What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Humm said:
Does anyone know which version of "Gypsy" will be on blu-ray? I believe the VHS and subsequent DVD actually dropped a number or two, although I cannot remember off-hand which ones. I am hoping that what we will see is the complete film as originally screened. Also, speaking of Ros Russell, I hope someone somewhere has "Auntie Mame" in their sites for a blu-ray release.
As MattH states above, the theatrical release of Gypsy is exactly what is on the DVD - the cut musical numbers were NEVER a part of any theatrical showing, save for early previews, after which, they were cut.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/325209/breaking-news-warner-archive-collection-announces-first-blu-ray-releases/120#post_4003603
As MattH states above, the theatrical release of Gypsy is exactly what is on the DVD - the cut musical numbers were NEVER a part of any theatrical showing, save for early previews, after which, they were cut.
I wonder if the beginning to "Together" with Roz's solo exists anywhere, on the DVD the song just starts up in the middle, but on the CD she sings the first time through

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Danny Burk said:
Agreed! I've not bought many titles from WA up till now since I record most of them from TCM, but blu-ray versions will change that completely. There are loads of films, silents up through the '40s, that I'd happily buy in blu.
Unless, of course, TCM starts to actually broadcast in true, native HD (not upconverted HD that it is presently offering). But Warner will probably milk as much money out of the Blu-rays first before letting TCM show them in HD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finshed Gypsy tonight, and it is simply stunning. Black levels might have been a shade darker, but that's the only complaint I have with the transfer, and it's a very small complaint. I haven't watched Deathtrap yet, but if the other Archive Blu-rays are as good as Gypsy, Warners is going to have one satisfied customer in me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Deathtrap last night.(How's that for a Christmas night diversion?) I thought it looked beautiful with rich color and a sharp picture. I can happily get rid of that open matte DVD that's been unhappily occupying space on my shelf for far too long.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yeah other than WB's replacing the original WB logo with a new one I enjoyed the Deathtrap Blu a lot. It looks really good IMO. This was my second time watching it and the performances are a lot of fun. The cover art insert doesn't look at bootlegish as previous WB Archive DVDs i've purchased. Just wish they could use better print jobs. after all all they really have to do is to have mass surplus of them ran?

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
rsmithjr said:
Does anyone know for a fact that Gypsy had either 4-track mag 35mm or 6-track mag 70mm prints originally? At the time of release, my friends and I could not find any evidence that it had. We all recalled the marvelous work just a few months earlier on The Music Man (also photographed in Technirama), but nothing about Gypsy surfaced. The stereo sound on the DVD is actually not bad, so I would like to have it again on the Blu-ray (which I have already ordered).
IMDB claims it was released in 70mm 6-track and 35mm 4-track, but I also find no evidence of either. Gypsy was released in 1962. We know it was shot in Technirama (horizontal 35mm). My records show that the first 35mm to 70mm blowup was Bye, Bye Birdie in 1963, followed by The Cardinal, however there are also doubts as to whether Bye, Bye Birdie was ever released in 70mm in the United States. Michael Coate, who has done extensive research in this regard, can find no evidence that Bye, Bye Birdie played in 70mm and if it did, NYC did not get a print, which would have been highly unusual. Even Carr & Hayes (although frequently wrong) doesn't indicate either stereo or 70mm release for Gypsy. However, even if it was never released in stereo, it doesn't mean that the original audio mag tracks weren't recorded in stereo (at least 2-channel). Of course if they no longer exist, they can't be used.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
kevin_y said:
Unless, of course, TCM starts to actually broadcast in true, native HD (not upconverted HD that it is presently offering). But Warner will probably milk as much money out of the Blu-rays first before letting TCM show them in HD.
My cable company, RCN, finally started offering TCM in HD about a week ago and I was very excited. And then I looked at it and was very disappointed because it looks only very slightly better than the SD version does. Some of the 1.33 black and white films actually look pretty good, but most of it looks horrible, no better for wide-screen films than having my TV blow up the SD version to the full screen width. It's really too bad because I do appreciate that they show almost everything in original AR and that there's no commercials. I realize that since this is not an ad-driven station, Turner/Time-Warner probably doesn't make very much from this channel, but it's really a shame that this isn't true HD. Since Turner/WB owns most of the films that they show, this wouldn't be very costly for them as they probably already have HD versions of many of these films. Truth is that I wouldn't mind if they added commercials in-between the movies (but not during the movies) in return for broadcasting in true HD.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
zoetmb said:
My cable company, RCN, finally started offering TCM in HD about a week ago and I was very excited. And then I looked at it and was very disappointed because it looks only very slightly better than the SD version does. Some of the 1.33 black and white films actually look pretty good, but most of it looks horrible, no better for wide-screen films than having my TV blow up the SD version to the full screen width. It's really too bad because I do appreciate that they show almost everything in original AR and that there's no commercials. I realize that since this is not an ad-driven station, Turner/Time-Warner probably doesn't make very much from this channel, but it's really a shame that this isn't true HD. Since Turner/WB owns most of the films that they show, this wouldn't be very costly for them as they probably already have HD versions of many of these films. Truth is that I wouldn't mind if they added commercials in-between the movies (but not during the movies) in return for broadcasting in true HD.
I've just gone 15 rounds with someone at Blu-ray.com. He swore to me up and down that he had seen TRUE HD on TCM on satellite a couple of occasions. "Citizen Kane" was what he saw, some time in June last year I believe. Can anyone corroborate? I've always seen only upconverted HD on TCM. Even a TCM rep has said on the TCM forum that only upconverted HD has ever been shown.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
kevin_y said:
I've just gone 15 rounds with someone at Blu-ray.com. He swore to me up and down that he had seen TRUE HD on TCM on satellite a couple of occasions
I've seen true HD on TCM once or twice - there was a showing of Gladiator that was most definitely HD and another title that I can't remember, but it's exceedingly rare. 99.99% of their offerings are upconverts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by kevin_y
I've just gone 15 rounds with someone at Blu-ray.com. He swore to me up and down that he had seen TRUE HD on TCM on satellite a couple of occasions. "Citizen Kane" was what he saw, some time in June last year I believe. Can anyone corroborate? I've always seen only upconverted HD on TCM. Even a TCM rep has said on the TCM forum that only upconverted HD has ever been shown.
Some people have insisted on such showings, but the direct quotes I read from TCM executives is that they're unable to broadcast in True HD at this time. Hopefully, that will change one day soon.
Crawdaddy

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
Some people have insisted on such showings, but the direct quotes I read from TCM executives is that they're unable to broadcast in True HD at this time.  Hopefully, that will change one day soon. Crawdaddy
I know I've asked this before, but were these quotes to you personally, or are they out here somewhere on the internet. The last quote I was able to find (other than repeats of the same statement) was a couple of years old - which is ancient in technology terms. I'm not doubting your word, only wondering if things have changed. (and I don't buy the argument that there would have been formal announcements if things had changed, so since there wasn't an announcement, it must not have) David

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by David Weicker
I know I've asked this before, but were these quotes to you personally, or are they out here somewhere on the internet. The last quote I was able to find (other than repeats of the same statement) was a couple of years old - which is ancient in technology terms.
I'm not doubting your word, only wondering if things have changed. (and I don't buy the argument that there would have been formal announcements if things had changed, so since there wasn't an announcement, it must not have)
David
Then that's where you and I differ as I think TCM would make a big deal if they upgraded their technology to broadcast in true HD. Anyhow, people believe and see what they want to.
Crawdaddy

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Last year TCM showed "Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein" and the picture was beautiful. I hurriedly put on my best DVD copy, which was then upscaled, and the picture looked nothing like what was being aired. TCM's looked as though it was a BD. Of course, many months later the actual BD of the movie came out. Could TCM have aired the BD they had finally released?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I believe that TCM lacks HD masters of most titles, and therefore is upscaling most things, but there would be no technical reason they wouldn't pass along full HD masters when they have them to air. I read their comments as that they mostly don't have full HD to show on the channel most of the time.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I share the frustration over lack of true HD on TCM, especially since TCM in France does show films in true HD: http://tcmcinema.fr/tcm-en-haute-definition/

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Erik_H said:
I share the frustration over lack of true HD on TCM, especially since TCM in France does show films in true HD: http://tcmcinema.fr/tcm-en-haute-definition/
Yes but the upscale TCM looks much better than what you see in SD. As a Verizon Fios customer, the one thing I have asked them for is TCM HD. So far no luck. In recent months Fios has added BBC America HD and Cartoon Network HD so I guess there is always hope. The strange thing about Fios is when they add HD channels there is no announcement, they are just there. So every month I check to see if TCM HD has joined the line up.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I've thought some of the things I've seen on TCM might actually be HD. But maybe I'm not good at telling the difference between HD and upscale. This may be a stupid question, but is there any way, on the user end, to physically measure whether what is being broadcast is actual HD content vs. upconvert? More bits? More variety in bits?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks