Bill Dana Show DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chas_Michael, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Has anyone been able to purchase the 6 show 2 DVD set of the Bill Dana Show at www.billdanaondvd.com ?

I've tried to order this (I get ERROR's at the checkout) numerous times, sent a few emails, and haven't received any response whatsoever????

2. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Whoever is selling this must think it's still 1985 in the Columbia House days. They need to wake up and do season sets.

hypnohighball likes this.
  3. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I got as far as Secure E-commerce Checkout Screen but can't go any further as I do not have money for this right now but I do intend to get it. I agree Season sets would be best but I really want to see it and fear this may be the only way. If anyone does ge tit, please do tell if it all looks as good as the clip on the Get Smart Collection.

By the by, I used Mozilla Firefox to do this and for your information Internet Explorer has recently changed to a new model that has tabs.

4. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I bought this and watched the first disc. All episodes so far have been more than 25 minutes. There are six episodes on two DVD-r's with labels on the top. They look and sound great to me except the second episode at times sounded like coffee brewing and it appeared that a fraction of a second or two here and there were lost, probably from damage. not editing. It came in a keepcase with disc beds on both sides. In between these clamped to the spine was an insert with a more modern pic of Bill Dana, some info as to what he is up to now and the development of Jose Jimenez. The first 2 episodes shown had an opening with Bill Dana and some floating heads, the third opened with an animated segment with real heads. I believe I saw two commercials and some sort of NBC presentation statement from the era. I did like this show a lot and look forward to the volume 2 that was mentioned in a letter that accompanied the package.

5. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Thanks for the tip.

2 DVDR's!!!! for nearly $30.00!!!

WTF is this?

hopefully a real company will issue complete season sets on factory pressed DVD's! As much as I'd love to see this show I cannot shell out the bucs for DVDR's! What a shame.[​IMG]

6. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Much as I would like to get complete episodes, until there's a legit release I'll stick with my CBN copies.

7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

RIP, Bill Dana.

I ordered this six episode set back in the day since I had no episodes and it turned out to be a good primer to the series that also showed the development not just of Don Adams' Maxwell Smart persona, but also Jonathan Harris' Dr. Smith persona. I just finished an episode right now as a tribute.

Unfortunately there was never a follow-up Volume 2 or any other releases.

Flashgear likes this.
  8. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

I know that Dana had been trying for years to get companies interested in the series without luck. Just too obscure unfortunately, although a much funnier show than many of the other short-lived sitcoms of that time period. Many popular and longer running black and white series couldn't get a DVD release so a one and a half season show like this one really had little chance.

Flashgear likes this.
  9. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    Would you believe ... I actually remember a line from this series after more than 50 years?

IIRC, Jose was asked to fix a bathroom sink. He put H on both the hot and cold handles.

He explained that one H stood for "Hot" ... and the other for "Here is the cold water."

Maybe you had to be there. :mellow:

Steve...O and Flashgear like this.
  10. Jack P

Jack P Producer

This would have been a more worthy release for DVD than some of the too obscure westerns IMO but that's just my subjective take. The grabbers of Adams and Harris tuning up for their most famous roles should have made the case for release. I sincerely hope it wasn't modern-day PCness over the whole Jose Jimenez character that scared labels off.

Steve...O, ChrisALM and Flashgear like this.
  11. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    I'll throw in some late 70s early 80s stuff. These may be repeats so pardon if they are:

Open All Night
    It's Your Move
    Spencer
    Devlin Connection
    Struck By Lightning
    Mr. Merlin
    Executive Suite
    Emerald Point NAS
    Filthy Rich
    Amanda's
    Condo
    Hello Larry
    It Takes Two
    The Two of Us
    Enos
    Alls Fair
    Mr. T and Tina
    Jennifer Slept Here ( I know this was mentioned on this thread)

JamesSmith likes this.
  12. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Enjoyed the themes to Mr. Merlin and Emerald Point. Good choices Frank.

13. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Oh crap, I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry

14. Jack P

Jack P Producer

You will get a tongue-lashing from Mr. Phillips the hotel manager for that! :D

15. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I had for years forgotten about the Bill Dana Show, but when I recalled watching it, I didn't remember it as being particularly funny.

About 6 months or so ago, I ran across some episodes on You Tube and was pleasantly surprised. I have wondered about the possibility for a release, but if Bill Dana couldn't get it out, that probably means the end for that. It's a shame though, as I found myself really enjoying the episodes on You Tube. I would immediately pick up a complete series set if one were to be released.

Flashgear likes this.