What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand what the fuss is about whether TCM broadcast in true HD or not. If you like what you see when you watch TCM HD are you going to like it less because you are told its not true HD. By the same token if you dislike the picture quality are you going to like it more if you are told it is true HD? Its all perception and how the picture looks to you. Also how a film looks is going to depend on how good the the film elements are. For example from the Warner Archive streaming I saw the film Red Headed Woman which looked kind of soft to me while Midnight Mary and the Mask of Fu Manchu looked great. All were remastered in HD .

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Keith Cobby said:
Looking at my Blu-ray wish list, The Narrow Margin is getting ever closer to the top. Does anyone know if this is in prospect. It would make a great double with Armored Car Robbery.
Or it could be paired with the Gene Hackman remake, Narrow Margin -- unless they're held by different companies. I don't know. I have them together in one case.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I don't know whether Warners are distributing UA films, but another one on my list that would make a great Blu-ray is the jungle adventure Run for the Sun starring Richard Widmark, Trevor Howard and Jane Greer (a long time favourite of mine).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Keith Cobby
I don't know whether Warners are distributing UA films, but another one on my list that would make a great Blu-ray is the jungle adventure Run for the Sun starring Richard Widmark, Trevor Howard and Jane Greer (a long time favourite of mine).
The vast majority of UA titles - including Run for the Sun - are currently owned by MGM.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wasn't Warner going to release Blu-ray's two per month in the Archive series? So far, only one has been announced since GYPSY and DEATHRAP.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Dick said:
Wasn't Warner going to release Blu-ray's two per month in the Archive series? So far, only one has been announced since GYPSY and DEATHRAP.
I guess the announcement was just a tad ambitious. I eagerly wait for more Blu-ray titles like Gypsy from the Archive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Dick
There's been one more title, The Hudsucker Proxy.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
We're still waiting on FEARLESS, which was already announced as one of the two introductory titles. I ordered THE HUDSUCKER PROXY the day it went on sale.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If Gypsy and Deathtrap didn't sell, then try other genres: a comedy like The Great Race; sci-fi like The Time Machine, fantasy like The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, a war drama, a western, a Bette Davis or a Joan Crawford. In other words, throw things against the wall and see what sticks.
And remember that this is the Archives and things aren't meant to be big sellers initially but to be around for the long haul.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
My guess is that THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1981), announced last year for Blu and floating around without a street date ever since, will go this route.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by MattH.
If Gypsy and Deathtrap didn't sell, then try other genres: a comedy like The Great Race; sci-fi like The Time Machine, fantasy like The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, a war drama, a western, a Bette Davis or a Joan Crawford. In other words, throw things against the wall and see what sticks.
And remember that this is the Archives and things aren't meant to be big sellers initially but to be around for the long haul.
I would buy any of the titles you listed, all of which are worthy for release on Blu-ray.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
If Gypsy and Deathtrap didn't sell, then try other genres: a comedy like The Great Race; sci-fi like The Time Machine, fantasy like The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, a war drama, a western, a Bette Davis or a Joan Crawford. In other words, throw things against the wall and see what sticks.  And remember that this is the Archives and things aren't meant to be big sellers initially but to be around for the long haul.
Any sort of an image upgrade for the atrocious-looking DR. LAO DVD would be welcome. As I said earlier in this thread, I have a ton of snapper-case WB DVDs that are just begging for an upgrade.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
MattH. said:
If Gypsy and Deathtrap didn't sell, then try other genres: a comedy like The Great Race; sci-fi like The Time Machine, fantasy like The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, a war drama, a western, a Bette Davis or a Joan Crawford. In other words, throw things against the wall and see what sticks.  And remember that this is the Archives and things aren't meant to be big sellers initially but to be around for the long haul.
Agreed. I have little to no interest in the titles announced thus far, but great interest in seeing certain Warner owned properties on Blu-Ray. It would be disappointing to see them give up if these initial releases didn't meet expectations.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
There are so many films deserving of a Blu-ray release and we each have our favourites. I suspect that in the long term the Warner Archive will be the only place to buy catalogue titles on Blu-ray. I also have no interest in the few titles released so far but there are many others I would buy. I think Warners should look to do something similar to the recent Fox initiative. It generated a lot of interest around the titles they short-listed and also enabled Fox to ascertain the strength of interest in other genres/titles through their suggestion box.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Keith Cobby
There are so many films deserving of a Blu-ray release and we each have our favourites. I suspect that in the long term the Warner Archive will be the only place to buy catalogue titles on Blu-ray.
I also have no interest in the few titles released so far but there are many others I would buy. I think Warners should look to do something similar to the recent Fox initiative. It generated a lot of interest around the titles they short-listed and also enabled Fox to ascertain the strength of interest in other genres/titles through their suggestion box.
Warner has a pretty good idea what titles are in demand as they read this forum every day.
By the way, Gypsy, Deathtrap and The Hudsucker Proxy has their share of fans too. Personally, I bought Gypsy and The Hudsucker Proxy.
Crawdaddy

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Robert Crawford said:
Warner has a pretty good idea what titles are in demand as they read this forum every day. By the way, Gypsy, Deathtrap and The Hudsucker Proxy has their share of fans too.  Personally, I bought Gypsy and The Hudsucker Proxy. Crawdaddy
I'm sure this is the case, and I don't begrudge anyone their chance to own any of the three titles they have released. It's just a bit disappointing for some of us to see the promise of a Blu-Ray program from Warner Archives effectively stall out, in view of the halting exploration of HD releases of catalog titles from it's parent company. The frustration aimed at Warner from Blu-Ray fans may seem disproportionate in comparison to other studios, but the simple fact is that Warner owns a disproportionate number of great films, RKO and vintage MGM in addition to their own estimable catalog. Everyone has their list of personal favorites they'd like to see in HD, and Warner most likely controls a larger number of the unchecked boxes on these lists than anyone else. I certainly hope they continue to expand their efforts in classics on Blu-Ray. If they do manage to (finally) get this archive Blu program off the ground maybe we can see some titles by Ford, Hawks, Walsh, Tourneur, Lang or DeToth. Or some more Errol Flynn movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks