What's new

Blue ray to projector hook up. (1 Viewer)

matt pell79

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I currently own a VP 1 Olympus projector. I've used this as a dvd projector for a few years and have been very happy with it. I would like to move up to Blue ray one step at a time, hopefully without replacing the projector first. I tried to hook a blue ray player up to the DVI-I input (not hdcp) and it didn't recognize the signal. I wonder if there is any way to make this work. I've enclosed information about the unit; if anyone has any ideas, I appreciate your input.

Cheers,

matt pell79

Terminals (Input): RGB (Analog/Digital)/YPbPr; DVI-I x 1, Composite
Video/S-Video/YCbCr: 0.14" (3.5 mm) 4-pole Mini Jack x1,
Audio (RGB/Video); 0.1" (2.5 mm) Stereo Mini Jack x 1
Video Signal: NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, PAL, PAL N, PAL M, PAL60,
SECAM, YCbCr (NTSC3.58, PAL), YPbPr (480p, 1080i, 720p)
RGB Signal (Input):[/b] SXGA (Compression), XGA (True), SVGA/VGA
(Expansion/True)

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You'll have to use component video (Y/Pb/Pr). Unfortunately that model is using a proprietary cable made by Olympus that is not in production so it may be hard/impossible to find, you should call them up and ask.

You could also do component->VGA transcoder but I'd rather save up the money for a projector upgrade to full 1080p w/ HDMI.

matt pell79

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for your informative reply. I'm a novice with this technology and want to make sure I look for the right cable. Could you please clarify which input I will plug the component video (Y/Pb/Pr) proprietary cable into? RGB, DVI, or mini jack.

regards

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Sounds like from your clip above, that it'd go in the mini-jack. The plug would look like an iPod headset plug, except instead of have tip/ring/sleeve, it'd have tip/ring/ring/sleeve (four different contact areas.)

You might also be able to find something that might work, looking for some DV camcorder output cables that would do video/audio/audio on a mini plug like that. Might.

On the other hand, looking back again, you might be able to set the VGA input via a menu to accept YPrPb instead of RGB. HD-15 (VGA) to 3 or 5 wire isn't that uncommon.

Leo

matt pell79

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I've looked everywhere and this is the closest I can find to convert a mini jack to component video. I'm not at all familiar with this technology, so if someone knows whether or not it will work it will be very helpful. It is supposed to be for an i pod video / audio cable, but it looks like it should work.
(I enclose the image link below) Thanks!

Belkin AV Cable for 4G/5G iPod - Video

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Matt, the Belkin cable MAY work. Liabilities include the fact that it's got male connectors on the RCAs, which means unless the cable itself is long enough, you're going to need gender-benders. It'd take some experimentation to find out where Y-Pr-Pb were coming out on the cable, but it's only a few possible combinations. (Hint: try to find Y first -- only connect one at a time to the Y output. When the black-and-white picture forms, bingo! Then try and get the color.)

As for the other company, well, never heard of 'em, but there are countless companies like that (never heard of, that is.) But $12 for a specialty cable like that doesn't sound outrageous.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks