What's new

Buying online. Good or bad? (1 Viewer)

brandon_

Agent
You always see good, sometimes great deals online. Many of these deals are from online retailers or out of state stores in my case (Boise, ID). I have purchased smaller items such as DVD players and receivers, but never a TV. I would like to, but it makes me a bit nervous. What are your thoughts on reputable online retailers and what do you do about warranty if you buy online?

Thanks

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
These days I buy a lot of things online, from toothpaste to automobile. For me the the convenience of buying online is overwhelming. You can do the research at your pace, then make the purchase directly at home in front of the computer without haggling with the salesperson.

If you are concerned with the warranty, you should always buy from Authorized online resellers. Most electronics manufacturers do not honor warranty unless purchased from authorized reseller.

A couple of things about warranties.

First is the shipping damage. Shipping damage do occur more often that you would imagine, thanks to the great service from UPS. You want to make sure that the store has good policy regarding this. Some will not bother and will just send you off to the manufacturer. Some will send the replacement for free. Some will charge shipping for both ways.

The second issue is the validity of the warranty. If you are the type that MUST have the manufacturer's warranty, then be absolutely sure you buy from the authorized dealer. If you rather prefer 20% off the price in exchange for the lack of the warranty, then you have more options. You can also get 3rd party warranty if you want. Generally the discount you get buying from online retailer will be sufficient to cover the cost of 3rd party warranty. Personally, I have never ever had any non-mechanical home electronics broken down serviced with warranty before, and I'm not too hung up with the warranty.

There isn't a "be-all" online reseller. H/K has their own reseller arm, Sony has a handful, Onkyo has several resellers, Denon has a couple, and Yamaha do not sell their high end products online.

There is a risk buying online. If you do your research, the risk / reward will be to your favor. Good luck.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
www.resellerratings.com is a good place to check out online vendors. Be aware that, for whatever reason, there are a lot of shady joints in NY state.

Also, if you have a place or two in mind, you can always ask here and at other forums too. :)

Most of the gear I buy I get online. I try to buy local when I can, and I don't even expect as good a price, but I do want some kind of discount.

Stupid recent example that is a good example. I wanted to get a 37pwd8uk Panasonic plasma locally. I would have had to wait 4 - 6 weeks, and I would have had to go pick it up. They quoted me a total price $300 over a reputable online price. So I subtract sales tax about $150, and I figure I'll ask them to split the difference, for a simple $75 off. They wouldn't do it. Fine, I save $300 and I get it delivered to my house in 1 week instead of a month later. *This* is why brick and morter places sometimes don't survive.

brandon_

Agent
any one use tvauthority.com? they have a JVC hd52g886 for 1875.00. i can get it here locally for about 2300. the savings would be good.

James Wis

Auditioning
I bought my projector from them.(great service and price on my Infocus 4805)
I beleive they advertise on this forum :)
I would buy from them again,no problem.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I bought my previous display online. A giant 60" CRT RP. It went well, so I also purchased my current display online, so far so good.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 30 inch sony tube, heavy as crap...and the JandR.com worked like a charm. Highly recommend them.

brandon_

Agent
Some of the TVs (JVC hd52g886) I have been looking at have some issues that make me a little nervous. This is probably a little ignorant, but in dealing with warranties from online retailers, how would one go about receiving service repairs? Also, if I go with an extended warranty, does that cover the TV in any state/city? I ask this because im not sure if you have to use a specific service department. Basically, I don’t want to pay for something im getting screwed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks