What's new

Can't get surround sound system to work on tv channels (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
1) Bluray connected to Receiver via HDMI......................O.K. 2) TV connected to Dish via HDMI..................................??? 3) TV connected to Receiver via Digital Audio cable.......Remove this 4) Dish connected to Receiver via HDMI.........................O.K. but #2 says Dish to tv with HDMI. Does your Dish receiver have two HDMI outputs? 5) XBox connected to TV via HDMI..................................O.K. This way the receiver has to be on all the time but it will help to solve the issues. "The TV Input is setup HDMI 1 - Receiver, HDMI 2 - Home Theater, HDMI 3 - Computer when plugged in, R/W cables - XBox" Receiver to HDMI 1...............O.K. Home Theater to HDMI 2.......What is "Home Theater"? Dish? BluRay? ??? Computer to HDMI 3..............O.K. If you want to watch tv with the receiver off connect an optical cable and a set of component cables from the Dish receiver to the tv.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gene c said:
1) Bluray connected to Receiver via HDMI......................O.K. 2) TV connected to Dish via HDMI..................................??? 3) TV connected to Receiver via Digital Audio cable.......Remove this 4) Dish connected to Receiver via HDMI.........................O.K. but #2 says Dish to tv with HDMI. Does your Dish receiver have two HDMI outputs? 5) XBox connected to TV via HDMI..................................O.K. This way the receiver has to be on all the time but it will help to solve the issues. "The TV Input is setup HDMI 1 - Receiver, HDMI 2 - Home Theater, HDMI 3 - Computer when plugged in, R/W cables - XBox" Receiver to HDMI 1...............O.K. Home Theater to HDMI 2.......What is "Home Theater"? Dish? BluRay? ??? Computer to HDMI 3..............O.K. If you want to watch tv with the receiver off connect an optical cable and a set of component cables from the Dish receiver to the tv.
I'm as lost as you till he can say how he actually has it connected.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
KillerKat said:
The TV Input is setup HDMI 1 - Receiver, HDMI 2 - Home Theater, HDMI 3 - Computer when plugged in, R/W cables - XBox-
I'm not sure what this means, either, so let's simplify things and set it aside. Here's what you need to do - connect all of your SOURCES that support HDMI to the INPUTS on your receiver. Then run ONE HDMI cable from the receiver's HDMI OUTPUT to the first HDMI input on your TV. Set the TV to HDMI. Leave it there. If there's anything left over that only uses analog (red/white/yellow) cables, connect it directly to the TV and forget about the surround system. Your Yamaha supports audio pass-through, so even when it is "turned off' (really in stand-by mode) it will send audio whichever input it was set to last to the TV. So as long as you always switch to your Dish DVR before turning it off, you'll be able to just "watch TV" using the TV speakers without powering up the Yamaha. Abdul:
Can some one help me have the TV channels audio through the home theater.
Probably not. Your all-in-one "home theater", like most such devices, has few input and no HDMI inputs. It does have a single digital audio input. You might be able to get TV sound via this thing by running a digital cable from your TV's digital output to this input. But most TVs can only output digital audio from their own built-in tuners. They can't pass digital audio from an outside source like a cable DVR or set top box. Sorry, Joe

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Joseph DeMartino said:
I'm not sure what this means, either, so let's simplify things and set it aside. Here's what you need to do - connect all of your SOURCES that support HDMI to the INPUTS on your receiver. Then run ONE HDMI cable from the receiver's HDMI OUTPUT to the first HDMI input on your TV. Set the TV to HDMI. Leave it there. If there's anything left over that only uses analog (red/white/yellow) cables, connect it directly to the TV and forget about the surround system. Your Yamaha supports audio pass-through, so even when it is "turned off' (really in stand-by mode) it will send audio whichever input it was set to last to the TV. So as long as you always switch to your Dish DVR before turning it off, you'll be able to just "watch TV" using the TV speakers without powering up the Yamaha. Abdul: Probably not. Your all-in-one "home theater", like most such devices, has few input and no HDMI inputs. It does have a single digital audio input. You might be able to get TV sound via this thing by running a digital cable from your TV's digital output to this input. But most TVs can only output digital audio from their own built-in tuners. They can't pass digital audio from an outside source like a cable DVR or set top box. Sorry, Joe
Read the post. He has a Yamaha AVR...he is calling it a "home theater"...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
schan1269 said:
Read the post. He has a Yamaha AVR...he is calling it a "home theater"...
Read MY post. And the two I was replying to. :) 1. Karen (not a "he") has a Yamaha - however she lists BOTH a "receiver" and a "home theater" on different HDMI inputs in her connections list. I was addressing her in the part of my reply where I quoted her post. 2. I was quoting ADBUL (the post BEFORE Karen's) in the part of my post that begins, "Abdul:" 3. Abdul has an LG Blu Ray/Receiver/HTiB with no HDMI inputs and single digital input. Regards, Joe

KillerKat

Auditioning
Real Name
Karen McCubbin
Thanks to everyone for your advise. I apologize for my confusing terminalogy & posting within an existing thread. I am not that tech savy & don't use a lot of forums. This thread seemed like a logical place to me to post, since I was having a similar issue. I took Joseph's advise and plugged Dish, bluray & xbox into the Yamaha & the Yamaha out to the TV. I also took Gene's advise to unplug the Digital Audio cable. We can now hear the surround sound while watching tv!!! It is awesome. Thanks again. Kat

pskinner

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip Skinner
I just purchased a Samsung 5.1 Channel Blu-Ray Home Theater System and the speakers work perfectly when I'm playing a DVD through the Blu-Ray system; however, when I am watching TV on my Toshina television via a cable box, they don't function. I have a video cable running from the Video in on the TV to the video out on the system. I also have red and white cables running from my cable box to the system as instructed by the manual. I've tried everything I can think of...please help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What are the model numbers of the Sumsung and the Toshiba? The red and white cables only pass a stereo signal. Does your Samsung have an optical input? if so, you need to connect that to the cable box (if the cable box also has an optical output) instead of the red/white cables. If you don't have an optical connection on one of them you might be able to use the Dolby proLogic feature of the Samsung to turn the stereo signal into 5.1 but some of these htib's don't apply Dolby ProLogic to outside sources like cable/satellite boxes. One of the many reasons these htib's aren't very popular on these types of forums.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by pskinner
however, when I am watching TV on my Toshina television via a cable box, they don't function.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "don't function"? Do you get ANY sound at all? Are you only getting sound from the left/right speakers?
Are you remembering to change the source selection on the Samsung system to "Aux." or whatever input you have the cable box connected to when you want to watch TV?

JW32450

Auditioning
Real Name
JACK WAGONER
I NEED HELP ALSO WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE A SAMSUNG MODEL #: UN37C5000. SOFTWARE VERSION T-MSX5AUSC-2004.1 MY 5.1 SURROUND SOUND RECEIVER IS MARANTZ NR1403. I GET GREAT SOUND FROM DISH NET SATELITE AND BLUE RAY DVD BUT NO SOUND SOUND FROM LOCAL AIR STATIONS. I HAVE DIRECT HMCI FROM RECEIVER TO TV PLUS OPTIC AND AUDIO CABLES FROM RECEIVER TO TV. STILL NO SURROUND SOUND WHILE WATVHING REGULAR TV???? CAN ANYONE HELP ME IN SET-UP. I SWITCH TO EXTERNAL SPEAKERS ON MY MENU AND GET ZERO SOUND. JACK [email protected]

JW32450

Auditioning
Real Name
JACK WAGONER
I do not see any AVR setup??? What is AVR? Nothing listed in menu or tools as avr.

Reduno

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
You guys are amazing and so very helpful so I thought I'd chime in with my question. I have a VIZIO XVT3D474SV 47-Inch 3D HDTV. Had it hooked up for a year to just a DVR from the cable company, works fine. Just this week I bought an sound system LG BH9220BW and hooked it up using HDMI. It works well so far when watching a dvd/blu ray etc (even FM) but I'd like to use it when watching movies on tv, ie HBO. What do I need to do to accomplish that? If it helps, I have the dvr hooked via HDMI as well. I also have the LG system hooked thru HDMI port 1 so that when I switch input, it goes to the right place. thx much guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks