What's new

Boomtown - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Got in my viewing of the Boomtown series opener. It was impressive almost as much because it felt like a middle run episode of an established series. There was some character setting exposition, but it seemed to flow very naturally.

I don't know if this is going to be a standard story format, but it was less about the mystery behind the crime and more about the characters (which I really enjoyed). I liked all the characters for the most part, and the only one that I was indifferent about was the paramedic, because she didn't really have anything to do in the story.

The flashback/rewind sequences were a bit gimmicky, but I suppose were used to emphasize the point of view shift that is the trademark of the series.

I'll be checking this out next week for certain, and it may supplant The Practice as my Sunday television series.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
One heck of a great show. It had me hooked from the first minute or so, and did a pretty good job juggling its large cast. I'm really looking forward to next week.

And widescreen to boot, but who knows if that will be the case next week.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
It was OK, but I felt they went a little overboard; TOO MANY points of view on one show. Just because you have X characters, you don't have to use them all in the same episode, do you?

What with some of the character's "history" with one another, I felt like I had opened a book midway.

What do you call that change in photographic technique they used to segue to another character?

Real Name
John Doroshenk
I thought the show was good. They had interesting characters and Donny Walhberg actually impressed me with his acting. The only character the I'm not to sure about was the DA, I think that was who he was, but I think that was the point, to show he was a sleaze ball, but at the end he sort of redemmed himself. I like how they just started the show and didn't get into so much this is character "blah". The writers respect the inteligence of the audience enough to rely on you to figure out the relations of the cast. I liked that. We'll see next week how it keeps up. But I enjoyed it alot. It'll be a good follow up to Sapranos on sundays thats for sure.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know as I'd say the D.A. "redeemed himself"; that's just who he is - a very ambitious guy who would be pretty despicable except that his drive also applies to his job. He likes putting killers away, and attacks it with the same zeal as he does trying to become governor or... his othe activities.
I felt like I had opened a book midway.
I like it when TV shows start sort of in media res. Too often, I think the effort put into a pilot or premiere that is meant to play as a first episode keeps the producers from really planning how the show will work as a weekly series. "Boomtown", though, is going to work as a series.
Besides, TV series aren't like books, not most of them. They're collections of short stories, some more connected than others.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Did anyone see this show in HD? I suspect my local NBC affiliate might have been asleep at the wheel, because they did not show this program in HD. American Dreams, though, was broadcast in HD and it looked great.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i clicked on in the scene where some cop was knocking on some guys door.
his partner got a cell-phone call. the partner notices something suspiscious and while still talking to his wife or whoever it was pulls out his gun and investigates. the whole time, he's like "hold on...".
:rolleyes:what kind of police officer does that? is that standard procedure now? gimme a break. :rolleyes:
i changed the channel right there and then.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What do you call that change in photographic technique they used to segue to another character?
Annoying. Especially since my local NBC station cable feed jacks up the contrast so the first 5 minutes or so everything is extremely bright and you can't see anything but basic shapes.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have to agree. Too many points of view. It's like the show takes one step forward, two steps back all the time.

Mike

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Ted, the plotline (don't think spoilers are needed) was that his wife had attempted suicide some recent time before. A relative usually watches over her (I think she is kept sedated often), but she actually called him directly. It happened before they had reason to suspect anything, but he apparently couldn't just drop her call.

With the backstory they seem to be developing, it worked for me.

The only main character they could have skipped would have been the paramedic. She was brought in just to bring her in and she contributed nothing to the main story and very little character development.

I also realize, more in retrospect than at the time, how moving I felt the epilogue was. The actor playing the grandfather really hit the right notes of a man hiding his grief in his stories. If they can get that kind of caliber for guest spots, they really will have a winner.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
she contributed nothing to the main story
Except she was the one who found out the shooter was the driver, not the black kid in the passenger seat who ran away with the gun in his hand. I'd say that's a key contribution.

"Have a nice Southern California day."

Rob

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ted; Stuff usually doesn't make sense out of context. Don't judge a series by what you catch when channel surfing.
I liked it alot more than I thought I would, and it was alot less awkward than I thought it would be. I wish the white dectective and the DA didn't look so much the same however... I thought they were one character in the confusion of the non-linear storytelling. My favorite character was Ray, the cop with ADD;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
With the backstory they seem to be developing, it worked for me.
hmm...okay, with that backstory it makes a little more sense, but i still can't let it go. :D
that's harder to believe than three vulcans visiting earth in the 50's...oh wait...wrong thread....

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a very good first episode and I look forward to next weeks show. I hope they stick to the present format in that each episode stands on it's own rather than being a seriel like Homicide or Hill Street Blues (both great shows).

I'd like to know more about DW's wife. Is she having Post Pardom Depression/Mania like the woman in Texas who drowned her kids?

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I watched it last night and I liked it, I didn't mind all the point of views. I will watch it again.

I just got TiVo last friday and I am glad I did, Sunday nights are packed.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully things will clear up in future episodes (the web site is no help). When DW said to keep his wife out of the baby's room, I assumed it was alive.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Maybe when she goes in there all of the memories and pain come back and puts her in a deeper depression. I kind of like the fact that some things were not cleared up in the first episode.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I watched this Last night. I liked it. It probably made the most impression on me as any of the new show I've watched. However. And there is a big However. I don't think this show is ever going to fly with the average viewer. It demands too much of your attention. And you know how much the average TV watcher likes to devote that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks