Boomtown - 11/3/02 Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Spindler, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

An interesting episode (pretty much all about Fearless). What did you think about the stylistic choices in this episode? The ressurrection of Freaktown in present day scenes, which was so strange because of his expressions and poses, was pretty jarring. Having Fearless talk to him out loud was also pretty odd. I may have to see it in context to know if they are headed down a bad path or not.

The action scene was pretty good until they threw in the John Woo dive from the rooftop deal, which didn't seem particularly wise considering he was on a second story and could have shot them safely from where he was (if I have the geography of the scene right).

All in all, I'm a bit mixed about this one. The acting was pretty solid, but the two points above have me a little unsure.

What did you think?

2. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i liked the episode, but the concept of the show, that of the same scene being portrayed through the eyes of the different characters, seems to be falling away to some extent, so that the action portrayed seems much more similar to any other show than it played out in the first episode, for example.

in that episode, you saw the same scene from all the participents eyes, and then followed each of them on their path as they went to or from that scene. now it's a lot more like a normal setup, as we see what happens, and then just jump from the characters as they go about trying to solve the case. we see the beat cops, and the detectives, and the da, reporter and paramedic, but their stories and paths don't seem as intertwined as before.

this is a show built around a high concept,i know it must be tough coming up with scripts that demonstrate that concept every week, and without feeling repetitive. i guess some weeks it will work better than others.

3. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    A nice showcase for Fearless, but not a very good episode otherwise. The comic relief in the first half was really bad and clashed with the apparent murders of the woman and the girl. The action scenes in the second half were almost ludicrous. I'm not worried though - it's been an excellent show up until now, and all shows have off weeks from time to time.

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

FWIW, I think the comedic scenes were supposed to provide a parallel for the promise Fearless made to his friend.

Probably the most mediocre episode but you'll get an off episode here and there.

5. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Definately the worst episode so far. I just dont buy him taking out 4 cars full of russian mobsters with automatic weapons, Fearless or no Fearless.

Overall its still my favorite new show of the year.

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Have'nt seen this ep yet but I said the same on last weeks ep that the concept was not being held to as religeously and now I hear anoter ep is also pulling away from it, sounds like they are either failing to maintain a creative enough level on the writing to maintain this concept. Or They are bowing down to perceptions from the public that it's a hard show to follow. Either would be too bad. In a year where most of the new Cops shows I've tried (Robbery Homice, CSI Miami) seem a bit slow and stale. The initial Batch of Boomtown was very fresh.

7. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the statements here - weakest episode so far. It didn't follow the formula of the other eps - it was pretty much a straightforward story. I also thought the writing on a whole was unoriginal.

It was obvious the mom and daughter were going to survive when Fearless made his promise to protect them in light of what happened to his friend. And the fact that they weren't in the restaurant when it was bombed was telegraphed so obviously, even my half-blind, near sighted, 13-yr old dog saw it coming a mile away.

And don't get me started on the whole Fearless = Rambo thing!

Hopefully this is just a blip and they'll go back to the strong writing of the earlier eps.