run of Twilight Zone, than the current iteration that is using that title, sure it throws in pop culture references and try's to pay homage, but pales in comparison.

Where as the 80's version was the twilight Zone... it would just be nice to see it presented that way, and hell they could go all out on it , much like the original, look at everyone who was associated with it, writers, directors, actors, it's a veritable who's who of , up and coming, and veterans who did justice to the spirit of the original, just my two cents.
Wouldn't the 1980s Twilight Zone (or at least some of the episodes) be in that group of "filmed on film, but edited on tape" series like Mission: Impossible '88 and Star Trek The Next Generation?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
While I think Gilligan's Island originally aired on CBS, the series is owned by WB. It might make a good project for the WAC.

In addition to being aired on CBS, it was produced by CBS (like The Wild Wild West, The Twilight Zone '59, Perry Mason and Gunsmoke). Why would/did they give it up? And also, wouldn't WB tack a WB logo at the end, which I've never seen?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The copyright to the show was to Gladysya Productions (Phil Silvers' company) and United Artists Television. I believe that UA's ownership share ended up with Warner after Ted Turner rescued MGM/UA from oblivion in 1986. I'm not quite clear on how that came to pass, since Turner sold the UA part of the catalog back to MGM/UA when they reorganized. But it does seem to be the case.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
They need to look back at the original 35mm masters for Mission: Impossible (1966 TV series) and Mannix, in terms of reinstating the original Paramount Television closing logos, such as...

as seen on:
Mission: Impossible S03 and Mannix S02

as seen on:
Mission: Impossible S4 E03 & E04 - "The Controllers" (parts I and II), aired 10/12/69 and 10/19/69
Mannix S3 E12 - "Missing: Sun and Sky," aired 12/20/69

~Ben

RocketRobz

Grip
Real Name
Rojelio Reyes
What's preventing Seasons 7-11 of Happy Days being released on DVD, as well as Seasons 6-12 of My Three Sons?
For Happy Days, it's probably music rights, but I don't know if that's the real reason.

A Blu-Ray (HD) release of The Brady Bunch would also be great, but as far as I know/heard, an HD release isn't possible because of lost 35mm prints for certain episodes.

Also, I agree with the others here that Gilligan's Island deserves an HD Blu-Ray release (maybe a 4K UHD (w/ HDR) release as well, if you want to go the extra mile).

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Oddly enough, I turn the color off on my tv when I watch the color episodes of Gilligan's Island. Works better for me as a black & white show.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
While I’d love to see any of these great shows released on Blu-ray , I still wonder how feasible it might be. At this point in time, I’d be happy to see CBS just resume it’s MOD program!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Speaking of what's owned by CBS, I think they need to cut a deal with the Warners to allow a DVD of The Little Rascals 1982-83 cartoon series to be released. That is, King World had the rights to The Little Rascals as a whole at the time the Hanna-Barbera cartoon series was made.

Here is episode 1 of 26 of season 1 that aired on September 25, 1982:

~Ben

Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The copyright to the show was to Gladysya Productions (Phil Silvers' company) and United Artists Television. I believe that UA's ownership share ended up with Warner after Ted Turner rescued MGM/UA from oblivion in 1986. I'm not quite clear on how that came to pass, since Turner sold the UA part of the catalog back to MGM/UA when they reorganized. But it does seem to be the case.
The only UATV show Turner kept when he sold back UA was "Gilligan's Island" (including BOTH Filmation animated series) - He held it back as it was THE BEST piece of the UA's TV library.

While for various reasons, he couldn't keep "Outer Limits", he did make sure he got long-term rights to air the series! (Those rights have since expired)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
A Blu-Ray (HD) release of The Brady Bunch would also be great, but as far as I know/heard, an HD release isn't possible because of lost 35mm prints for certain episodes.
I find it highly unlikely they lost 35mm prints of ANY of "The Brady Bunch" or anything from the Paramount Television Library. Site Source, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks