What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Avatar: The Way Of Water (4k UHD) (Digital) (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Will think on this one awhile and am in no hurry to buy it digitally then again on disc when there are many titles to add to the library that are on disc or scheduled to be released on disc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not optimistic for either
I agree. Home 3D is a niche market within a niche market. I think we'll continue to see the occasional title trickle out, but without new 3D panels being available at the consumer level, the market is only going to get smaller and smaller as time goes on.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There are a variety of reasons

First, I generally don't like going to the movie theater. It's the reason why I built my own. That feeling became even stronger after Covid. Not a fan of being in a small space with a lot of people.

The second reason was the running time. Just being stuck in a theater for three hours was just not appealing to me. And, that's not even counting the approx. 20 minutes of trailers and commercials. I could come late, but honestly, if I am going to see a film theatrically, I am going to want to see the trailers as well.

Some of you won't like my third reason. I saw Avatar in Hollywood, at its studio premier at the Chinese Theater. I have a signed ticket from James Cameron. It was a thrilling experience I'll never forget. However, I think I became burnt out on Avatar after seeing it multiple times. I know an incredible amount of talent went into these films, but for me, they come off as CGI cartoons. And the last thing I want to do is to insult the artistry within this film, but generally, these types of films are more about the visuals than the storyline. Yes, it's unfair for me to judge a film I have yet to see, but that's the impression I had after seeing the first.

And, yes, as someone who loves 3D, this is a film I should have made an exception for -- to view it on an IMAX screen at the proper frame rate. Shame on me for not doing it. And part of me regrets not doing it. It's still playing locally, though not in IMAX.

I have become so accustomed to watching all my entertainment on physical media or streaming in the privacy of my own theater where I can enjoy a remarkable projected 3D experience complete with Dolby Atmos and bass shaker reclining chairs. It's where I feel safe and most comfortable.
I am of a similar mind, Ron. We don't go to the movie theater anymore -- and we stopped going before the pandemic. I would rather watch films at home. There are no people talking or texting, no advertisements or trailers to sit through, and I can pause the film to use the bathroom or get something to drink. Plus, it's less expensive. I think the last time I was in a movie theater was September, 2019 to see Lawrence of Arabia -- it was a Fathom event and I had never seen it on a big screen. It was just me and two other people in the theater, too.

As for Avatar, we did see the original at the theater in 3D, and while the effects were okay, I just was not enamored with the film itself.

If the sequel comes to Disney+, we'll probably watch it there, but I don't feel a big need to see it anytime soon.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's why I think the odds are better than even that we may see a BD 3D release:
  • Cameron has A LOT of pull with Hollywood; generally, he says jump and they say how high;
  • Cameron has been able to get 3D releases done in the recent past [T2: 3D], even on films he only produced [Alita: Battle Angel];
  • There has been an uptick in theatrical 3D releases [Scream VI 3D? Didn't see that one coming]; and
  • Cameron wants as many people as possible to see this in 3D, if not in 3D HFR

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I've only been to the movies 4 times since COVID hit: No Time To Die, the last Jurassic Park film, Top Gun Maverick and Avatar 2. Actually, I went a 5th time but it was a spur-of-the-moment thing. At first it was pandemic fear but now there's just nothing worth venturing out for. I purchased an OLED TV last year and had it professionally calibrated (it cost me $500). I used to love the camarederie of sharing an epic popcorn flick with a big audience, and I still do, but the magic is mostly gone IMO.

I'll pick up a copy of Avatar 2 eventually but am in no rush. I'd rather have any of Cameron's other titles still MIA on Blu let alone 4K over this. I'm beginning to think JC is actually physical media-phobic. Ever notice how the majority of his films mostly exist only on DVD?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here's why I think the odds are better than even that we may see a BD 3D release:
  • Cameron has A LOT of pull with Hollywood; generally, he says jump and they say how high;
  • Cameron has been able to get 3D releases done in the recent past [T2: 3D], even on films he only produced [Alita: Battle Angel];
  • There has been an uptick in theatrical 3D releases [Scream VI 3D? Didn't see that one coming]; and
  • Cameron wants as many people as possible to see this in 3D, if not in 3D HFR

Yeah, I think it’s most likely it won’t have its own SKU but would be included with the 4K package - Alita: Battle Angel is the comparison I think most likely.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I went to a public screening for the first time since I saw "No Time To Die" the other day to see "Creed III." It was a discount matinee and two tickets were $26. On top of that I bought concessions and paid for parking. I intentionally chose seats that wouldn't be near anyone and I was hoping for a small turnout. So much for the "communal experience." There was one other person in the balcony, about 20-30 feet away from us, yet I could still see their cellphone. What lengths do I have to go to to avoid this annoyance? I used to swear by the theatrical experience, but I'm not missing it anymore. As others have said, I can stay home and enjoy films on my setup. I never thought I'd be that guy. COVID has changed my priorities.

I'm sort of interested in Avatar 2 I guess. I saw the first one twice in 2009 but haven't revisited it. This new one is the first Cameron film I haven't seen in the theater. Maybe I'll watch both when this one is available at home.

BaronVH

Auditioning
Real Name
John CH
I went to a public screening for the first time since I saw "No Time To Die" the other day to see "Creed III." It was a discount matinee and two tickets were $26. On top of that I bought concessions and paid for parking. I intentionally chose seats that wouldn't be near anyone and I was hoping for a small turnout. So much for the "communal experience." There was one other person in the balcony, about 20-30 feet away from us, yet I could still see their cellphone. What lengths do I have to go to to avoid this annoyance? I used to swear by the theatrical experience, but I'm not missing it anymore. As others have said, I can stay home and enjoy films on my setup. I never thought I'd be that guy. COVID has changed my priorities.

I'm sort of interested in Avatar 2 I guess. I saw the first one twice in 2009 but haven't revisited it. This new one is the first Cameron film I haven't seen in the theater. Maybe I'll watch both when this one is available at home.
You just need to go to an Alamo Drafthouse. They will kick that fool out.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully we eventually get The Abyss 3D and True Lies 3D from Cameron ( I personally think both would look amazing in that format) and some niche manufacturer, i.e. like Proton back in the day, to produce a new 3D TV set.

Can't imagine Cameron will go back and redo any more of his old movies 3D.

That would've made some theoretical sense like 10 years ago but not now.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Home 3D is a niche market within a niche market. I think we'll continue to see the occasional title trickle out, but without new 3D panels being available at the consumer level, the market is only going to get smaller and smaller as time goes on.

There could still theoretically be moves redone as 3D for theatrical distribution... but it's not cheap and that ship seems to have sailed.

Not sure what the last "old" 3D movie that got a conversion was. Really seemed limited to heavy hitters like "Titanic" and "Jurassic Park" and "Wizard of Oz" and some big Disney movies - it's not like there was an enormous trend of non-3D movies that received conversion.

"Abyss" and "True Lies" aren't heavy hitters.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
“Jaws” was re-released in 3D this summer. I think the last theatrical release of a newly converted catalog title before that was T2.

Crud - I'm a dope. I saw "Jaws" 3D and totally blanked!

Anyway, it's the proverbial exception that proves the rule.

And "Jaws" is a much more prominent/famous movie than "Abyss" and "True Lies"! :)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Can't imagine Cameron will go back and redo any more of his old movies 3D.

That would've made some theoretical sense like 10 years ago but not now.
Technology has much improved over 10years. See new Titanic. When he does a 4K master for them I don’t see why he, as a 3D enthusiast, wouldn’t. Especially The Abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks