What's new

Booth Bijou Garage Theater (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' and 'Mary Poppins Returns' movie night is this weekend. Cathy and I still haven't seen Spider-Verse, the 4K Blu was a blind buy. We are really looking forward to seeing a movie for the very first time in our own "theater". That doesn't happen all that often.

I think our next showing will include 'First Man'. But, otherwise, there isn't much new coming out in the near future. The Booth Bijou's management will likely decide to show some classic films in the coming weeks.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We are showing 'Arctic' as our B-movie and 'The Wife' as the main attraction on Sunday (tomorrow). This one didn't "sell out" but not because of the film choices. We just happened to pick a day when a lot of our friends already had other plans.

We'll have 14 guests, a nice sized group that will allow everyone to have a bit more legroom.

Not sure what we'll be showing next. There's a dearth of A-list films being released on Blu-ray lately. I'll probably end up picking a couple of older films to show. Maybe a baseball theme with one film being the 4K version of 'Field of Dreams'.

If we build it, will they come? ;)

Mark

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just so you know, “The Wife” is a real downer of a movie. Good, just grim.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We saw 'The Wife' when it played in theaters. Last night, our guests applauded the film when it was over.

Another film that is on our coming attractions list for the Booth Bijou: Apollo 11

Mark

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Hello Mark sorry for the delay in responses Going to school and totally overloaded with homework. I love your theater and the way you share. You are beautiful people who are doing the best things for both your friends and for the movie industry. Thanks for being so kind
and sharing. I will be back more often when school is done.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We decided to pair 'Field of Dreams' with 'Taken' for an older film combo that celebrates Father's Day month. One a father/son relationship film, the other a father/daughter relationship film.

Coming to the Booth Bijou Garage Theater next week. It's already "sold out".

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We showed 'Apollo 11' & 'Apollo 13' on Saturday. Next week we are showing 'Shazam' & 'Superman: The Movie'.

I liked 'Shazam' (watched it for the first time last night) but it's a popcorn flick with B-movie qualities. 1978's Superman (the new 4K release) will make for a stronger main feature.

Mark

Reactions: PMF

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
We showed 'Apollo 11' & 'Apollo 13' on Saturday. Next week we are showing 'Shazam' & 'Superman: The Movie'.

I liked 'Shazam' (watched it for the first time last night) but it's a popcorn flick with B-movie qualities. 1978's Superman (the new 4K release) will make for a stronger main feature.

Mark

The 1978 Superman will always be one of my favorites. Coincidentally, just this past Sunday I had a friend/co-worker over to see Superman in the home theater. He is quite a bit younger than I and had never seen it, so I was pleased to be able to offer it to him projected in the dark on a 110" screen with a multi-channel sound system, so that he wasn't seeing for the first time on TV, so to speak. I was quite gratified that he loved it. He made an astute comment, he said, "It seems like the new super hero movies are much more smash-crash-thrash; I liked the slower pace of this one, so you could catch your breath in between action scenes and get to know the characters."

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our Garage Theater screen is also 110" (it's a 120" screen but I raise it up so it's in a 16:9 configuration). And that's what I love about the garage, in the middle of the day we can make it darker than our living room.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our guests enjoyed both 'Shazam' and 'Superman: The Movie'. We haven't announced the next movie night (yet) but two films we'll be showing in the next month or so are 'Long Shot' and 'Rocketman'.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We're showing 'Music & Lyrics' as our B-movie this weekend. Our feature presentation will be 'Long Shot'.

'Rocketman' will have to wait for a future movie night.

Unfortunately, the weather is supposed to warm up this weekend with increased humidity. The Garage Theater might get slightly uncomfortable. Our portable A/C will keep the temp at or below 78 degrees (plus we have two upright fans) but the humidity might make it feel a bit warmer.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The Booth Bijou has been on hiatus since Aug 31. I've been busy with other stuff and it's just been too darn hot. We expect to get the Garage Theater fired up for the Fall season starting in the middle of October.

In non home theater news... For the last several movie nights, I've been performing a magic effect (or two) before the main feature. That's been going over well enough that our friends started requesting that I perform an effect. Fun.

I've also been performing for my magic club since my interest in magic was reinvigorated at the end of last year. I guess I've done okay with those performances because I was quite surprised to be awarded this at a recent annual membership meeting.

i-LvC6nSz.jpg

So many hobbies, so little time. :)

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congratulations, Mark! :thumbsup:

I think it must be great fun to throw in some magic at the your home theater events. I know I'd love it--I love magic (especially sleight-of-hand).

Does anyone from the magic club ever take in a show at the Booth Theater? If so, I'm envisioningthe two of you conspiring to get someone cut in half or to have them disappear from a box! :laugh:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mike. Yes, one of my magician friends and his wife often attend our movie nights. We've already discussed working together to really fool the rest of the crowd. But, so far, we haven't put anything together. He did perform a couple of effects (independently) at our Aug 31 movie night. He's a professional magician (how he makes his living) so he's a bit more experienced than me.

Mark

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Congratulations from me too!
Nice to see you enjoying entertaining your guests.Post some pics for us next time you do some magic before the show.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The Booth Bijou has been on hiatus since Aug 31. I've been busy with other stuff and it's just been too darn hot. We expect to get the Garage Theater fired up for the Fall season starting in the middle of October.

In non home theater news... For the last several movie nights, I've been performing a magic effect (or two) before the main feature. That's been going over well enough that our friends started requesting that I perform an effect. Fun.

I've also been performing for my magic club since my interest in magic was reinvigorated at the end of last year. I guess I've done okay with those performances because I was quite surprised to be awarded this at a recent annual membership meeting.

i-LvC6nSz.jpg

So many hobbies, so little time. :)

Mark
Congrats Mark. I keep running into other magicians on this board.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
In about 10 days, we're finally firing up the Booth Bijou Garage Theater for Fall season. This afternoon we announced our two films, 'Yesterday' & 'Rocketman'. It's only been about an hour and 14 of 20 spaces are already taken. This one will be a "sell out".

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks