What's new

Best use of music in a movie (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I agree with a bunch of choices already posted:
SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION has a gorgeous cue toward the end as Morgan Freeman walks the meadow in search of the rock wall.
JAWS - eerie, unwordly music as we watch pieces of the blown-up shark sinking beneath the surface (what is that odd instrument? Williams used it for EIGER SANCTION also).
STAR WARS - One of the few quiet moments of the film contains my favorite music: Luke contemplates his destiny outside his home before a double sunset.
CHINATOWN: The main titles sequence remains one of Goldsmith's most haunting works. It is so evocative and nostalgic! Damn...makes me want to visit my parents' era.
EXODUS: Triumphant main titles. Ernest Gold's finest hour.
Once heard, it's impossible to forget.
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST - the whole damn thing, really.
GHOST AND MRS.MUIR - The cue toward the end in which Gene Tierney returns home directly after she discovers Miles has been two-timing her. The music in the original Herrmann score is actually quiet and subtle. I happen to love what Elmer Bernstein did with it for his CD re-orchestration, in which it builds to an incredible crescendo of multi-layered strings.

I would add:

COCOON - Death of the alien in the swimming pool. Lovely Horner Cue.
FIELD OF DREAMS - Speaking of Horner, what a magnificent finale/end credits sequence.
BLUE LAGOON - The montage in which the children grow up. My favorite Poledouris score.
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S - Has there ever been a more beautiful piece of movie music than "Moon River"?
AGONY AND THE ECSTACY - Goldsmith's sublime prelude.
MEDICINE MAN - Where to start? Probably with a cue called "The Trees." God, this is Heaven on Earth.
WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1971) - This, along with THREE MUSKATEERS (1974) must be Michel Legrand's reasons for being born. A shame that neither is currently in print.
MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT - Ever heard of Michael Lewis? One long cue - perhaps the end credits - is to die for. Never released to CD that I know of.
THE TIME MACHINE (1960) - The Time Travel theme and Weena's theme haven't been out of my head since I watched this at age 10.
OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE - Devine Delerue score. Not available except on bootlegs, though, which sucks.
7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD - What can I say? Bernard Herrmann was my hero long before I knew his name, or anything about film music. His main title theme and just about every subsequent note had this 8-year old reeling.

God, I could go on forever. I'll probably pipe in again later. Meantime - thanks for this thread. Wish I'd thought of it myself, being such a fan of film music.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Hands down without a doubt the best use of music in a movie or TV series:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms in the most brilliant episode of The West Wing and for that matter all of television: Two Cathedrals. I can't even describe the emotion that you feel when you see that last scene and hear that song.

"Can you tell us right now if you'll be seeking a second term?"

Wow

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
SUPERMAN, when young Clark Kent is leaving home to begin his long journey to the North Pole. From the point he discovers the piece of his spacecraft in the barn to the moment he leaves... the music is wonderful. John Williams wrote the score.

POLTERGEIST, Jerry Goldsmith's entire score may be one of the best scores ever composed. The entire sequence of Dianne passing through the closet door to travel to other side... I get goosebumps just typing it.

THE THIN RED LINE, the scene where they raid the Japanese village, and overwhelm the Japanese soldiers completely. The camera pans around as we see some Allied soldiers in a frenzied attack, others in a confused state of shock.. Japanese men lie on the ground, begging for for their lives, other try to defend helpless comrades... A powerful scene already, but Hans Zimmers music pushes it right to the top.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

JohnE, that piece is called the Carmina Burana , and I agree, it works beautifully in Excalibur. Unfortunately, I can't remember the composer. Wagner's Siegfried's Funeral March is the other major piece of classical music used in the film.

I am so ashamed of myself for not mentioning the wonderful Jerry Goldsmith before! All time favorite by him is Patton, especially the march at the beginning of the film, right after Patton's opening speech.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I can't quickly find the original reference, but to Lynda-Marie's suppliment I add:

Carmina Burana is by Carl Orff.

Leo Kerr

Cary_H

Second Unit
Here's some that come up right away for me.

DeBussey's Clair de Lune from The Right Stuff. When they flash back and forth between the scene where the Mercury astronauts are at the Texas BBQ gala watching the feather dance on stage, and another where Chuck Yeager puts a hole in the desert after checking out the spin characteristics of the NF-104.

Giordano's La mamma morta from Philadelphia. (Maria Callas)The scene where Tom Hanks introduces Denzel to opera.

Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay from Topgun.

The remix of Armstrong's Wonderful World/Somewhere over the Rainbow, during the credits of Meet Joe Black. (Williams?)

I've Got the Power, from Bruce Almighty.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Come Sail Away- Virgin Suicides, The (and I hate that song)
Tiny Dancer-Almost Famous- (I agree with that)
Blade Runner Blues-Blade Runner(Balcony)
Jungle Boogie-Pulp FIction (great opening credits)
Satisfaction-Apocalypse Now
End, The- Apocalypse Now
Always Look On The Bright Side of Life- Monty Python & The Life Of Brian.
Any use of a Burt Bacharach song
Everybody's Talkin'- Midnight Cowboy
Born to be Wild- Easy Rider

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
James Bond Theme (John Barry) - as used in all of the Connery-era Bond movies. Probably the most widely recognized piece of music in history, and essential to the early success of the Bond films.
The James Bond theme was written by Monty Norman who scored Dr. No. However John Barry did the arrangement.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
There are so many fine examples:

Jerry Goldsmith's scores for A PATCH OF BLUE and PLANET OF THE APES (about as diametrically opposed as two scores can be, even more amazing that they were written by the same person!)

John Williams' for STAR WARS, SUPERMAN and E.T.

All of Nino Rota's scores for Fellini films

Elmer Bernstein's for THE GREAT ESCAPE and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Alfred Newman's for THE SONG OF BERNADETTE and HOW THE WEST WAS WON

But if I had to choose only one score, it would have to be:

Bernard Herrmann's VERTIGO.

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't see this mentioned, but maybe I'm the only one who likes the scene in Cast Away where the score is first played (after Tom Hanks finally makes it off the island).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks