What's new

Can't get surround sound system to work on tv channels (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here you go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-3-6-12-25-50FT-Toslink-Digital-Optical-Audio-Cable-Wire-S-PDIF-DTS-DOLBY-/261153342722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3ccdf3c502

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here you go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-3-6-12-25-50FT-Toslink-Digital-Optical-Audio-Cable-Wire-S-PDIF-DTS-DOLBY-/261153342722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3ccdf3c502

Reduno

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
schan1269 said:
I have another question though...Why not hook the DVR HDMI right into the LG?
Great question....tho I have no real answer other than the instructions that came with the LG had me do it thru the tv directly. I've also read some places where doing this may sometimes reduce the quality of sound but I can't prove that. Thx much for the quick help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well... Taking your STB to the TV and then toslink back to the LG nets you 2.0 sound. That is because there are very few TV out there that preserve the 5.1 from incoming HDMI...and I assure you...yours isn't one of them. It is possible the LG only accepts 2.0PCM on the HDMI input anyway...which renders "how you do it" a moot point. However your STB toslink out to the toslink on the LG works(while keeping HDMI to the TV...If using HDMI doesn't "kill" the toslink on the STB)...provided there are no video/audio lag problems.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just read the manual for this thing(you are lucky, I rarely litter my harddrive with HTiB manuals)... The incoming HDMI on this HTiB can't distinguish between itself and a connected TV, so audio is dumbed down to 2.0PCM(which is the No.1 reason you don't buy these things). Your only choice is the toslink off the STB into the LG and hope... 1. Your STB allows toslink and HDMI at the same time. 2. There is not audio/video lag.

Reduno

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
schan1269 said:
I just read the manual for this thing(you are lucky, I rarely litter my harddrive with HTiB manuals)... The incoming HDMI on this HTiB can't distinguish between itself and a connected TV, so audio is dumbed down to 2.0PCM(which is the No.1 reason you don't buy these things). Your only choice is the toslink off the STB into the LG and hope... 1. Your STB allows toslink and HDMI at the same time. 2. There is not audio/video lag.
Schan, I can't thank you enough for your time on this. You've saved me lots of keystrokes :) I'm pretty sure the toslink will work. My brother has the VERY SAME tv and and an older sounds system (tho not LG) than I do and that's how he works his. I'll try that when I have time to get the cable and let you know how it works. Again, I TRULY appreciate your time and selfishness on this!

Reduno

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Sorry, I meant SELFLESSNESS, not selfishness. Wow, long day. I didn't proof read. Really sorry. BTW, I called LG and they suggested the best way is to go with the optical outlets from the blu ray to the tv and then use the OPTICAL button on my remote. I could go from the dvr to the LG unit but besides the unit having to basically be on most/all of the time, I would likely NOT get 5.1 sound so I think it's easier to just buy the toslink and use that. thanks again.

Reduno

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
schan1269 said:
Just an update: Last night I called LG and got someone who was fairly experienced. He asked me to check the back of my tv to see if I have an OPTICAL spot. I do. He said that is the best way, via Toslink, to accomplish what I want to do. Further, the remote for the LG system (HTIB) actually has an OPTICAL button so all I have to do is press that and I'm good to go. He did say he's fairly certain I could go straight from the Cable Co dvr to the LG but I would likely lose quality, as you mention above. So I ordered cable last night and I'll be good to go soon.

wongrice

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I have the HT-E5500W/ZA, all i have connected is an HMDI cable. then you have to change the setting on the blu-ray player. the pic doesn't come up on the tv it comes up on the front of the player. you have to have everything hook'd up and then use the control to where it says matrix on the player. wait a couple seconds and it should kick in. i couldn't get my rear wireless speakers to work and thats what the rep told me to do. tv sounds great on it. give it a try. good luck, if you can't figure it out just call 1-800-samsung and talk to a rep and tell them exactly what u wanna do. when you go to change it you have to do it fast or it goes back to the start.

Reduno

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Reduno said:
Just an update: Last night I called LG and got someone who was fairly experienced. He asked me to check the back of my tv to see if I have an OPTICAL spot. I do. He said that is the best way, via Toslink, to accomplish what I want to do. Further, the remote for the LG system (HTIB) actually has an OPTICAL button so all I have to do is press that and I'm good to go. He did say he's fairly certain I could go straight from the Cable Co dvr to the LG but I would likely lose quality, as you mention above. So I ordered cable last night and I'll be good to go soon.
Last update: I received my cable, hooked it up and after a few issues, it works. I did have to call LG and unplug the system to set to factory settings since I think the system got confused with a new cable hooked up but it all works now. I have to give a big time shout out to the customer service folks at LG. Not only can I call them 24/7 toll free but teh 3-4 times I've called them in the last month I had ZERO wait time, got someone I could understand every time and all but one time did they solve my issue. I sure hope this all holds up. Thanks to everyone here, especially schan1269, for all your help.

Sharont3

Auditioning
Real Name
Sharon
Help I'm trying to get my new home theater system set up and can not get the audio from TV to come across the HTS. The TV is a Hisence 50k316dw 50" led 3d hdtv. The Home Theater System is a Samsung ht-e5500w. I also have Dish network from a dual receiver which is not in that room and the signal is received for it through a coax cable that I have hooked into the antenna jack on the TV. The other connections are hdmi 1 from the tv to hdmi in on the Samsung. Digital coax cable from the tv to a Radio shack converter box to the digital coax out and a tos link from the HTS optical in to the Converter box optical in. Still no audio from the tv on the HTS.

Sharont3

Auditioning
Real Name
Sharon
Yes i tried both the RAW and the PCM and still no sound when trying to view the TV Bluray works fine

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you have audio "on" in the TV, a coax->optical adapter, connected to the HTiB and you selected the Toslink input... Then something is defective. Have you tried something else ran off the TV? Have you tried the adapter on something else? Have you taken the HTiB to the room the STB is actually in and connected it right off the STB?

Sharont3

Auditioning
Real Name
Sharon
I will have to try those suggestions but i have a feeling it is a defect as i also thought it might be but wanted to make sure my connections seem logical for the setup

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Sharont3
Digital coax cable from the tv to a Radio shack converter box to the digital coax out and a tos link from the HTS optical in to the Converter box optical in. Still no audio from the tv on the HTS.
I'm not certain if all coaxial -> optical converters work "both ways" but from what you describe, perhaps you got an optical to coaxial converter, but are trying use it as a coaxial to optical converter?
If the signal is traveling FROM the television INTO the home theater system, the cable from the television's OUTPUT should connect to the INPUT on the converter, then the converter's OUTPUT goes to the home theater system's INPUT.

sandpit007in

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandeep
Hi,
I'm here as I believe its a right place to get my issue resolved, I have a Philips Home theater [HTD3510G] [http://www.philips.c...-drp4?t=support]
and My recently Purchased Reliance LED [Reconnect RELEG4203 FHD LED TV, 42 inch]
Connectivity

D-Sub Yes
RF (in) Antenna Cable Yes
Composite (AV) Yes - AV1, AV2
Component (Y/Pb/Pr) Yes
HDMI 3 (HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3)
PC Audio (Output) Yes
USB Yes
Headphone (out) Yes

And my Sky HD set top Box with 1 HDMI out, I want to connect all of them together, to use my DVD with surround as well my HD TV channels surround too, I can play a disc and get surround sound from my 5.1 audio output, but am unable to get the same sound from the surround speakers while watching HD TV channels, I need some guidance to connect them all properly and use my LED to watch and get HD display with the surround using my Philips home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks