atcolomb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Angelo
Viewed the disc with the Alan Spencer commentary which was very informative. A goofy movie with some funny moments but one misses Barbara Feldon. Vittorio Gassman gives a notable performance as does Don Adams.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I didn't think it was all that great when I saw it during its original release at the age of 11 - I can't imagine it's improved over time.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
Get Smart is one of my favorite tv comedies from that era. I bought a used VHS of TNB around the time the complete series DVD set came out and have never watched it again. I found the 1989 special much better. But I may actually pick this up for those commentaries. Could be interesting.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
The commentaries are about the only reason I'd feel tempted to get it. Without Feldon, changing CONTROL to PITS and not giving us Max's classic KAOS nemesis, Siegfried, the film has always seemed like an alternate universe Maxwell Smart. The 1989 TV movie "Get Smart Again!" thankfully washed the bad vibe of this movie out (though the mid-90s short-lived TV series undid that save for the Siegfried episode).

Reactions: Tommy R

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I forgot about the 1995 series. I was curious to watch it, even though I’m sure it would be horrible. It got a DVD release IIRC. But I never got around to it. It’s the only GS-related thing I still haven’t seen.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
The Siegfried episode is worth a look (and especially for one hilarious line from Siegfried's daughter) but you can ignore every other part of it.

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It should be noted that it was originally intended to be R-rated, with actual nudity and also a few satiric shots at then-candidate Ronald Reagan. But Universal got cold feet on both topics and butchered the film. Some years ago I asked Mike Feinberg at Universal if the trims survived. He checked and sadly reported that they hadn't.

Reactions: RBailey

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell