What's new

Vudu Warner Brothers and Bad aspect ratios (1 Viewer)

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
A few years ago, when Filmstruck died, Warner Brothers gave me 4 films. I already had 3 of them on disc. The other was the 1954 version of A Star is Born. But when I watched it, it was panned and scanned to something like 2.0 if I remember rightly. Since it was a freebie, I didn't make a stink about it.

Since then, I've been able to watch the film in the right, 2.55x1 aspect ratio.

Recently, I wanted to see John Ford's The Informer. I rented it on Vudu, where it had a stretched wide aspect ratio. I turned it off quickly. I rented it at Google, and had the same problem. Clearly, it wasn't Vudu's fault.

Both movies are owned by Warners. I worry that someone there is messing up aspect ratios to fill more of the 16x9 TV ratio for the pay-per-view crowd. Is there someone at Warner we can talk about this?

btw, Vudu refunded my $4. But I failed for Google. That shouldn't be surprised. I have never been able to contact anyone at Google, and I used to be an editor at PC World.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
It does seem to be concentrated with Warner titles. The Rookie and Last Boy Scout are both wrong, though are correct on MoviesAnywhere.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Year of Living Dangerously is another one. It's only available on iTunes in a cropped to 1.78 version.

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
Are you sure it's only on iTunes? Try Google or Vudu. I think it's on all of the pay-for-view services...and only on Warner Brothers.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Are you sure it's only on iTunes? Try Google or Vudu. I think it's on all of the pay-for-view services...and only on Warner Brothers.
I meant it's only available in a cropped version, not that it's available only on iTunes and not anywhere else.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I meant it's only available in a cropped version, not that it's available only on iTunes and not anywhere else.
The Year of Living Dangerously is available in its OAR of 2.35:1 on the Movies Anywhere app and on Amazon Prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks