What's new

Vudu ENTER THE DRAGON - ASPECT RATIO WRONG??? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
I've been slowly converting my hard copy blu ray and dvd collection to digital and must say have been very happy with VUDU, especially with their constant sales. However as I sat to watch the HD version of Enter The Dragon the other evening I noticed it was not the full 2:39: ratio (except for opening and closing credits) but a 1:85:1 print. This is the first time I've encountered a purchase from VUDU not in the proper ratio. Has anyone else run into other titles that are not in the correct aspect ratio. I emailed VUDU about but got the standard... if you are having a problem try it on another device reply.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And here I was thinking there was something wrong with the Criterion.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
There are a number of 2.39 films for which VUDU still has the 16:9 reframed version, particularly older Warner titles. If ETD gets upgraded to 4K this year as expected, the ratio will probably be correct this time.

In the meantime, with ETD being a Warner movie, you should have access to it on the other Movies Anywhere services. Looks like it's in the correct 2.39 on both iTunes and the Movies Anywhere app. Amazon and Google Play appear to have the cropped version; not sure about the others.

Hope that helps!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've been slowly converting my hard copy blu ray and dvd collection to digital and must say have been very happy with VUDU, especially with their constant sales. However as I sat to watch the HD version of Enter The Dragon the other evening I noticed it was not the full 2:39: ratio (except for opening and closing credits) but a 1:85:1 print. This is the first time I've encountered a purchase from VUDU not in the proper ratio. Has anyone else run into other titles that are not in the correct aspect ratio. I emailed VUDU about but got the standard... if you are having a problem try it on another device reply.
Saw your identical post on the Vudu Forums first and replied to you over there, but basically, this is what I posted over there:

Since you watched it all the way thru, Vudu probably won't offer a refund, but I would contact customer service anyway. However, be prepared for Vudu to place blame on Warner Bros and Warner to place blame on Vudu. The good news is that this is a Movies Anywhere eligible title, so you can check other MA retailers and even the MA app to see if anyone has the film in its correct aspect ratio all the way thru. There is a good chance that either iTunes/Apple TV or Movies Anywhere or both will have the film in the proper aspect ratio.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If ETD gets upgraded to 4K this year as expected, the ratio will probably be correct this time.
The 4K on Vudu would get corrected, but not the HDX version, unfortunately, since Vudu uses separate transfers for each resolution (SD, HDX, UHD). Unless they request a new HD version from Warner.

Underworld is 1.78:1 in HDX, but the UHD is 2.39:1 on Vudu. The HDX was never corrected on Vudu after the film was released in UHD.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The 4K on Vudu would get corrected, but not the HDX version, unfortunately, since Vudu uses separate transfers for each resolution (SD, HDX, UHD). Unless they request a new HD version from Warner.

Underworld is 1.78:1 in HDX, but the UHD is 2.39:1 on Vudu. The HDX was never corrected on Vudu after the film was released in UHD.

Vudu seems to be inconsistent on that. I think sometimes they do get updated HD masters, but I guess it depends. Like you said, maybe they have to specifically request it.

At any rate, this is one reason I'm not quite ready to give up physical media. :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
However, physical media has its issues too with aspect ratios from time and time.

It has indeed. :) But once you get a good presentation of a movie on a disc, it's nice to be able to rely on it being good (at least for a while), rather than trying to remember which digital platform has the better presentation.

But there are nuances to all of it, for sure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It has indeed. :) But once you get a good presentation of a movie on a disc, it's nice to be able to rely on it being good (at least for a while), rather than trying to remember which digital platform has the better presentation.

But there are nuances to all of it, for sure.
I'm just sick of the "streaming versus physical media" comments that are made every time an issue comes up with one of these digital platforms.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fair enough; my apologies.
No apologies needed, I utilize both home video formats out of necessity as I'm running out of storage space for physical media. With that said, I will be purchasing the 4K/UHD release of Enter the Dragon when it's released later this year. Streaming has its playback limitations and Enter the Dragon is a personal favorite movie of mine so I want the best audio and video presentations possible.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Since you watched it all the way thru, Vudu probably won't offer a refund
Vudu has no way of knowing if you’ve watched the film. I know because I’ve had a few conversations with them and they have stated as such. And I was refunded pretty much immediately in these similar circumstances.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
iTunes/Apple also have issues with some films being in 1.85 instead of 2.39, with the opening and closing credits only being in the correct aspect ratio. “The Poseidon Adventure” and “10” are two films that come to mind. So this might be an issue with some or all streaming services not getting corrected versions of films from the studios or distributors.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
iTunes/Apple also have issues with some films being in 1.85 instead of 2.39, with the opening and closing credits only being in the correct aspect ratio. “The Poseidon Adventure” and “10” are two films that come to mind. So this might be an issue with some or all streaming services not getting corrected versions of films from the studios or distributors.
The Year of Living Dangerously and Looker are another two I've stumbled across.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There are many across both platforms. Soon as I find one I call and get credited immediately

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The aspect ratio on Enter the Dragon has been corrected on Vudu across all resolutions (SD, HDX, and UHD). However, like most other retailers, Vudu is only offering the Extended Cut with no special features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks