What's new

NBC's BOOMTOWN = Rashomon, the series... (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Lately, I've been seeing commercials for a new show premiering this fall called Boomtown: a crime drama series that examines an event from every angle (from the viewpoints of the police, D.A.s, victims, perpetrators, witnesses, etc.). The series is from the writer of Band of Brothers (and stars one of the actors from the HBO miniseries...not sure what the actor's name is...he was also in Minority Report and Star Trek: First Contact), and claims to be "entirely original." Hmmm...the premise follows Rashomon (one of Akira Kurosawa's many masterpieces) to the letter. Nevertheless, I'm all for intelligent shows that follow a successful predecessor. Looks promising.

Any thoughts/comments? Anyone possibly see a screener yet? The show also looks to be shot in 16x9 widescreen, like many shows these days. Good stuff.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I just read in The USA Today that Boomtown should be an excellent show. They said the Pilot is great and that every indication points to the writers and producers being able to keep the show at a high level.

Donnie Wahlberg was on Band Of Brothers and now Boomtown.

I know who the other guy is but I have no idea what his name is.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Is it actually like Rashomon? I'd gotten the impression that it was more like "Big Apple" and "Law & Order" taken a step or two further - it not only includes cops, crooks, lawyers, victims, Feds, etc., but also politicians, press, and everyone else affected by crime.

I don't think Rashomon would work as a weekly series. Its gimmick is that it's told from memory, and thus the accounts disagree, which would get stale fast on a weekly basis. Also, "Boomtown" is going to have a LARGE cast; redoing the same scene from all their perspectives would slow the series down to a crawl.

Still, looking forward to "Boomtown". I really liked "Big Apple", and I'm getting the same vibe off this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks