What's new

Boomtown 10/27 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hmm I'm conflicted about this episode and the series in General. I still think its a decent show and I Like the characters. I also enjoyed the first few eps. This weeks show was entertaining and it held your attention for sure. But I found how they used the "Gimmick" of tis series better in the earlier eps. When they Time jumped around to the various viewpoints it was in the service of the plot, Like Memento, revealing a little thing tied to the characters that helped advanced the story. Now we seem to be time Jumple for Personal tidbits like the DA's wife at the end discovering the affair. How did this serve the main storyline. Or the Whole Halloween party in the beggining of the show ? Or the Cops pursuing the Dead Presidents ? I thought it would eventually tie in, It really never did. Now it's almost like they are just writing in this fashion to serve the series and not theplot. If that makes sense. A Series with this type of storytelling framwork needs consistant writing if it's going to pull it off. I'm not sure they are up to the Task.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I think Boomtown is my favorite new series and I thoroughly enjoyed the last episode. Personally, I like a little character development a la ER rather than the "down and dirty" approach of CSI.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I really like the series a lot. There is still enough of the stories intertwined, but I'm really liking what they've done with the characters. I've been really cold with the paramedic, but this episode really brought out a lot of her. Plus, I'm glad to see that the DA's wife isn't a totally clueless one-note character.

All in all, a good character development episode, with enough meaty story to keep it going.

All I need is this and CSI:Las Vegas to keep my faith in network television.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Boomtown is my favorite new series this year by far, but I wish they would drop the DA/Reporter love affair because it drags the show into soap opera/"The Practice" territory. It was interesting to see Joel's wife out and about, but I would still rather see less of the characters personal lives and more about the crimes.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
but I would still rather see less of the characters personal lives and more about the crimes.
There's a "Law & Order" show on just one hour earlier.

I think they're finding a good balance between the two, although this week's episode did seem more than a little padded: Like Graham Yost finished the script and realized that it was only thirty-five minutes long and Neal McDonough's character wasn't in it.

Speaking of which, I'm pleasantly surprised by how well Yost is doing with this show. His screenplays haven't really been much to write home about in the past (Speed, Broken Arrow, Hard Rain), and it's sort of unusual to see a guy with feature credits make TV their full-time job (David Koepp, for instance, only consults on "Hack").

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This episode was a little light, but they had to drop the DA/reporter affair sometime, like Larry wants. And it's not necessary for everything to all tie together in every episode; that might be a stretch. The separate plot lines do intersect, though.

I thought that was still Joel's sister-in-law, which we've seen since the first ep.

Liked the little joke at the beginning about the guy that wrote the "bus movie" -- Yost.

The stoned guys getting freaked out by the killer from Scream was funny.

//Ken

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It was his wife, (see previous episode). Also his sister in law is a brunette.

I'm not suggesting that Boomtown be Law & Order: Part IV, I'm just saying that I think that they've devoted enough time to the DA/Reporter affair and hope they don't spend much more time on it unless, in a future episode, the wife tries to off the DA.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I really liked Boomtowns first couple episodes but I didn't like this one too much. I didn't care about the situation the EMT was in and none of the other situations held my attention either.

I did like the fact that the DA's wife is not so stupid and the Scream scene was funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks