What's new

Hello, My Name is Doris (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Check out the excellent Rotten Tomatoes scores
for this delightful comedy/drama! Sally Field steps up to the plate and hits a home run playing a sixty-something spinster who has the hots for a much younger man. This film will make you burst with laughter as Field's character puts herself in one amazingly uncomfortable and funny situation after another.

A truly fabulous film that is getting far too little play on a limited number of screens (we caught it in a local art house cinema). The Booth Bijou gives 'Hello, My Name is Doris' 5 out of 5 stars. I WILL by buying this on Blu-ray so we can show it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater!

If Field doesn't get an Oscar nomination for this film, something is seriously wrong with the Oscar voting system!

Mark

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Would it even qualify for the 2016 Oscars since it played the festival circuits in 2015?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Would it even qualify for the 2016 Oscars since it played the festival circuits in 2015?
Yes, it would be based on when it's theatrical release began and not film festivals, etc. It's sorta like how they frequently open Oscar hopefuls in New York City and Los Angeles at the end of December and then go wide in January so they can make the end of the year deadline.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The wife and I saw this today and we enjoyed it as well. It's not a classic IMO, but a very pleasant and pretty funny way to spend 95 or so minutes. All the characters are appealing, as you note the situations, especially her fantasies, hit home, and Field is excellent.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, it would be based on when it's theatrical release began and not film festivals, etc. It's sorta like how they frequently open Oscar hopefuls in New York City and Los Angeles at the end of December and then go wide in January so they can make the end of the year deadline.
An extreme example of this was when Charles Chaplin's LIMELIGHT (1952) qualified for Academy Award nomination 20 years after it had barely been released in the U.S, by dint of having not previously ran in Los Angeles!

CHEERS! :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I ordered this from B&N today (40% sale & 20% coupon) and it already shipped. 'Doris' will be here on Thursday.

I'm really surprised that there aren't any more reviews here yet! Excellent film! We'll be showing it in the Booth Bijou in July.

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I watched this film this weekend.

Thumbs up from us. Great cast. Good performances from Fields, Max Greenfeld, Tyne Daly and the rest.

A nice character study...which seems to be right in Field's wheelhouse (Sybil, anyone?!?)

Quirky, oddball...but cute and fun. Certainly an original character and original story.

Nice depth to Doris. Flawed, certainly, but not in any kind of mean-spirited way.

Glad I took a chance on it.

When we agreed to watch a movie, I handed the disc box to my wife (who had never even heard of it before) if she was willing to take a chance on it. We did and we're both glad about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning, I noticed that iTunes was selling the HD Digital for $4.99 so I bought it. I hope to watch it later this week as a blind buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks