What's new

GOMER PYLE, USMC - The Complete Series (Coming to Blu-Ray on February 13, 2024) (3 Viewers)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Looks like CBS Paramount is releasing yet another complete series on bluray early next year. I would jump at this but I fear that the edited episodes will still be edited, particularly when Gomer visits the White House. Could they possibly surprise us with releasing it complete in this set? I am doubtful since they released the same edited episode in TAGS set that they released on the DVD set. So it doesn't bode well... but I guess, we'll see.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Likely after the set comes out. CBS tends to not say anything about these releases other than they are coming.

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
It looks like the title of this thread needs to be changed to
"GOMER PYLE, USMC - The Complete Series (Coming to Blu-Ray on February 13, 2024)".

As of today, Friday, December 15, 2023,
February 13, 2023 is already ten months and two days ago.

The only way that I would ever buy this upcoming CBS/Paramount Blu-Ray box set
is if all 150 episodes from this five seasons in length
CBS 1964-1969 situation comedy television series would finally get presented in uncut form.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I agree the likelihood is that CBS will use the same master as the DVDs, which means the same edited episodes and only a minor uptick in video quality (unless watching from a large screen). This isn't a high priority show for me, but it becomes tricky in that how will sales of this release impact other potential CBS releases down the road.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
It looks like the title of this thread needs to be changed to
"GOMER PYLE, USMC - The Complete Series (Coming to Blu-Ray on February 13, 2024)".

As of today, Friday, December 15, 2023,
February 13, 2023 is already ten months and two days ago.

The only way that I would ever buy this upcoming CBS/Paramount Blu-Ray box set
is if all 150 episodes from this five seasons in length
CBS 1964-1969 situation comedy television series would finally get presented in uncut form.
Doh! My mistake. It's the annual error of not realizing it will be a New Year. Sorry about that. Can a moderator make the edit? It will not allow me to change the title.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I agree the likelihood is that CBS will use the same master as the DVDs, which means the same edited episodes and only a minor uptick in video quality (unless watching from a large screen). This isn't a high priority show for me, but it becomes tricky in that how will sales of this release impact other potential CBS releases down the road.
Agreed! It's a disservice that CBS is doing to themselves because it will hurt sales. What's the use of wasting the cost of materials if they are just going to sit in dead stock. I'm sure SOMEONE will buy one, but it would sell much better if they were new transfers and in unedited form. But, hey, I know it's like talking to the air. These requests rarely, if ever, get noticed by anyone involved in a studio release.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Will wait to see if these are truly uncut. I might even cave in if they're "mostly" uncut, like 90% or more and port over the Jim Nabors episode intros from the dvd sets.
The major cuts were evident in the following episodes:

Gomer Untrains a Dog
Lou-Ann Poovie Sings Again
Gomer Says “Hey” to the President
(several minutes seem to have been cut)

There may be minor edits to other episodes as well. If someone in the episode even sang a line or two of a song, it may have been removed due to licensing rights of whatever song.

This happened with Laverne & Shirley too. In an episode where Richard Moll makes an appearance, you see him walk into the scene and but the scene fades to black pretty quickly. So they removed an entire chunk from that scene (dialogue and all) because of a song (I believe it was "Ebb Tide"). It destroyed the continuity of the episode on dvd because they had set up a joke earlier involving the electrical sunroof. It ends up cutting to the house all cleaned up. Very badly edited.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Would be nice if these were unedited, especially the music parts, but probably not. We'll see. Could a blu ray set of My Three Sons ever happen? Not sure since only the first 5 seasons got released on DVD MOD. But you never know.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Would be nice if these were unedited, especially the music parts, but probably not. We'll see. Could a blu ray set of My Three Sons ever happen? Not sure since only the first 5 seasons got released on DVD MOD. But you never know.
Not only were only 5 seasons of MTS released on DVD, but they were also old SD masters. There is no evidence they ever revisited the film elements to create HD masters for MTS, which makes it not impossible, but less likely.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
If they were uncut, if CBS had gone back and put everything in, you better believe they would be crowing about it. The tragedy is, 95% of the songs cut didn't need to be cut. They just did it as an overreaction for legal reasons. I won't buy this if they are still cut, but what an "impossible dream" if they turn out to be complete.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Do music rights ever have a date of expiration? These shows are 60 years old.
Yes. Standard US copyright length. In general, works published in the United States before 1924 are in the public domain. Works published after 1923, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. There are some fine points and minor exceptions.

CBS has tended to overreact on music copyright, often removing works *from their own library* for which *they* own the copyright. They seem to follow a "just remove it and there's no problem" approach to music copyright matters rather than performing due diligence and/or seeking a use/license agreement. The need for relicensing is typically caused due to TV series often using different licensing terms than movies, seeking to lower production fees and generally only worrying about original transmission, completely ignoring any future use (syndication, etc.). It doesn't help that many who own music publishing rights see huge dollar signs for relicensing their music in old TV series and often hold them for ransom (WKRP, for example), demanding high fees to relicense any music used.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Where's the source for this information? I haven't been able to confirm this release. Thanks.

Now I'm thinking I'm going to get it for season one. I can only imagine how gorgeous those B&W episodes are going to be--and that first season is stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks